360 Shot control

Al Pacino

School Cricketer
does this game really supports 360 Shot control as i have been playing this game for a month but its nothing looks like shot going in all directions . especially there are only two shots for off side 1)cover drive-which always goes to extra cover never in square and 2)square cut - which is only possible to play on short balls , no square drive and no other way to score runs in off side. now in leg side leg glance is good but no shot to play in midwicket region ,the only way ball goes there is when you play shot in leg side and ball automatically goes there

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This hit me deaper then the hole England just crawled out of...

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Of course it does, just look at some of the many wagon wheels people have posted.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
does this game really supports 360 Shot control as i have been playing this game for a month but its nothing looks like shot going in all directions . especially there are only two shots for off side 1)cover drive-which always goes to extra cover never in square and 2)square cut - which is only possible to play on short balls , no square drive and no other way to score runs in off side. now in leg side leg glance is good but no shot to play in midwicket region ,the only way ball goes there is when you play shot in leg side and ball automatically goes there

I see where you're coming from. I would be lying if I say I haven't experienced that.

I'm not really a batter but I think timing is as much a part as the direction you chose to play the shot in. But that's only on OFF side. On the LEG side, I'm yet to find a sure shot of hitting the ball towards mid wicket. Sometimes a early timed shot goes in that direction but never by desire.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I do think there are a greater number of field areas attackable than the first post says, although I have to agree about the mid wicket areas either side of the wicket. There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to attack those areas and because of that fielders are not often put there in the multiplayer games I have with friends.

Could do with some big improvements in Patch 3 or at least any sequel Big Ant makes.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Yes , the direction is heavily influenced by the timing factor , but as the above posters have stated , the midwicket leg side flick allmost allways end up there if you totally hit the ball too early only . Very seldom do you get a boundary out of it . Slight adjustment needed to fix this I would say.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Yes , the direction is heavily influenced by the timing factor , but as the above posters have stated , the midwicket leg side flick allmost allways end up there if you totally hit the ball too early only . Very seldom do you get a boundary out of it . Slight adjustment needed to fix this I would say.
Actually I hit more boundaries in that region, I feel foot movement is very important in playing to that region...You can try Aggressive ground shot trigger to play there easily, slogging to that zone is very easy...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It's not complete 360 degree shot selection a la AC09 or IC 2010. DBC 14 is a better version of EA Cricket 07 in 360 degree shot selection perspective in that a shot mostly goes to a specific area in the field. Hopefully the next iteration will add genuine 360 degree shot selection to the game.

grkrama

National Board President
EA had true 360 shot selection atleast the modded ones, DBC has great variation for 360 i have had shots go in all places of the ground, except you cant control it pinpoint like in Codies games with a wedge dissecting fielders.

Couple of areas dbc lacks would be midwicket glances, and front foot square drives. theses ares dont have much choice of shots and is limited.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
except you cant control it pinpoint like in Codies games with a wedge dissecting fielders.

Technically you couldn't pinpoint it - only with proper timing did the ball actually go where you wanted it to. Very rarely did it go *exactly* there: that was just an indicator of where you were aiming for.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I dont think we can compare DBC with previous games as its totally different in gameplay , the no.of factors required for each shot makes it different...And yes there are a few shots missing in the game but can you hit the ball 360 degrees ,YES.....Regardless of the factors involved say a mistimed shot goes to mid wicket region or some other part of the ground, the end result is it goes in the area..So if you talk about placement then yes some cannot be placed to the area you like....

The game surely needs a fresh set of animations for shots, fielding , catching etc...The bowler receiving the ball near the stumps but his hand going at a great speed like in the movie "The Mask" and he goes along with the speed is ridiculous, the motions of WK as well needs to be realistic....Backfoot shots should be more of a punch when placed on the offside and not a full swing animation,it makes the shot look a bit fake....

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I've been playing against friends for quite a while and have just now been playing some single player. For some reason it seems far easier to hit shots to those mid-wicket areas in single player. I have no idea why. :noway

Gentoras

International Cricketer
Mid wicket (deep) region or Cow corner,,,it is proven to be hard to hit an intended shot in that area, hence even in real life cricket you don't find that area guarded that much, a slog see a ball going there, hardly intentionally.

The name cow corner came about, that the area is often left vacant that cows can graze there, when I play against AI, I don't worry much about placing a fielder down there, unlike a friend on offline mode, because they do slog and occationally makes that baundary, so cow corner is generally a difficult place to hit the ball there. If citation is needed, check the cricket glossary.

360 batting, not all batsmen play same shot even though you try to replicate the same shot, when I bat with AB de Villiers, he tends to play that ball that goes under the wicketkeeper's underarm, that sees the ball go to that straight, long stop/leg region, not my intention of course.

marcopolio1001

School Cricketer
Gentoras, that is no way correct about midwicket. It isn't often guarded because that is generally a spot a bad ball is put away. Anything full-ish and on the stumps is an invitation to punch through this area. Alternatively, if your bowling for LBW vs a guy who has a tendency to fall over to the offside around a planted front foot, you will generally have midwicket, square leg and mid-on if, as you are going to offer scoring opportunities in this area.

See Kallis talking about it: Jacques Kallis gives Sky Cricket batting masterclass in The Zone on The Verdict | News

Kallis on hitting leg-side
"I knew I had to be very well-balanced not to miss and get out lbw or bowled. I had to get my head and eyes parallel to the stumps, be nice and still, and really concentrate so that when the ball was straight, I was over my front foot to allow me to hit it. If you start looking to hit it through square-leg or mid-wicket too early, you’re going to get into trouble, come across the ball and try to hit it with half a bat. The odds aren’t in your favour. First you’ve got to look to hit it as straight as possible and then if the ball does carry on drifting in, hit it through mid-wicket. You need to make sure you’re well-balanced for that."

Last edited:

Gentoras

International Cricketer
Gentoras, that is no way correct about midwicket. It isn't often guarded because that is generally a spot a bad ball is put away. Anything full-ish and on the stumps is an invitation to punch through this area. Alternatively, if your bowling for LBW vs a guy who has a tendency to fall over to the offside around a planted front foot, you will generally have midwicket, square leg and mid-on if, as you are going to offer scoring opportunities in this area.

See Kallis talking about it: Jacques Kallis gives Sky Cricket batting masterclass in The Zone on The Verdict | News

Kallis on hitting leg-side
"I knew I had to be very well-balanced not to miss and get out lbw or bowled. I had to get my head and eyes parallel to the stumps, be nice and still, and really concentrate so that when the ball was straight, I was over my front foot to allow me to hit it. If you start looking to hit it through square-leg or mid-wicket too early, you’re going to get into trouble, come across the ball and try to hit it with half a bat. The odds aren’t in your favour. First you’ve got to look to hit it as straight as possible and then if the ball does carry on drifting in, hit it through mid-wicket. You need to make sure you’re well-balanced for that."

I respect your views on this, I will not take anything away from it,,,,remember I said it is generally difficult to play a shot there, and it needs balance and all that King Kallis has said there, not that it is not playable, and Kallis is not any batsman to play that shot.

Users who are viewing this thread