Tennis Thread

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm definitely not accusing him, but the man is superhuman at times that you just can't help but wonder!

When Murray failed to break at the start of the second set at 0-40 I just felt that was all Djoko needed to start taking control.

I think the telling fact was that the first two sets Murray played about as well as he could, whilst Djoko just wasn't finding the lines and making quite a few unforced errors. Always felt like Djoko had room to improve and Murray could tail away.... as happened.

----------

Also, as much as PEDs could help, without the natural talent to find winners and craft around the court to win points, you'll only ever be a Ferrer to the likes of Federer.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
yeah, PEDs aren't going to take someone half way up the rankings, but you would definitely say conditioning is winning titles these days and possibly deciding a few matches in the earlier rounds, in which each win will carry a significant pay day. if djokovic is using PEDs then even without them he'd still have a few slams and be in the top 4, but he perhaps wouldn't be no.1 and have 6.

the thing with djokovic is that earlier in his career he had a lot of respiratory and stamina problems. I do find it a bit odd is that a guy with these problems could somehow rise above them to not become a brilliant athlete, but to be probably the best athlete in the world, in any sport. the feat of playing two 5 setters over 3 days that he did last year to win the aus open 2012 was unbelievable.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Didn't know about that regarding Djoko, but for him his step up seemed more of a mental thing. A bit like Murray he was a great scrambler, but when he had his breakthrough slam victory that came from taking the ball earlier and gambling on winners to finish points. He just seemed to find the belief that his game was good enough and he hasn't looked back... probably helps him that Nadal's predictable physical collapse has occurred during his rise.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Andre Agassi had to beat Rainer Sch?ttler, Arnaud Cl?ment and Yevgeny Kafelnikov to win 3 of his 4 Australian Opens. When you consider that Andy Murray has had to face Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic in his grand slam finals it shows just what he is up against. I think if any of the current top 4 were around alone in a different era, they would have been utterly dominant.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I didn't know that either. Although if all of them are using it I guess it's a level playing field so that's fine.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
nadal killing federer today. A lot of people had nadal down as finished but I seriously doubt it, I don't think he'll quite reign supreme over the clay season as in the past because djokovic is so close to him on clay now but he's still favourite for the french and his form has generally been good at wimbledon so he'll be in the mix for that. murray in particular has been hammered by nadal at wimbledon.

fed does look like he's beginning to let day light creep between him and the other 3 though as well.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Should probably bump this.
What a match! No idea why Djokovic suddenly decided he was a serve and volleyer though especially as he was winning most the base line exchanges. Just tired?

Andy Murray - Wimbledon Champion :cheers

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Murray just got lucky there . :spy

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
It doesn't match the US open for relief, but my god, that was amazing.

best moment in sport for me. I couldn't stand up at match point, god knows how he was able to run around like that.

koeloe

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Did anyone watch the Australian Open men's final? Two legends. Can't believe Roger won a grand slam at the age of 35. Against Rafa of all people.

Users who are viewing this thread