Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Australia

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
My idea is to have group stages similar to the one in this Worldcup and Instead of calling it a group stage it should be called as qualifying stage. If the associates are good enough like they were in this Worldcup then let them play the main round where you can have 8 or 10 teams playing against each other before semifinals and finals. Yes it will make Worlcup longer but its a premium tournament. When you can have qualifying stage for an unimportant tournament like champions league and you can give a special window to it in ftp then surely you can increase the number of days for the Worldcup too.

Ye makes sense. But if there is an increase in w-cup matches ICC would still need to control the bilateral series, T20 leagues outside of w-cups that is so disorganized, so that if players have to endure a 10+ they will be fresh enough to play good cricket.

By mistake the ICC stumbled on the best formula for the T20 W-cup this year, its one of cricket's continuous blunders that after 40 years and 10 tournaments a the sport can't settle on a 50 overs cup format :facepalm

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Richest yes, decision matters yes, succesful NO!

Currently ranked 7th on the test rankings and you just had the world cup taken away, if you call that successful well your standards are pretty low.

Every single ICC event winner, 2 time ODI WC winner, 1 time T20WC Winner, Been on Test Ranking 1. Been on ODI Ranking 1.

Bill Gates will always be on the List of successful person . He wont be excluded just because he is going through the bad patch.
Get your facts,stats and Chats right.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Its all past by, but could we possibly remember that we are talking about a silly sport and stay calm while talking about things? We got a few reports of posts, nothing that I'd personally consider actionable by themselves but it got to the point where I probably would have closed the thread had things not naturally moved on.

We have a thread for World Cup format somewhere: my position is that you shouldn't have a competition that forces the associates (and Zimbabwe and Bangladesh for that matter, despite the latter getting to the quarter finals instead of England) to "qualify" or "prove their place" or whatever since they've already done that; its called the World Cricket League Division 1 and the World Cricket League Championship. You either have a round of qualifications where everyone including the test teams qualify for a tournament in a centralised location (look at very old European Football Championships for an example of what I mean) or you give test nations free entry and make everyone go through the group stages. The main thing that associates need are ODIs against full member states and the only times those happen is in World Cup years, and all these "good formats" do is take those away from all the associate teams. If Scotland get more than the ONE game they got against a full member in all of 2012 and 14 and the THREE they got in 2013 (god bless Pakistan) all at home then I'd accept a competition with a preliminary round - and its the same for the other associate nations and even worse for the Netherlands and the UAE who are completely ignored. That isn't going to happen.

There already is a tournament for all the test nations to play each other - its called the Champions Trophy. The World Cup should be designed to grow the bloody sport, not for the three big nations to suck up even more money that they don't need. I don't give a shit if it creates "boring" games or whatever - although that argument is wrong, until the South Africa-New Zealand semi the best game in this competition was Scotland-Afghanistan, with Ireland-UAE close behind. Beside, the proposed format of me is four groups of four, with quarters, semis and a final. That's going to be much quicker than the terrible format that the ICC are using in 2019, even if you inflate it a bit to guarantee your India-Pakistan game.

Rugby had World Cup. What that's done is help to grow the thing in a kinda big market called the USA, as well as develop the quality of the game in other nations. That's exactly what Cricket needs to do: if the competition takes too long then start playing two games a day and stop having useless rest days in the middle of a SEVEN WEEK tournament.

What I'm saying is listen to former Scotland player Rahul Dravid, and that guy called Sachin something or other. They get it.

You can't respond to an England fan by telling them we will never win the World Cup. We know that, and have done since 1992. You're going to have to raise your game.

Trust me, its funnier when you get that response as a Scotland fan... If Scotland ever win the Cricket World Cup then I'll be... very surprised, quite frankly.

its mostly meant to resonate with ind - pak folk

This is an old post but feel free to still post them, I personally just don't think they are funny and scroll past them.

What I don't like about this World Cup schedule is that we have missed some great matches like Ind vs NZ, South Africa vs Aus... etc. I think there should only be 10 teams and all play against each other i.e. about 9 matches each. And then followed by 2 semifinals and a final.

:mad

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
What I don't like about this World Cup schedule is that we have missed some great matches like Ind vs NZ, South Africa vs Aus... etc. I think there should only be 10 teams and all play against each other i.e. about 9 matches each. And then followed by 2 semifinals and a final.[DOUBLEPOST=1427390160][/DOUBLEPOST]
But why ?

Yes. Those two games were badly missed. Seeing the way those teams played this tournament, India vs NZ and Australia v South Africa would have been fantastic.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Remarkably enough, you aren't going to and shouldn't see every combination of fixture at a World Cup.

That's what bilateral series are for, and Australia and South Africa played one of those last year...

grkrama

National Board President
More than just world cup i think associates need to get a lot of inbetween games atleast A sides and tours at the very least, if a financial working model to meet the expenditure alone is made it will prove great. Once they get their game a notch more it woudl become hard to ignore them for major tournaments, when they can turn up from 4 years of hibernation and put up this show, im sure they will throw meatier punches if they are constantly in touch with intl games.

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I am always up for the associates, mostly for the Irish & Afghan team. Ireland has been the most consistent upset-provider and some quality bilateral series with the A-team of the test playing nation will help them alot and there win in Big tournaments will no longer be called as upsets.
Moreover Ireland need some quality bolwers. Their current lot suks big time.
I was really hoping for some quality performances from Zimbabwe too , they actually did but they were not able to handle that last moment pressure .

Hope ICC comes up with some good decision to make the associates more better.
ODI rules need to look into again. This 4 fielder rule is as bad as the current English team. I read somewhere that ICC looking to bring back the 5 fielders rule, if they do that will be perfect .Current rules favour the batsman in every aspects either take Free hit or No-ball checking.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
[HASHTAG]#wegaveitback[/HASHTAG] ✈

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Ah again, if anyone beating India is a cause for celebration in Pakistan, then by all means, celebrate away.

I don't want to be diplomatic here, Its straight away same case in India as well. By the way, This same very thing was portrayed on that Mauka Mauka campaign.... And I was talking about that, Even they said its India vs World. This is too much optimism. I feel for indian people. Media takes thing to a next unwanted level by building so much expectations.

grkrama

National Board President
ya they just want to run crappy ads its mostly nonsense from star..real expectations were low at the WC start, only after beating SA we thought ok may be have got a chance.
and tbh i was rooting for pak when riaz was steaming in. Both teams did well from the respective states they came into the WC

Users who are viewing this thread