ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

Params7

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
That's correct. There would be no IPL today had Misbah Ul Haq not played that shot.

The butterfly effect.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
They've just won the World Cup though, so it's possible they may try and build on that success with more OD stuff - that's why the IPL came about isn't it? Because they won the T20 WC?
Agreed that IPL begun as India won the T20 WC, but don't expect a similar ODI league to begin in India.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
On the issue, I'd feel its waste of time discussing this buff, until Pawar is president of ICC. He's a corrupt politician, and don't expect Cricket to have good days ahead. ICC will become richer though;).

Agreed that IPL begun as India won the T20 WC, but don't expect a similar ODI league to begin in India.
But I'd personally love an OD league (not exactly like IPL) either replacing the BCCI Corporate league or by shortening the IPL by four weeks, featuring five overseas players per side with maximum of four teams:yes. Instead of two months of complete slogging, its better to have a month of decent cricket and a month of dumbslog;)! Even OD's are exciting at the end, after the occurrence of T20 leagues.
PS: The reason for origin of IPL is not just the T20 WC win. It was ICL, which prompted BCCI to implement IPL idea with immediate effect:yes!

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
ODI what??? The cricket calendar is already crammed enough, and you want another ODI league thing to come in? God save our cricketers

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
There's no changing now that India is in control. No one else would dare upset them, as they are the money machine. They've pretty much killed the game with the IPL twenty20 crap, they dont care though as they're making more money than ever.

yep the ipl is an uncompetitive batsmens paradise. too boring to watch imo. plus rugby would be a great role model for cricket to try and follow. personally i believe the DRS will be used in england and australi, noway are India getting out of that one.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah DRS is where we see India's influence ALL the time. I'm personally astounded that the DRS was used in the World Cup. In those scenarios though, where Aus and Eng want DRS but India don't, then I think we'll see the usual knee bending. Aus and Eng will succumb to India's wishes and to be 'nice' India might offer to split some cash from a new 7 match ODI series in October or something...:facepalm And so the stupidity of international cricket would continue.

Liked the example of the IRB as a good governing body. If cricket could make it to that model, we'd be halfway there.

I'm not so sure if England & Australia will bow to IND wishes that easily though, thats why i say it going to be a potential defining confrontation. Since unlike S Africa who caved to IND this year of the URDS use, AUS & ENG boards are the next two most financially sound boards after the BCCI & we both know they have become well accustomed to using URDS for the the last 2 years. I dont think ENG with a potential # 1 ranking up for grab @ home this summer vs IND if they win - will want to not use the URDS.

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
would agree with war. eng and the aussies will want their way. and india will have to play with drs. still do not understand why india doesnt like it. whats the problem?

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I replaced/constrained a league to get this fit
But you hardly see any big names participating in the corporate league, unlike the IPL.
If there will be one ODI league, I am sure it will be as big as the IPL, and as Sai said, there is no room to fit in one more league running on similar grounds.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
But you hardly see any big names participating in the corporate league, unlike the IPL.
If there will be one ODI league, I am sure it will be as big as the IPL, and as Sai said, there is no room to fit in one more league running on similar grounds.

Reduce IPL T20 then!
Or see that IPL and ODi league alternately year by year. IPL isn't upto its expectations and its the beginning of downfall of IPL. Small change in it won't effect much.

I'm sure someone will put a counter to my dialog! One thing what I want to say is "Where there is a will, there is a way!"

War

Chairman of Selectors
Club vs country? BCCI hardly cares - The Times of India

Finally the BCCI publicly admits what most have known all along, that the IPL is private competition being fronted as a international one.

Plus i dont know who that BCCI representative is fooling, everyone knows no other country in the cricket world can create its own version of the IPL & pay players that kind of money.

This is another disgraceful example of IND power in the game just bullying. The IPL should have never been allowed to created with such a bias towards the Indian public - MY GOD:facepalm. Plus with the news that the man who ran the commonwealth games in IND has be charged with corruption charges, we have those scum running cricket now.

I hope players from the less fortunate nations like Gayle, Malinga although they are in their rights to look to secure their financial futures. Would give up playing for the IPL, since this clearly aint no legitimate club vs country argument anymore, since BCCI doesn't care about what the IPL is doing to other nations players.

Users who are viewing this thread