DBC Feedback & Suggestions Report

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
First of all thanks for taking the time to send the email, secondly, I really enjoyed your ideas, and was incredibly impressed with the presentation, really fantastic.

I think that if within the next 5 iterations of DB if even 75% of these suggestions were implemented then DB would surpass any other sports game on the market!! Unfortunately I think even powerhouses like EA Sports would struggle to get all that and more into a game, and financially I think it would be impossible for BA. In an ideal world I think these suggestions, implemented correctly, and incrementally other the next few versions would be where I would like the game to be, certainly its going in the right direction.

The amount of stats, records etc is definately something I would love to see, cricket after all is heavily stats driven.

As someone who isn't a gamer, graphics are not so important to me, but as a cricket fan again your suggestions for animations are spot on. Quite how much of this could be implemented across all current platforms I don't know, I have the feeling ps3/xbox360 simply wouldn't be able to cope with the amount of code needed, and the weight of man power/hours needed to make this work would also, I believe be out of BA's reach.

However, again I reiterate that this is definately the direction I'd like cricket gaming to go, and I congratulate you on your fantastic effort, insight and presentation, well done Sibi!!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i certainly applaud the effort, and am delighted that my creation of Arosa Sri Lanka is now no longer the saddest thing anyone has done with DBC.

not read it all by any means, but skimmed a lot of it. i'd say there are some good things in there (particularly regards to differing actions/backlifts etc.), some things that i disagree with or have alternative ideas on (mostly regarding skills and the modelling of the skills - i find it VERY odd to go as deep as you have in some areas, but not for instance differentiate skills per format, batting skills vs different types of bowlers, and bowling skills with new/old ball) and some i profoundly disagree with (the amount of additional extras in the presentation section are a recipe for RSI from pressing the "skip" button; and i'm baffled by the suggestion of a long break to plan strategy during rain interruptions).

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Also, not to be a douche, but your suggestion for commentary " similar to the ones used by websites such as
espncricinfo where they
simply explain what happened. Often that is the best form of commentary that although repeats often but never feels overused as it contains mostly terminologies and rarely adjectives."
is a recipe for disaster the absolute worst commentary in any game ever.

a cricket game differs from a website (and radio) in that we can see what happened. it differs from TV in that we had an active part in what happened. commentary needs to shut up, only speak when absolutely necessary, and describe the situation contextualised as far as possible to what the human player is doing. (it's worth noting that the best TV commentators do this, and the worst ones prattle on describing every ball.)

commentary needs to step back and let the frankly wonderful ambient sounds in the game come to the fore. if they improve the variety of crowd sounds, this is only more so.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I was going to write a long rambling post telling you how you could shorten this thing to make it both more approachable and more useful but then I realised that would be a little hypocritical of me; so instead I'll simply say that "less is more".

One thing I will say is that you don't need all those things after your bibliography and could easily have a solid document - you have the whole laws of the game in there and lots of those cover things like "how to remove debris from the pitch" which is never going to be in any sports game. Keep the things that you reference in your document, and bin the rest.

Yeah I understand what you are trying to say. Firstly I would like to quote a part of my message that I had sent to Ross.
"The first 186 pages are actual content while the others contain trivial information put in one place so it would be easier to take note if required."

And also a quote from one of my previous posts...
"And yes, could have cut, but I just thought if BigAnt wanted to add info for players who are new to cricket then let me compile them here as much as I can."

I will duly edit the first post to signify the same.

Now about the 'how to remove debris', can you please elaborate? I am not sure which section you are taking about. Although, I must say I tried my best to stay relevant to what could be achieved in a game.

First of all thanks for taking the time to send the email, secondly, I really enjoyed your ideas, and was incredibly impressed with the presentation, really fantastic.

I think that if within the next 5 iterations of DB if even 75% of these suggestions were implemented then DB would surpass any other sports game on the market!! Unfortunately I think even powerhouses like EA Sports would struggle to get all that and more into a game, and financially I think it would be impossible for BA. In an ideal world I think these suggestions, implemented correctly, and incrementally other the next few versions would be where I would like the game to be, certainly its going in the right direction.

The amount of stats, records etc is definately something I would love to see, cricket after all is heavily stats driven.

As someone who isn't a gamer, graphics are not so important to me, but as a cricket fan again your suggestions for animations are spot on. Quite how much of this could be implemented across all current platforms I don't know, I have the feeling ps3/xbox360 simply wouldn't be able to cope with the amount of code needed, and the weight of man power/hours needed to make this work would also, I believe be out of BA's reach.

However, again I reiterate that this is definately the direction I'd like cricket gaming to go, and I congratulate you on your fantastic effort, insight and presentation, well done Sibi!!

Thanks a lot :) I am glad that you share the same ideas :)

@SibiNaayagam Awesome stuff mate, read till 20 pages...Loving it,will probably be the first book I have ever read...:D

Haha would love to hear what you think when you are done. :)

Great stuff buddy!!!

Thanks Angad :)

i certainly applaud the effort, and am delighted that my creation of Arosa Sri Lanka is now no longer the saddest thing anyone has done with DBC.

not read it all by any means, but skimmed a lot of it. i'd say there are some good things in there (particularly regards to differing actions/backlifts etc.), some things that i disagree with or have alternative ideas on (mostly regarding skills and the modelling of the skills - i find it VERY odd to go as deep as you have in some areas, but not for instance differentiate skills per format, batting skills vs different types of bowlers, and bowling skills with new/old ball) and some i profoundly disagree with (the amount of additional extras in the presentation section are a recipe for RSI from pressing the "skip" button; and i'm baffled by the suggestion of a long break to plan strategy during rain interruptions).

Thanks blockerdave :)

Now, about the depth, I was always going to try and discuss the ideas in-depth as I wanted to flesh the idea as much as possible.

The Pre-Match presentation suggestions I gave were only meant to be a substitute to the lineup card/weather forecast and other ground surfing shots which function as a cover up to the loading screen.

And finally the break, its not a long break that I suggested. What I meant was a strategy planning screen incase of a 'long break' (Long break meaning the amount of time lost in rain in game). And of course if the person is going to go with the same strategy as before, he is going to be able to skip right away.

I hope these cleared your doubts. :)

Also, not to be a douche, but your suggestion for commentary " similar to the ones used by websites such as
espncricinfo where they
simply explain what happened. Often that is the best form of commentary that although repeats often but never feels overused as it contains mostly terminologies and rarely adjectives."
is a recipe for disaster the absolute worst commentary in any game ever.

a cricket game differs from a website (and radio) in that we can see what happened. it differs from TV in that we had an active part in what happened. commentary needs to shut up, only speak when absolutely necessary, and describe the situation contextualised as far as possible to what the human player is doing. (it's worth noting that the best TV commentators do this, and the worst ones prattle on describing every ball.)

commentary needs to step back and let the frankly wonderful ambient sounds in the game come to the fore. if they improve the variety of crowd sounds, this is only more so.

Ok commentary now. As there has not been a true benchmark for commentary, I would say everything we discuss with respect to the best possible game commentary technique is majorly theoretical.

But the concept I suggested where based on two things...
One is EA's FIFA series commentary which I personally like. It is a personal point of view.
And the other is the following conversation I had with Chief...
Post your questions about the game here! | Page 1166 - Don Bradman Cricket 14 Forum on PlanetCricket Forums
Post your questions about the game here! | Page 1166 - Don Bradman Cricket 14 Forum on PlanetCricket Forums

I am sure there will be a lot of debate on the techniques used until one of them succeeds. But at the end of day, I would be glad to be proven wrong in any of my suggestions if that meant we get a better game.

Last edited:

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Commentary for cricket games is something I believe to be impossible to get right, and with that in mind I'd have to go with "less is more". That is not to say I want less commentary in game, quite the opposite in fact, but I'd certainly be happy with not having commentary every ball, especially when its so repetitive. IRL cricket commentary is fairly repetitive, with certain commentators so much so they almost have a catchphrase, but what stops it seeming so repetitive is the analysis, stat presentation, tactical awareness and prognostication, weather and pitch condition updates etc.

"great shot for 4 there" or "that's fairly raced away to the boundary", "great delivery" "beaten all ends up" are heard ad nauseum throughout a days play, but seldom does it bother the viewer/spectator. "He's given that a real tweak" however really annoys me. One of the better bits of commentary in DB14 was the seldom heard "they got off to a slow start, but they're going well now" (or something similar) is the sort of thing there should be more of.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now about the 'how to remove debris', can you please elaborate?

I was referring to one of the Laws of Cricket (Law 2 I believe) that you referred to as something that you didn't need to cite: nothing about the rest of the thing

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
"great shot for 4 there" or "that's fairly raced away to the boundary", "great delivery" "beaten all ends up" are heard ad nauseum throughout a days play, but seldom does it bother the viewer/spectator. "He's given that a real tweak" however really annoys me. One of the better bits of commentary in DB14 was the seldom heard "they got off to a slow start, but they're going well now" (or something similar) is the sort of thing there should be more of.

This is what I meant by espn style, cause I didn't know what else to call it.
For example:
14.1 de Lange to Kohli, 1 run, a good length ball stops on Kohli a touch, he chips it in the air towards mid-on and to the fielder at long on.

Now my proposed way of saying this in game is something like:
Chipped in the air safely between mid-on and long-on. The fielder at long on collects it. A good length ball stopped on Kohli a touch though.

Now here, the sentence has 1. Type of shot he played (Chipped in the air) 2. Was he in control or not (safely) 3. Where did the ball go? (between mid-on and long-on) 4. Who collected the ball (The fielder at long on collects it) 5. Any interesting remark (A good length ball stopped on Kohli a touch though).

If you could record the parts separately then there would be thousands of possible lines for even a small pool of descriptions that the engine can put together depending on the game progression. The same can be recorded on different excitement levels as needed. But it would take a good commentator to have the same tone for all phrases in one level.

I was referring to one of the Laws of Cricket (Law 2 I believe) that you referred to as something that you didn't need to cite: nothing about the rest of the thing

I see. Actually it was my mistake to not include another note. In the Laws section I intended the highlighted/white text to be relevant to the game, according to me, while the grey text was supposed to be just there if you want to read them. In other words, I didn't want to be an absolute editor, the appendix is just a compilation. So yeah the section you quoted, Pg. 200 and Law 10, is in grey :)

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If someone could do a report on this report for me, that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread