Ashes 2015 - Australia tour of England July/September 2015

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
9 (NINE) of the 17-man Australia squad for the Ashes is 30+ years old. The Dad's Army stuff that has been going around here is most definitely true.

True but that is a little over half the squad. I've always been of the view that you need a mix of youth and experience. Plus in this modern generation is 30 really that old?

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
England squad to face Australia in first Test: Alastair Cook (Essex), Moeen Ali (Wors), James Anderson (Lancs), Gary Ballance (York), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Notts), Jos Buttler (Lancs), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Adam Lyth (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Wood (Durham).

There we go then.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
England squad to face Australia in first Test: Alastair Cook (Essex), Moeen Ali (Wors), James Anderson (Lancs), Gary Ballance (York), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Notts), Jos Buttler (Lancs), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Adam Lyth (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Wood (Durham).

No surprises in there, pleased to see Rashid is still in contention

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
True but that is a little over half the squad. I've always been of the view that you need a mix of youth and experience. Plus in this modern generation is 30 really that old?

No it's not at all, especially not for batsmen. Just look at Kumar Sangakkara for one of many examples. This "Dads Army" label is just the media's lame attempt to stir things up. I don't see them writing off Jimmy Anderson for being 32. As I said in my previous post this has always been Australia's way, many a player has not made it into the team until their thirties.

Here's is an interesting analysis: The optimum age for a cricketer | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
No it's not at all, especially not for batsmen. Just look at Kumar Sangakkara for one of many examples. This "Dads Army" label is just the media's lame attempt to stir things up. I don't see them writing off Jimmy Anderson for being 32. As I said in my previous post this has always been Australia's way, many a player has not made it into the team until their thirties.

Here's is an interesting analysis: The optimum age for a cricketer | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

The problem with that though is when you've got an aging team and a lack of visible younger options knocking on the door to replace them when they retire in the coming years, something Australia clearly have in the bowling department but are perhaps lacking slightly in the batting.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
The problem with that though is when you've got an aging team and a lack of visible younger options knocking on the door to replace them when they retire in the coming years, something Australia clearly have in the bowling department but are perhaps lacking slightly in the batting.

Yeah maybe, they've got the likes of Neville, Khawaja and Doolan who will be in contention. Looks like the Marsh brothers are in line also. I don't particularly rate Shaun and haven't seen much of his younger sibling. They certainly appear to be okay in the pace bowling department for the time being.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Yeah maybe, they've got the likes of Neville, Khawaja and Doolan who will be in contention. Looks like the Marsh brothers are in line also. I don't particularly rate Shaun and haven't seen much of his younger sibling. They certainly appear to be okay in the pace bowling department for the time being.

If his body holds up, I'll be utterly disappointed if M Marsh doesn't end up as the all rounder of his generation. The lad is a serious talent. Him and Stokes, amplify the next generation of cricket.

Marsh Jr. has just slammed back to back tons. Oz will be nuts to leave him out!

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Harris out of the first test. That's a shame, as I enjoy watching him bowl besides the English wickets that often fall to him. So I guess it will be the 2 Mitch's with Hazlewood as the third seamer being preferred over Siddle.

D

Deleted member 149013

I got the 2007 Ashes wrong and 2009 wrong. 2011, 2013 and 2014 right. I am going with my gut and predicting England as winners.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Was thinking the other day about the 2001 Ashes... Than at was an excellent Aussie side with a number of all time greats say their peak. Imagine the odds you'd have got then that we'd reach 2015 without Australia winning another Ashes in England since!

On an entirely unrelated note - who has Ian Bell got compromising pictures of and what disgusting act were they up to? There is no other possible explanation for his continued presence in the squad. If he averages +30 for the series I will eat my hat.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Was thinking the other day about the 2001 Ashes... Than at was an excellent Aussie side with a number of all time greats say their peak. Imagine the odds you'd have got then that we'd reach 2015 without Australia winning another Ashes in England since!

On an entirely unrelated note - who has Ian Bell got compromising pictures of and what disgusting act were they up to? There is no other possible explanation for his continued presence in the squad. If he averages +30 for the series I will eat my hat.

Now I want Bell to score back to back hundreds!

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
If Harris is just injured for the First Test, then I can't see him being too upset, because I really can't see Cardiff doing much for the pace bowlers, so avoiding running himself into the ground is probably for the best.

Be interesting to see if England try to fit two spinners in. I worry that they might by dropping a batsman, which might be dangerous.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
[QUOTE="MUFC1987, post: 2962908, member: 10893"

Be interesting to see if England try to fit two spinners in. I worry that they might by dropping a batsman, which might be dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they'll drop Ballance, He won't score more than 20 runs an innings with his technique against the Aussies, or any half decent bowling attack.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Be interesting to see if England try to fit two spinners in.

They technically could but it's very rare that England play two spinners. Occasionally did it with Swann and Monty, both of whom were more established but it didn't always work so well.

Users who are viewing this thread