Solve your computer problem with the help of experts!

lion100lion

International Coach
@
Abhas and anyone...
I want to use the broadband connection of my pc(0.5Mbps downloading speed) on my mobile. But I don't have a WiFi modem or any hardware card. I visited this site which said that WiFi adapters are good and cheap.
I basically want to see the World Cup matches live on my smartphone. So my question is :-
Are WiFi adapters good ? Can I see the live matches(given 0.5Mbps speed of my broadband) on my smartphone smoothly ?

Last edited:

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@
Abhas and anyone...
I want to use the broadband connection of my pc(0.5Mbps downloading speed) on my mobile. But I don't have a WiFi modem or any hardware card. I visited this site which said that WiFi adapters are good and cheap.
I basically want to see the World Cup matches live on my smartphone. So my question is :-
Are WiFi adapters good ? Can I see the live matches(given 0.5Mbps speed of my broadband) on my smartphone smoothly ?

At 0.5 Mbps the buffering will be too much and you will find it very difficult to see the match, i would prefer you to activate 3G in your mobile data by contacting your service provider, put a 3G booster pack and watch it. The speed you mentioned is way too low for streaming.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
You're much better off buying a wifi router for your needs. It should cost you about Rs 700-800 for a basic wifi router, and you would be much at peace than tethering with a computer. - Tenda N4 Wireless N150 Easy Setup Router - Buy @ Rs.710/- Online | Snapdeal.com

For starters, you'd always have to keep your computer on and logged in to use the internet connection sharing - You'll end up paying more for electricity within a month to cover the cost of the router.
Software based tethering is a very tricky thing to accomplish. It could work very well one day, and no matter what you do, it might not work at all the next.

In your current configuration, you just need to plug in the ethernet cable from the modem to the router, plug one ethernet cable from the router to the desktop PC, and a with just a little configuration, you're good to go.

lion100lion

International Coach
Just one more Qn...If we use a WiFi modem, can we use WiFi on mobile without switching on the pc ? (I mean switching on only the modem)

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My laptop runs on Windows 8.1. Suddenly, a few days ago, what was a perfectly working computer went a bit strange. The icons at the bottom right of the taskbar - next to the clock - disappeared. I still have the battery level, wifi and volume icons down there but I used to have others such as a control panel for my sound card. That is missing even if I click on the arrow to show the hidden ones. It's just not there. Also, the tiles on the Start screen (weather, mail, calendar, etc.) have suddenly stopped revolving. I don't get any notifications when I get a new email. It's like the tiles are just broken.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened and how I can fix it? Thanks.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Does anyone have any idea what might have happened and how I can fix it? Thanks.
Sounds rather like a video driver issue, but I've not heard of that kind of thing before.

The simplest thing would be to attempt a system restore - just click start and type that in and then see if you have any recent rollback points to do. It will then undo system changes back to that point, so hopefully the one you choose will be back when it was fine.

Otherwise, there's things like the System File Checker that might help.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Sounds rather like a video driver issue, but I've not heard of that kind of thing before.

The simplest thing would be to attempt a system restore - just click start and type that in and then see if you have any recent rollback points to do. It will then undo system changes back to that point, so hopefully the one you choose will be back when it was fine.

Otherwise, there's things like the System File Checker that might help.
Thanks Matt. I tried restoring it to a point 11 days ago. When it finished it came up with an error saying it couldn't complete properly because an antivirus might have been stopping it from accessing a file. I was going to try again but the icons appear to be back and the live tiles appear to be rotating again. So I'm going to see if it stays that way.

I forgot to mention the other strange thing the laptop was doing was not opening Skype when the computer starts, despite me having checked the box for it to do so in the settings. That seems to be working again too.

A

A.R123 Max

Guys I am suffering from a big problem. I tried to install office 13 and Photoshop CS5 and both gave one answer during installation that installation encountered an error. Please help guys.

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Guys I am suffering from a big problem. I tried to install office 13 and Photoshop CS5 and both gave one answer during installation that installation encountered an error. Please help guys.
What is the error code?
Your installation file maybe corrupt.

Users who are viewing this thread