Batting Tutorial Vids

grkrama

National Board President
I guess a few of you guys have struggled a bit after patch 3, and are still coming to grips with the batting.

Now while most of the batting is self explanatory. for those who have trouble glancing from out side off or on drive onloft thought will put the vids here to help.

Im yet to master batting but what i share works for me and is repeatable.

1.The few important things with all shots is footwork is of prime importance. in the sense of getting in line with the ball. LS varies by clock from my experience.

proxy.php

2. RS is sensitive the first direction you choose will be the one the control takes as input not were you end up with RS.

3.Practice a lot in the nets set the marker on the pitch for the delivery that troubles you work it, and then go into the game and smash it. the reward you will feel will be brilliant.

Front foot Leg Glance and fine glance:

Fine Glance is Best played when the delivery is angling in to the pads. ideal would be when on legstump but can also be played from middle if timing is right.
The key part for fine glance is having RS between 8-6.30 o clock.

Leg glance the one that goes squarer with a variation from midwicket to square leg is relatively safer to play even on off stump or wide of it as long as you have proper footwork to get in line with it like LS 1-2 oclock in LS. RS between 8-10.

In the below vid you can see how i start missing delivery and once i adjust foot work connect well.

Front foot On drive and on loft:

Best played when delivery is on the stumps or down the leg, but can be used effectively even from out side of when you need to exploit the field.

Again getting in line with it is the key for footwork LS push it to 1-2-3 O clock depending on the line.

The key with this especially when going for lofted ones is RS direction its easy to push it at 10 oclock or below and it will trigger the pull.
RS shouldn't below 10 i guess once you are trying to on slog from offside, along with appropriate footwork, you can see in the vid were there is a part when changing footwork from 2-3 actually gets you to connect.
Also RS is sensitive a lot your first movement direction is selected as input so you may think that its at 11'o clock but actually may have started squarer. this is not to say you are pressing wrong direction but i have had it happen to me so just a bit of thing to look at. if things arent connecting properly.

Front Foot cover Drive:

Best Played for everything from offstump in full and good length region. The key to vary cover drive from midoff to point is to use the RS effectively, while footwork matters in how much power you can impart and play safe RS is the key to vary the shot.

if the ball is on the off stump or middle LS @ 12-11 works good.
If the ball is way out side off like 6th stump, LS @ 2'o clock works good.
If the ball is in the corridor of uncertainty thats 4-6 stump ideally 1'o clock should be good, but the prob is when the ball is in-swinging you will inside edge as you foot work takes you close, so while 1'o clock provides more power it also is risky, hence having the footwork @ 12 seems the best option for this unlike other shots.

Also for very wide full balls LS @ 2-3 and RS @ 3 playing front foot square drive works best than cover drive.

In the below vid you can find varying cover drive from midoff to cover point region. To three different balls first one wide, 2nd one close on offstump , 3rd one in corridor. In all 3 watch how the shot varies with RS direction.

sorry for the encode, audio is out of sync and the controller ui is not chroma keyed properly but its the one with intricate RS direction hence used it.

will try to keep it updated with more shots as i can.

Hook Shots :

The Key to Playing Hook Shot is RS at 6'o Clock its sensitive, and you may end up with going to Back foot glance or late cut if you go either side, But once you practice a bit pulling the RS straight down, its easy to get a hang of and is very useful against Short Stuff and to dissect the field when Deep square leg is there and you cant go for pulls.

Also LS foot work matters a bit but not too much, while you can connect most which are in line with body with LS at 6, at times you may edge if the ball is going wide down the leg side, to avoid that you need to get LS to 7-8 o clock [RHB] for those deliveries. Hooking from out side Off is tough but possible if you move a bit and then hook from there with LS at say 5-4 for [RHB] and 7-8 for [LHB] and hook. Its useful in T20 were you need to score but field is spread and the bowler is banging short stuff and making you to attempt cuts.

sorry for the encode, the controller ui is not chroma keyed properly but its the one with intricate RS direction hence used it. Also LT RT are not present in the controller UI. Also The ball machine isn't great at bowling bouncer hence had to set pitch marker way back but in game bowlers bowl it quite easily from much shorter length especially in hard pitches.

music courtesy :@Dutch Dutch's Music for DBC Requests Thread Thingy.... - Don Bradman Cricket 17 Forum on PlanetCricket Forums

Sweep and Reverse Sweep :

Sweeps the key is to identify the two types one squarer and the other fine. Squarer one with RS above 8]o clock works well for good lenth and full ones, you can use the squarer version even outside of stump with proper footwork to correspond to the line.
the finer sweep with RS @ 7 o clock plays well for fuller deliveries on middle or leg stump.
The slog versions also work similarly and are effective against spin and medium bowlers.

Reverse Sweep has two shots one normal reverse sweep, the other a bit like a switch reverse like maxwell kp play.
To play normal reverse RS above 4'o clock. Its effective against spin and medium.
To play the switch reverse RS @ 5'o lock for RHB. This effective with spin and pace even faster bowlers.

music courtesy :@Dutch Dutch's Music for DBC Requests Thread Thingy.... - Don Bradman Cricket 17 Forum on PlanetCricket Forums

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other thing i would like people having trouble with batting on the whole to try is lower the difficulty a bit, or play around with custom slider. set everything apart from ball marker time to 45 and shot force to 60-65.

20170129090423_1.jpg

20170129090439_1.jpg

IF you do this you will get to enjoy the game, one of the key things right now if your are struggling with batting is to try this, not because that im playing better or you are worse, but because right now you have to experience how good batting can be. so once you get that feel and enjoy batting you will see the possibilities and start to invest time in the game and it will be easier to up the difficulty from there. Otherwise you are going to getting out trying things and coming here to PC and say batting is screwed etc. Im not saying its absolutely perfect, there are still things that can be tweaked a bit here and there like get rid of that pull animation for glance, drive alltogether, a better feedback system would be dope, but once you bat enough and get the time in you will be able to specifically point the probs and the game will improve more.

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Great post and thread @grkrama and deserves to be stickied. One request for you... is it possible for you to create one tutorial video with the control input showing (the same way you did in glance control video) various cover drives, i.e. i) cover drive through extra cover region, ii) cover drive through traditional cover area, and iii) cover drive through cover point & point area.

B

Bigby Wolf

I guess a few of you guys have struggled a bit after patch 3, and are still coming to grips with the batting.

Now while most of the batting is self explanatory. for those who have trouble glancing from out side off or on drive onloft thought will put the vids here to help.

Im yet to master batting but what i share works for me and is repeatable.

1.The few important things with all shots is footwork is of prime importance. in the sense of getting in line with the ball. LS varies by clock from my experience.

proxy.php

2. RS is sensitive the first direction you choose will be the one the control takes as input not were you end up with RS.

3.Practice a lot in the nets set the marker on the pitch for the delivery that troubles you work it, and then go into the game and smash it. the reward you will feel will be brilliant.

Front foot Leg Glance and fine glance:

Fine Glance is Best played when the delivery is angling in to the pads. ideal would be when on legstump but can also be played from middle if timing is right.
The key part for fine glance is having RS between 8-6.30 o clock.

Leg glance the one that goes squarer with a variation from midwicket to square leg is relatively safer to play even on off stump or wide of it as long as you have proper footwork to get in line with it like LS 1-2 oclock in LS. RS between 8-10.

In the below vid you can see how i start missing delivery and once i adjust foot work connect well.

Front foot On drive and on loft:

Best played when delivery is on the stumps or down the leg, but can be used effectively even from out side of when you need to exploit the field.

Again getting in line with it is the key for footwork LS push it to 1-2-3 O clock depending on the line.

The key with this especially when going for lofted ones is RS direction its easy to push it at 10 oclock or below and it will trigger the pull.
RS shouldn't below 10 i guess once you are trying to on slog from offside, along with appropriate footwork, you can see in the vid were there is a part when changing footwork from 2-3 actually gets you to connect.
Also RS is sensitive a lot your first movement direction is selected as input so you may think that its at 11'o clock but actually may have started squarer. this is not to say you are pressing wrong direction but i have had it happen to me so just a bit of thing to look at. if things arent connecting properly.

will try to keep it updated with more shots as i can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other thing i would like people having trouble with batting on the whole to try is lower the difficulty a bit, or play around with custom slider. set everything apart from ball marker time to 45 and shot force to 60-65.

View attachment 181155

View attachment 181156

IF you do this you will get to enjoy the game, one of the key things right now if your are struggling with batting is to try this, not because that im playing better or you are worse, but because right now you have to experience how good batting can be. so once you get that feel and enjoy batting you will see the possibilities and start to invest time in the game and it will be easier to up the difficulty from there. Otherwise you are going to getting out trying things and coming here to PC and say batting is screwed etc. Im not saying its absolutely perfect, there are still things that can be tweaked a bit here and there like get rid of that pull animation for glance, drive alltogether, a better feedback system would be dope, but once you bat enough and get the time in you will be able to specifically point the probs and the game will improve more.

Can you make a Video of the new shot animations?.i.e.LS at 6 O clock and RS (depending on the length either 12 or 6).
I actually found three.
- Against Fast bowler when the bowl is short (LS at 6 and RS at 6) the hook shot looks really good when pulled off.
-Against medium pacers or spinners (unsure about the length) the reverse scoop in the third man region (LS 12 or 6 RS at 6)
-The flick shot over the long leg region (Again RS at 6 and LS at 6).

I am actually uncertain how these shots are pulled off.
It depends on lenghth and pace of delivery and i guess player attritbutes.

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Thank you very much. Very informative. I suck at batting as I'm not consistent with my stick control. :lol

Razpor

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
very nice and informative thread.[DOUBLEPOST=1485669282][/DOUBLEPOST]very nice and informative thread.

Daksh7

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Btw has anyone managed to hit the helicopter shot for six?
And are there lofted sweeps\reverse sweep?
And has anyone managed to put a scoop shot for six?

I mean do we hve to hold the aggressive shot button while hitting this shots to make them lofted?
Or they just depend on are timing to be lofted?

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
This doesnt apply to online mode though, because we cant reduce difficulty with sliders for one, and there are slight differences in shots as well, example the late cut was always possible online but not career.

Razpor

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India

I mean do we hve to hold the aggressive shot button while hitting this shots to make them lofted?
i have managed to hit a 4 with helicopter shot once ,held the lb button and left trigger on my xbox controller and ball was in the area towards leg fortunately ,didn't go for a six though
this was on pc btw

grkrama

National Board President
One request for you... is it possible for you to create one tutorial video with the control input showing (the same way you did in glance control video) various cover drives, i.e. i) cover drive through extra cover region, ii) cover drive through traditional cover area, and iii) cover drive through cover point & point area.

will try to do in a couple days.

Can you make a Video of the new shot animations?.i.e.LS at 6 O clock and RS (depending on the length either 12 or 6).
I actually found three.
- Against Fast bowler when the bowl is short (LS at 6 and RS at 6) the hook shot looks really good when pulled off.
-Against medium pacers or spinners (unsure about the length) the reverse scoop in the third man region (LS 12 or 6 RS at 6)
-The flick shot over the long leg region (Again RS at 6 and LS at 6).

I am actually uncertain how these shots are pulled off.
It depends on lenghth and pace of delivery and i guess player attritbutes.

Hook shot you can get it easily if you are in the line of the ball even if not exactly as long as the delivery isnt angling away from you can pull it of all short balls apart from really low bounce ones. just make sure RS is at 6'o clock.

you can see in this vid how easily you can hook regularly. was made to highlight the difference in batman running when NS isnt calling. also audio of sync due to bad encode will do a proper tut later.

regarding reverse scoop do you mean this shot, im still figuring it out.

yup you have to hold loft button to power all, scoop i think i have got a 6. Helicopter is just there doesnt have power much at max may go for 4, have to look into it. Lofted sweep and reverse play well though getting a six is tough but work well against infield.[DOUBLEPOST=1485672929][/DOUBLEPOST]
he late cut was always possible online but not career.

late cut i still would say prob is with keeper and not the shot itself.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
will try to do in a couple days.

regarding reverse scoop do you mean this shot, im still figuring it out.

That shot is very annoying . This is how it comes about :

When seeing a red ball and going on the Backfoot for the 3rd man guide (L2 Depressed for Lofted Shot or L2+R2 for Aggresive Ground Shot) :

1. If the ball is short enough (like in almost the shortest it can get , and I think the Standard Short Ball as well ) , it will play a "Normal" 3rd man guide
  2. If the ball is bowled short , but with the fuller L1 Modifier - This shot will play out
When a Green Ball is bowled and you have the Shot Modifier Buttons depressed as mentioned above , it will ALLWAYS try and play this shot.

On the Front foot + 3rd Man guide + Shot Modifiers , this shot dissapears again .

Basically impossible to judge the actual lenght of a short ball (I mean , your not going to wait for the fast Bowlers short ball to first pitch , before making the call whether back foot or front foot) so the end result is this shot is going to keep popping up whenever you dont want it , and wanted a lofted 3rd man shot if the ball is anything fuller than halfway down the pitch.

kishore_513

School Cricketer
Great tutorials mate @grkrama . One thing I ve noted with my failure to connect the glances is my inability to constantly move the LS precisely to where I wanted. Everytime I missed the glance, look down to see my LS position, its atcually at 11:30 to 12 but what i thought was at 12:30 or 1:00. So I needed to plant my thumb over the LS rather than pushing it from bottom to be precise. Might be the case with some of you too..

grkrama

National Board President
Front Foot cover Drive:

Best Played for everything from offstump in full and good length region. The key to vary cover drive from midoff to point is to use the RS effectively, while footwork matters in how much power you can impart and play safe RS is the key to vary the shot.

if the ball is on the off stump or middle LS @ 12-11 works good.
If the ball is way out side off like 6th stump, LS @ 2'o clock works good.
If the ball is in the corridor of uncertainty thats 4-6 stump ideally 1'o clock should be good, but the prob is when the ball is in-swinging you will inside edge as you foot work takes you close, so while 1'o clock provides more power it also is risky, hence having the footwork @ 12 seems the best option for this unlike other shots.

Also for very wide full balls LS @ 2-3 and RS @ 3 playing front foot square drive works best than cover drive.

In the below vid you can find varying cover drive from midoff to cover point region. To three different balls first one wide, 2nd one close on offstump , 3rd one in corridor. In all 3 watch how the shot varies with RS direction.

sorry for the encode, audio is out of sync and the controller ui is not chroma keyed properly but its the one with intricate RS direction hence used it.

D

Dutch

Great Vids G and a real help for those of us who struggle at batting: following your steps I can play much more around the park and feel confident.....

Users who are viewing this thread