Designing an AI Engine for Cricket

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hello blockerdave , I think most important part of any game is 'Adaptive AI' Both( EA and DBC) Game developers Need Better AI response for offline users ...previous game DBC 14 AI better than Ea Sports, but new technology is available in present, so why not use in the Future
.....so i hope use Adaptive AI technology in future DBC 17 Game ......so friend whats your view about my view...still i wait for your views and other anyone .....

I don't think anyone has bleated more about the AI shortcomings - in fieldsetting, bowling, bowling changes and all aspects of batting than me. My posts show a lot of that and suggestions for it including an entire thread about how the DBC17 settings could be co-opted to give a varied, adaptive bowling/fielding AI.

Before it got derailed this thread was an excellent further discussion of AI principles.

BA are in a better position to deliver the sort of AI we want than anyone else. I hope DBC17 takes a leap forward from an AI perspective. And the track record shows it will end up better than it starts.

gak99

School Cricketer
I don't think anyone has bleated more about the AI shortcomings - in fieldsetting, bowling, bowling changes and all aspects of batting than me. My posts show a lot of that and suggestions for it including an entire thread about how the DBC17 settings could be co-opted to give a varied, adaptive bowling/fielding AI.

Before it got derailed this thread was an excellent further discussion of AI principles.

BA are in a better position to deliver the sort of AI we want than anyone else. I hope DBC17 takes a leap forward from an AI perspective. And the track record shows it will end up better than it starts.

Thank You for appreciate my views ....ok

D

Deleted member 9102

Very interesting post OP - well written and easy to understand, but goes into a lot of depth and covers a lot of things. It was a nice read :).

I hope BA are looking at this thread because we have some excellent suggestions here; although the guys at BA are talented and they understand cricket so likely would have thought of most of these concepts and ideas which have been discussed, so perhaps much of it is easier said than done in it's implementation.

DBC14 was/is excellent, and was a great first iteration that they supported and updated brilliantly, but the AI was quite a glaring weakness and one area which I hope sees much improvement for DBC17.

gak99

School Cricketer
I am amazed that none of the developer has commented on this thread yet , pretty awesome idea it is.

Dear friend,

Allrounder18 ........ I want my views and ideas spreading All Planet cricket viewer and Game developers ++Big ant Studio especially ++ so ....... can you help me on this topic ++Adaptive AI ++ spread
all over........| I wait for your response...Thankyou

rishabh9627

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Just want to point out some very glaring mistakes that BA did in making DBC14 which I personally don't think that any other gaming company would do if they knew about cricket.
1 - we all know in test match cricket bowlers bowl at a constant pace. they don't change it much. But in DBC 14 u will see that bowlers are constantly changing pace over by over. sometimes they bowl fast and sometimes bowl a cutter or slower one. no one does it in real test cricket.
2 - in DBC 14 I've even hit sixes when the ball hits the top of the bat. i mean on the sticker or even above that. this is just not possible.
3 - in real test cricket every team tries to bowl a line outside off stump or on the stumps. but in DBC 14 every bowler will bowl atleast 2-3 deliveries in an over on the leg side no matter how good the bowler is. it just takes all the fun out of the test match when you want to bat like in a real test match batsman does by deciding which balls to play and which to leave. I've even played on legendary difficulty
4 - rubbing the ball to make it old for reverse swing is just horrible. I've tried for atleast 60 overs rubbing the ball once before every delivery and still I don't get the ball to wear out and reverse swing no matter what kind of pitch it is.
5 - I've never seen the ball spin like it actually does when pitch is dry and have cracks, if anyone remembers ind vs aus 2014-15 test series VK was captaining 1st test nd nathan lyon was turning the ball beautifully on a day 4 dry adelaide pitch
6 - some batting stances are actually ridiculous. the lofted square cut is so ugly that even a tail ender in a real test can't play like that. then comes the late cut which can pe played on almost any kind of ball. how is that possible. i mean can u even imagine a batsman hitting a six on a yorker by playing a late cut. tell me why there has to be only aggresive ground shots. can't a batsman play a normal ground shot.
7 - one more horrible shot that a batsman plays in this game is when a bowler bowls a full or good length delivery outside off stump on 5th or 6th stump line batsman plays a straight drive on that kind of a delivery playing the ball so much away from the body without getting any edge and he is able to hit the ball to mid off or mid on.
8 - we all know about the endless fielding problems of fielders walking , superman fielders while catching , lazy keeper when collecting the ball nd dislodging the bails , no actual run out situations when AI batting.

I've got an endless list of problems with technicality in this game in terms of batting and bowling but these are some of the most important ones which takes the fun out of the game.
I'm not saying the game is bad.
I've been playing it for 2 years now and still play it but so much glitches and problems can't be corrected in just one version.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
Half of your points have absolutely nothing to do with AI?

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just want to point out some very glaring mistakes that BA did in making DBC14 which I personally don't think that any other gaming company would do if they knew about cricket.
1 - we all know in test match cricket bowlers bowl at a constant pace. they don't change it much. But in DBC 14 u will see that bowlers are constantly changing pace over by over. sometimes they bowl fast and sometimes bowl a cutter or slower one. no one does it in real test cricket.
2 - in DBC 14 I've even hit sixes when the ball hits the top of the bat. i mean on the sticker or even above that. this is just not possible.
3 - in real test cricket every team tries to bowl a line outside off stump or on the stumps. but in DBC 14 every bowler will bowl atleast 2-3 deliveries in an over on the leg side no matter how good the bowler is. it just takes all the fun out of the test match when you want to bat like in a real test match batsman does by deciding which balls to play and which to leave. I've even played on legendary difficulty
4 - rubbing the ball to make it old for reverse swing is just horrible. I've tried for atleast 60 overs rubbing the ball once before every delivery and still I don't get the ball to wear out and reverse swing no matter what kind of pitch it is.
5 - I've never seen the ball spin like it actually does when pitch is dry and have cracks, if anyone remembers ind vs aus 2014-15 test series VK was captaining 1st test nd nathan lyon was turning the ball beautifully on a day 4 dry adelaide pitch
6 - some batting stances are actually ridiculous. the lofted square cut is so ugly that even a tail ender in a real test can't play like that. then comes the late cut which can pe played on almost any kind of ball. how is that possible. i mean can u even imagine a batsman hitting a six on a yorker by playing a late cut. tell me why there has to be only aggresive ground shots. can't a batsman play a normal ground shot.
7 - one more horrible shot that a batsman plays in this game is when a bowler bowls a full or good length delivery outside off stump on 5th or 6th stump line batsman plays a straight drive on that kind of a delivery playing the ball so much away from the body without getting any edge and he is able to hit the ball to mid off or mid on.
8 - we all know about the endless fielding problems of fielders walking , superman fielders while catching , lazy keeper when collecting the ball nd dislodging the bails , no actual run out situations when AI batting.

I've got an endless list of problems with technicality in this game in terms of batting and bowling but these are some of the most important ones which takes the fun out of the game.
I'm not saying the game is bad.
I've been playing it for 2 years now and still play it but so much glitches and problems can't be corrected in just one version.

1. Test bowlers change pace, maybe not the extent of T20 but bowlers still do it especially if the situation suits it (variable bounce, big partnership, spinning track etc.).
2. This isn't a fault. This goes back to the fact that the game simulates the result and picks a graphic best suited.
3. Agreed.
4. A pitch doesn't affect swing and although it seems that reverse swing is missing (haven't tested it yet) it's not a 'very glaring mistake'.
5. I've seen the ball spin a lot, sure sometimes it spins the wrong (a more valid complaint) but it spins nonetheless.
6. Lofted square cut isn't that bad, and the graphics don't have an effect on the game so again not 'very glaring'. Im sure I've seen AB hit a yorker over third man. Yes it's way to easy to do it in game but it still happens in real life. Who really cares if it's aggressive or normal? Just time it and pretend it's normal.
7. Read point 2.
8. I agree the fielding is terrible but I've seen run outs in the game since the latest patch.

Also this isn't the right thread when barely anything is AI-related...

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
4. A pitch doesn't effect swing and although it seems that reverse swing is missing (haven't tested it yet) it's not a 'very glaring mistake'.
Reverse swing isn't missing. It doesn't "reverse" in the sense of an inswinger going out etc. but is present in the game as the old ball swinging, which it definitely does if you shine the ball.

rishabh9627

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Reverse swing isn't missing. It doesn't "reverse" in the sense of an inswinger going out etc. but is present in the game as the old ball swinging, which it definitely does if you shine the ball.
But the actual problem is shining the ball
I've tried it so many times and for so many overs but still the ball doesn't looks that old as it looks when you simulate and then play in between the overs.
Also realistically the actual cricket ball doesn't take more than 25 - 30 overs to start reversing in test cricket if the ball is old and the pitch is favourable to reverse swing.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Maybe your not throwing the ball back into the old pitches enough :spy

D

Deleted member 149013

Of what I know Indian’s are usually peaceful people. Do you find it odd, every so often a random Indian comes out of nowhere starts an obvious fight, disrupts the thread in question. More mysterious is they are never seen again, suddenly disappear. It’s a familiar pattern, it keeps repeating. Happens way too much to be a coincidence, usually when activity is at its height.

Fissionmailed

Associate Captain

How funny would it be if this was ever a mechanic, see how much ball tampering you can get away with before the umpire notices, cough lollies being the most risky but provide the best shine effect!

Probably not that funny.

Now that I think about it how about a blitz the league style game where cheating and match fixing are common game mechanics. :p

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
How funny would it be if this was ever a mechanic, see how much ball tampering you can get away with before the umpire notices, cough lollies being the most risky but provide the best shine effect

Haha yeah why not?! :D ... It happens...often...its an art form for some!!! So yeah kinda like GTA V where you could see how much b*** tampering you could do before the bouncer spots ya?

Also maybe in DBC 17 if you leave disc in the freezer over night, you get steepling bounce mode for 10 overs!

Of what I know Indian’s are usually peaceful people. Do you find it odd, every so often a random Indian comes out of nowhere starts an obvious fight, disrupts the thread in question. More mysterious is they are never seen again, suddenly disappear. It’s a familiar pattern, it keeps repeating. Happens way too much to be a coincidence, usually when activity is at its height.

Maybe?

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

It is not that odd at all. Either some of them would have got the game illegally and would come here to complain about the bugs. Or they would genuinely have a problem of not being able to communicate their issues like everyone else does. In a way, if they had got the game legally and had come on here to share their points, I would just be happy that the game has reached out to them. If their way of presenting a post could disrupt a thread, I believe there are many of us here who can bring it back to order before it stretches too far.
About them disappearing, that would be cause, I guess, they couldn't really understand the culture of PC and rather chose to stay away.

How funny would it be if this was ever a mechanic, see how much ball tampering you can get away with before the umpire notices, cough lollies being the most risky but provide the best shine effect!

Probably a legal way you can tamper the ball, which is just letting the batsman try and hit more deliveries or you could just keep banging in short. That helps the spinners though...

Users who are viewing this thread