How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters

grkrama

National Board President
but would skill matter to get selected,as long as you scratch around and make heavy runs, is strike rate also considered?

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I dunno if I'd like a 1/25 chance of being world class. I'm not playing 20 years worth simulated cricket to be paul collingwood.

there's realism and then there's bitter realism which I play games to escape.

grkrama

National Board President
But if skill is down it should be harder to make the runs or take the wickets etc to get selected.

your discounting will there block, yes its going to be difficult to score,but im pretty sure whatever the skill of batsman as long as he is a batsman and not tailender,we can always score runs . for example say i score 300 with sir jadeja ,imgoing to get selected no matter how i scraped it right.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The point I'm trying to say really is in order to mirror talent, certain players should earn skill points easier or harder. So if I start a career player generally I would have to play one shot really well 10times before my skill goes up a level in that shot (making it easier to play well)... But occasionally you would get a career player who levelled up after 5 shots, or 15 etc.

(Or however the skill mechanic works in the game, the above is just an illustration)

So you can always succeed or fail, but it adds variation to each iteration of the career, and acknowledges that not everyone can be Tendulkar, and some poor bastard has to be Kerrigan

grkrama

National Board President
exactly i agree to that ,not every one is gifted like lara or srt ,some have scratch through like g.smith or cook but still be great. thats what im saying the way they earn the skills faster or slower is not going to affect their success rate atleast in odi/tests.
so just because we have a player who skill doesnt grow fast doesnt me we gota bummer who cant break into the squad.infact it will be more rewarding and challenging succeeding with such a player

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
not talking about playing style i'm talking about base talent and the ease with which they acquire the skill points.

it would be boring if every time you play a career mode just basic competence (on the part of you the player) gets you 10000 test runs at 55.46 or 700 wickets at 20.01

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Online Cricket Games Owned
not talking about playing style i'm talking about base talent and the ease with which they acquire the skill points.

it would be boring if every time you play a career mode just basic competence (on the part of you the player) gets you 10000 test runs at 55.46 or 700 wickets at 20.01

It would be boring for the cricket enthusiast, however many people won't want to play through twenty years of cricket just to average 30. People want to be legends. Hence they play career modes.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
^ Couldn't have put it better. Only hardcore cricket lovers might want something like what blockerdave is referring to, but I think that would constitute less than 1% of the target audience.

Last edited:

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I'd prefer it if I had to be genuinely good at the game to be a player with very high attributes and stats. I'd rather not coast through career and would like it if there was an occasional save where you were like Chris Rogers. Not getting a proper chance until you are in your mid 30s after biding your team in first class cricket.

It'd also be great if every career was different. For example, you are going to be dropped from the test team before Johnson has a shocker, you get a hundred and go on to forge a successful career, whereas on another day the unplayable yorker was bowled and you have to work hard to get back in the test team three years later but only average 35 at the top level. Hopefully there isn't a basic formula of three to five in years of easy first class cricket abroad and at home followed by success in tests where you eventually get the captaincy and retiring with 20000 test runs at 75. This is a game where I would genuinely like it if I wasn't good enough.

grkrama

National Board President
It would be boring for the cricket enthusiast, however many people won't want to play through twenty years of cricket just to average 30. People want to be legends. Hence they play career modes.

wouldnt mind being the team guy that finishes off in style or ,the classic opener that just takes the shine of the ball then gets out on my 10 th playthrough career mode

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Do you mean the batsman skill level within the nets? So career mode with a very good player would obviously be harder than with a very poor one.
That would be a good solution in my opinion as I can't see one difficulty level working for career mode.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
If you set the difficulty in options menu of the game, there's a note about how it doesn't impact the career mode.

Users who are viewing this thread