Tips and resources on becoming a better cricketer!

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
How to bowl Leg Spin?
When I try to bowl leg spin, I always get googly :p

DrewBi

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm about 13 and I'm playing under 14's. I'm a fast bowler, I was just wondering how much I should bowl and how often as in practicing at home.

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I play under 14's I was just wondering how often should I bowl a slower ball, cutter, cross seamer or Yorker.
I think you should stick to the basics with the new ball, and try more variatons at the death.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I play under 14's I was just wondering how often should I bowl a slower ball, cutter, cross seamer or Yorker.
Yupe @CerealKiller is right. You should first stick to basics and try to focus on good line & length. You could try practicing on yorkers, before slower ball.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
So I reread my above post and realised I didn't give any suggestions for fixing it if anyone identifes themselves in it. Writing from the perspective of kids in formative teen years...

The first one is in slot of ways the easiest. Essentially you need to get to a point where you take the game seriously, but not get *too* nervous (everyone will say some nerves are fine)

First thing would suggest is sit down and activrly think about the role cricket plays in your life.
How does it impact your family life? (It doesn't, or not much)
How does it impact your school?
How will this match impact your future career? (Unless planning on pro cricketer, it won't)

Effectively, understand that while it's important at the time, realistically cricket, on the whole is not a major issue in your life.

Would also suggest packing all your gear up night before, get clothes ready etc. Spend the morning eating a good breakfast, read the newspaper, read a book, put the iPod on etc. Goal here is to keep mind active without making you tired to the game and prevent the morning from being stress out time.

At the ground, is going to be hardest. Team dynamics and expectations will be an issue here. Thoughts of ipod, jogging laps to keep warm etc come to mind but there is a balance between the team nature etc for me to comment too much.

The second issue was me when I was younger. Although I'm a Bowler so it wasn't a huge deal. Primarily this is because the confidence come from thinking 'I can play Jim' rather than 'I can deal with leg spinners'. If your ok in the nets, then your probably ok against most types of bowling. Some time with a bowling team, or go visit a club and have a hit with them can help dramatically...

Of course, it might be a technique issue or the like, I'm less qualified on that front so will leave that to others.

Last edited:

DrewBi

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
So I reread my above post and realised I didn't give any suggestions for fixing it if anyone identifes themselves in it. Writing from the perspective of kids in formative teen years...

The first one is in slot of ways the easiest. Essentially you need to get to a point where you take the game seriously, but not get *too* nervous (everyone will say some nerves are fine)

First thing would suggest is sit down and activrly think about the role cricket plays in your life.
How does it impact your family life? (It doesn't, or not much)
How does it impact your school?
How will this match impact your future career? (Unless planning on pro cricketer, it won't)

Effectively, understand that while it's important at the time, realistically cricket, on the whole is not a major issue in your life.

Would also suggest packing all your gear up night before, get clothes ready etc. Spend the morning eating a good breakfast, read the newspaper, read a book, put the iPod on etc. Goal here is to keep mind active without making you tired to the game and prevent the morning from being stress out time.

At the ground, is going to be hardest. Team dynamics and expectations will be an issue here. Thoughts of ipod, jogging laps to keep warm etc come to mind but there is a balance between the team nature etc for me to comment too much.

The second issue was me when I was younger. Although I'm a Bowler so it wasn't a huge deal. Primarily this is because the confidence come from thinking 'I can play Jim' rather than 'I can deal with leg spinners'. If your ok in the nets, then your probably ok against most types of bowling. Some time with a bowling team, or go visit a club and have a hit with them can help dramatically...

Of course, it might be a technique issue or the like, I'm less qualified on that front so will leave that to others.

Thanks that helped a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread