Your Cricket English and Kashmir Willow.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Regardless of who is paid to use what (Let's face it the list of current professional players using English willow is going to be longer anyway).

As JonAd says its down to the growing conditions.

English willow has more moisture in it, so the fibres of the wood are more spaced apart, so the wood is more springy than Kashmir willow giving it great ball striking qualities. Whereas in Kashmir willow the fibres are more dense, so the bat is generally harder and less springy, thus giving less striking satisfaction.

As a general observation, you can't compare the bat Tendulkar uses to the same bat in your local cricket store. They aren't the same. Is a very good Kashmir willow bat as good as a decent English willow bat? I don't know, logic tells me that there must be some very good pieces of Kashmir willow around where the fibre structure is pretty similar to English willow but I doubt very much these pieces of willow ever make it to a shop. But as this is the Your Cricket section, I suppose your choice of bat should come down to 2 things. 1: How much money do you have to spend and 2: Do you hit the ball sweetly. Because if you can't get bat on ball does it really matter what your bat is made of ;)

Last edited:

JonAd

School Cricketer
I think you'll find that you may well be using balsa wood.

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
English willow, feels better, the pick up is great, and you have more power behind the shot. The kashi bats are more heavier as well, so yeah. EW all the way!:)

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Lol at you Indians who are saying Kashmir is the better type of wood just because Sachin uses it.....

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Lol yeah, most indian players use kashmire bats, just coz sachin's timing is amazing doesnt mean that the bat he uses is better quality.

morson93

Club Cricketer
Kasmir is a lower grade willow which is much heavier in many cases and not as strong. It also does'nt have many grains like english, However English willow is likely to last longer, Much more atractive and can be done more to. There is only one grade of kasmir but english theres around 5. G1+, G1, G2, G3, G4, Kasmir.

Oh and english willow has a better ping.

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
English Willow is better, thus you'll find that English Willow bats are about 6 times more expensive then Kashmir bats.

But, high quality Kashmir willow can match up to the quality of English.

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Well.... third grade english. Or fourth grade english willow. Which are obviously the much much lower grades of willow. Which lacks, good pick up. and ping.

Jit

International Cricketer
Lol at you Indians who are saying Kashmir is the better type of wood just because Sachin uses it.....

totally agree in india if a bat has mrf sticker and says sachin people will buy it thats how stupid people are india they just buy because of stickers on bat

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
totally agree in india if a bat has mrf sticker and says sachin people will buy it thats how stupid people are india they just buy because of stickers on bat

You calling me stupid? :mad::p

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I use Kashmir willow cos I get my bat custom made by manufacturer in Jallandhar. I dont need to know what English willow does. I can tell you my bat wiegs feather and ball goes like bullet off it.

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
I use Kashmir willow cos I get my bat custom made by manufacturer in Jallandhar. I dont need to know what English willow does. I can tell you my bat wiegs feather and ball goes like bullet off it.
Probably because you play with a rubber ball:p

lightbulb

Club Cricketer
English willow is what type of wood you would use facing a hard ball-it's a lot springier, durable (wont crack with a hard ball) and therefore more expensive. Kashmir is cheap because its hard, not durable (will crack with a hard ball) do it's only meant to be used with a soft, windball.

Users who are viewing this thread