Steam Controller for PC Version

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Just wish everyone was nice to one another.

Oh I'm perfectly nice to everyone. Mine was a genuine question: I think I recall bluey posting in the dbc14 hacks and mods section and being "alright". Round here he's at Douche-CON 1.

The possibility of a rail spike through a temporal lobe could not be ruled out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46200

Oh I'm perfectly nice to everyone. Mine was a genuine question: I think I recall bluey posting in the dbc14 hacks and mods section and being "alright". Round here he's at Douche-CON 1.

The possibility of a rail spike through a temporal love could not be ruled out.
Is that site editing or some clever cliché talk designed to confuse me...? Either way the event horizon has meet it's zenith...? Peace out.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
This thread has gone off the rails quickly. Can we just get back onto the topic of Steam Controllers and DBC17? I'm genuinely interested in whether anyone else is using one and how they're configuring it.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Is that site editing or some clever cliché talk designed to confuse me...? Either way the event horizon has meet it's zenith...? Peace out.

It was auto correct and should have been lobe not love.[DOUBLEPOST=1488385754][/DOUBLEPOST]
This thread has gone off the rails quickly. Can we just get back onto the topic of Steam Controllers and DBC17? I'm genuinely interested in whether anyone else is using one and how they're configuring it.

Apologies, yes it was an interesting thread sorry for messing it up.

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
i have steam link and steam controller and they are great. I am using the normal configuration right now, one thing i would love is to use
the "controller HUD" on screen, it shows the position of the "virtual sticks". It works only on some games it seems, in dbc i get only
a blue transparent screen.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
i have steam link and steam controller and they are great. I am using the normal configuration right now, one thing i would love is to use
the "controller HUD" on screen, it shows the position of the "virtual sticks". It works only on some games it seems, in dbc i get only

Try a third party Xinput viewer. I used to use them to show my controller inputs on Youtube vids for DBC14.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I can get the controller HUD on screen for DBC17...I'm not using Steam Link, however, so I don't know if that is the factor...shouldn't be, though. The thing that I have noticed using this is that thumb motion on the right trackpad that I think is a straight line gets interpreted as semi-circular sweep. It is physiologically very hard to move your thumb in a genuine straight line on the trackpad and the sensitivity of the trackpad picks this up. This isn't a great problem for me batting (as I am tapping the edge of the trackpad rather than sweeping across it) but is an issue for bowling where it is difficult to bowl line...paticularly for inswing and outswing. It would possibly be easier if Adaptive Centering worked but it looks like that feature has been deprecated for some reason.

I've been away from my PC this week so haven't had a chance to experiment. I am going to look at modifying horizontal sensitivity for bowling and extending the deadzones a bit to see if I can get more consistent control. I really think this controller could be the ideal companion for DBC17 (particularly with the use of Action Sets) but I think it does need a specific config rather than trying to use the default template. It is usable with the default...but more challenging than a xbox controller.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
I have noticed using this is that thumb motion on the right trackpad that I think is a straight line gets interpreted as semi-circular sweep. It is physiologically very hard to move your thumb in a genuine straight line on the trackpad and the sensitivity of the trackpad picks this up.

I think that's been addressed already in this thread. For this game you don't use the trackpad like a traditional control stick. Instead you touch where you want to hit the ball. So for a right handed batsman wanting to do a cover drive, imagine the trackpad is the field, and touch the trackpad "boundary" like it's the real boundary.

I cant test this though. I've been trying to get my hands on a Steam Controller for ages but it's been so short of stock that it's selling for £70. fearsome tweak that.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I think that's been addressed already in this thread. For this game you don't use the trackpad like a traditional control stick. Instead you touch where you want to hit the ball. So for a right handed batsman wanting to do a cover drive, imagine the trackpad is the field, and touch the trackpad "boundary" like it's the real boundary.
Errr...yes...I think that was me who suggested that. As I say, I think batting works well...really well. It's more challenging getting the pace bowling working. I mean, it does work, but I want to come up with way that allows me to focus on the screen rather than look where my thumb is on the controller. Part of the solution to this is, of course, practice and building up familiarity with using the controller but I think that, given the huge degree of configurablity of the controller, there must be the possibility of a few tweaks to improve the experience.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Errr...yes...I think that was me who suggested that. As I say, I think batting works well...really well. It's more challenging getting the pace bowling working. I mean, it does work, but I want to come up with way that allows me to focus on the screen rather than look where my thumb is on the controller. Part of the solution to this is, of course, practice and building up familiarity with using the controller but I think that, given the huge degree of configurablity of the controller, there must be the possibility of a few tweaks to improve the experience.

Sorry, I was tired and could not be arsed to search. My fault. I've have about 3 beers since so should be sharper.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Well I just snagged a Steam controller from my local store at normal retail price. Gawd knows how, they've been out of stock for months and everywhere else has been selling them for £70, which is over twice the price.

Anyway. Seems to work fine for the most part, particularly batting. Bowling on the other hand will take some practice. I seem to find myself bowling down leg side more than anything. I think the one thing Valve messed up on with the controller is neglecting to have any kind of tactile centering marks on the right touch pad.

EDIT:

After a few more minutes of practice, it seems that for pace bowling, it performs better if you stroke the touch pad rather than draw your thumb back and then forward. So what I do is stroke my thumb back, lift off when the bowler is in his jump phase, then center my thumb and stroke forward. Seems to be much more consistent.

Last edited:

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Well I just snagged a Steam controller from my local store at normal retail price. Gawd knows how, they've been out of stock for months and everywhere else has been selling them for £70, which is over twice the price.

Anyway. Seems to work fine for the most part, particularly batting. Bowling on the other hand will take some practice. I seem to find myself bowling down leg side more than anything. I think the one thing Valve messed up on with the controller is neglecting to have any kind of tactile centering marks on the right touch pad.

EDIT:

After a few more minutes of practice, it seems that for pace bowling, it performs better if you stroke the touch pad rather than draw your thumb back and then forward. So what I do is stroke my thumb back, lift off when the bowler is in his jump phase, then center my thumb and stroke forward. Seems to be much more consistent.
Have you changed the base configuration at all? I agree it can be a bit tricky to bowl line without having to look at the controller to see where you're placing your thumb. Valve did have a feature called adaptive centering that would compensate for this as the centre becomes wherever you first make contact with the trackpad. It was under the Advanced Settings section but doesn't seem to be there now (you can see it but I can't work out how you select it now). It's a pity because I think that adaptive centering would be really useful for bowling in DBC17.

I have found that reducing the horizontal sensitivity on the right trackpad, when bowling, has helped with control, as has increasing the size of the deadzone.

Users who are viewing this thread