Hindi Cinema Discussion

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Traffic (2016) - Really entertaining! Remake of the Malayalam hit by the same name, inspired from real life event that happened in Chennai. Manoj Bajpayee was subdued but was very effective. All the actors did a great job even though Divya Dutta hammed her way through it. Was a pretty crisp film and well shot. 3.5/5

It was a hit in Tamil & Malayalam, planning to watch it in Hindi.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
It was a hit in Tamil & Malayalam, planning to watch it in Hindi.

It didnt do that well in Tamil (Chennaiyil Oru Naal).It was only an average grosser, though it got positive reviews.

Meanwhile back on topic - Mohenjodaro trailer is god damn awful! Completely blunts expectations. Too much of gimmicks and gloss but the substance didn't peek through at all. Hrithik looks nice, but the trailer basically told the whole story and in a "not at all interesting" way. Only hope right now is AR Rahman's music as he has never gone wrong for an Ashutosh Gowariker film (e.g. Lagaan, Swades, Jodhaa Akbar)

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Thats an atrocious trailer !!

And so many weird things going on for a movie setup in the indus valley civilization. Looks like this will be a totally wasted opportunity

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
And so many weird things going on for a movie setup in the indus valley civilization. Looks like this will be a totally wasted opportunity
I think people should leave the fact that it is not historically correct.It is a fictional movie.
The trailer was released 2 days ago and I came to know about it just today.I didn't see a single share on FB.
It is a very bad trailer. Hrithik's dialogue delivery makes me cringe.Hedge looks awesome.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
^^The problem is, this movie was hyped with being a movie set in the indus valley civilization. And that Ashutosh had done 2-3 years of research on it. And yet, with just a few trips to the National Museum in Delhi, I can tell that people in the Indus Valley Civilization did not dress in silks and stitched clothes and fancy costumes.

I am all for suspension of disbelief in movies. But you cannot make a period drama and get such basic stuff wrong.

Can't believe this is from the same guy who made three excellent and fairly-well researched movies: Lagaan, Swades, Jodha Akbar

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
I can tell that people in the Indus Valley Civilization did not dress in silks and stitched clothes and fancy costumes.
After seeing some articles,some of the researchers said mostly the women on the Mohenjo Daro didn't wear anything on their top so it would be tad bit difficult to portray in a bollywood movie.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
After seeing some articles,some of the researchers said mostly the women on the Mohenjo Daro didn't wear anything on their top so it would be tad bit difficult to portray in a bollywood movie.

Do you remember Asoka. Might not have been a great movie, but their research on costumes and sets were pretty good. And these actorscould have worn clothes in the same style as that - long strips of clothes, instead of stitched designer wear

Anyways, just going by the trailer it looks like there will be bigger issues than incorrect setting and airborne crocodiles - they seem to be using the setup for Indus Valley for a love story and nothing else

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
A little late, but here's my review of Sultan

Sultan - Very entertaining masala fare from Salman, Anushka and Yash Raj. The first time I watched it in theatre, I was set at the expectation of 'Bajrangi' level. Therefore my theatre experience was underwhelming and I almost came out with quite a bit of negative emotions. I expected too much out of it after initial reviews. But I gave it subsequent viewings with friends and my perception changed pretty drastically. The movie is a masala movie at heart, but it uses a lot of feel good tactics and a very authentic setup to invest people into the drama. Its a drama which is supremely well executed. Salman Khan continues his upward trend as an actor with a very emotionally charged performance. To me, his Bajrangi act was his career best, but Sultan comes very very close. Anushka is outstanding as the fiercely independent girl who plays his wife. Its a Salman-Anushka show and its tough to see a heroine stand tall opposite Salman. The music of the film is fabulous with almost all songs very well picturizd, and the BG score raises hair in quite a few places (esp. the Rise of Sultan theme, "Khoon Me Tere Mitti".... :D). Negatives are well, the film rushes itself at many places and therefore certain scenes and the logic behind them look extremely silly. Also the second half is quite long and could use the scissor treatment. Overall, Sultan is an entertainer and not just an entertainer for the hardcore masses. It has something for everyone.

Rating: 4/5

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Just watched Madaari yesterday.... So here's my review

Madaari- A very good film for those want to go to see the acting skills and storyline and not just for entertainment. Irfan just rules in the film. The plot is great and given out with a bit of suspense. Jimmy Shergill also makes his own place in the film with a charm of acting and dialogue delivery.

@Naman Thakur told you That madaari would be the one to watch...

Users who are viewing this thread