Bowling Guide!

angad

Chairman of Consent
Online Cricket Games Owned
Here is a small bowling guide that I had posted on IVG, so thought would copy it here incase someone finds it helpful :p! I would not be posting the exact controls as they are already available in the guidebook. The points I mention are based on my experience with the game and so incase you find any errors, please feel free to mention them. The main aim here is to help someone who might be struggling with bowling in the game (though I dont think there are many :p)!!

I) Pace Bowling:

1) Before you start the Runup, you need to choose

• The 'angle' from which the ball will be bowled (Left Analog Stick at 11 'O Clock means you deliver the ball from wide of the stumps, LAS at 12 'O Clock means straight, 1 'O Clock means close to the stumps when bowling over the wicket as a right hander)
  • The target length area (I say target as where the delivery will finally land in that area would depend on when you move the Right Analog Stick (RAS) up. This is selected using the face buttons and the selection can be changed 'during' the runup as well incase you change your mind.
  • Whether you want to bowl a quicker delivery (press Right Bumper or R1 for this), a normal delivery (dont press either bumper), a slower delivery (press Left Bumper or L1 for this). You can change your mind with this 'during' the runup as well.
  • Optionally you may choose to shine the ball which effects swing

2) During the Runup but before the jump, you need to choose:

• The type of delivery. This is chosen using the LAS.
  • The target length area (incase you change your mind)
  • Quick, normal, slower delivery (again incase you change your mind)
  • Pull out of the delivery (dont remember what is required for this)

3) The Jump and Release:

• To initiate the jump when you are approaching the bowling box, move the RAS back. Do it too early and your bowler will land 'before' the bowling crease which might result in a drop in your pace and possibly straying from the length you have chosen along with reduced swing (not sure about the result. Im assuming this is how it works) while if you do it late, the bowler will bowl a no-ball. The important thing to note here is when you move the RAS back, do not flick it and instead 'hold' it in place before you decide when to move it forward.
  • To release the delivery, move the RAS forward, the 'timing' of which will determine the eventual spot at which the ball will land in the length area you had chosen earlier (releasing early will make the ball land fuller, a late release will make the ball land shorter) and the 'direction' of which will determine the 'line' of the delivery (as mentioned by SAM earlier, the line of the delivery is also influenced by the angle of delivery that you had chosen earlier).
  • The speed with which you move the RAS will also have an impact on the speed of the delivery

4) Other points:

• If you try to bowl quick all the time, your bowler will lose stamina and would eventually start bowling slower
  • Be intelligent with the direction in which you move the RAS up to determine the line. For e.g. if you want to bowl an out swinger in conditions where the ball is swinging a lot, its a good idea to aim at the leg stump or outside so that with the swing the ball would eventually land on off or outside off stump.
  • Always always always bowl to a plan and to your field (with occasional surprises).
  • Be patient. You wont get a wicket on every delivery. Create enough pressure and the AI will certainly do something which it shouldnt
  • Concentrate on the release of the delivery. The ideal time to release the delivery is when the bowling arm is at its highest point (see the pic in the guide. Thats where you should aim to release the delivery).
  • Its always better to fall short of the crease than to go over it and bowl a no-ball.
  • Always better to have all kinds of bowlers in your team. As you cannot pick the team 'after' seeing the conditions, its better to have a mixed set of bowlers.

II) Spin Bowling:

1) Before you start the Runup, you need to choose

• The type of delivery you want to bowl. This is done by moving the Left Analog Sitck (LAS) in the direction of the delivery you want to bowl. This did take some time for me to learn, however once I understood the controls they are actually pretty logical. You can only choose this once and cannot change your mind once you start the runup.
  • The target length area (I say target as where the delivery will finally land in that area would depend on when you move the Right Analog Stick (RAS) up. This is selected using the face buttons and the selection can be changed 'during' the runup as well incase you change your mind.
  • Optionally you may choose to shine the ball which would help the pacers in your team

2) During the Runup but before the jump, you need to choose:

• Rotate the LAS thrice in the direction of your 'main stock' delivery. So if you are a leg spinnner you always move it anti-clock wise (for right handed bowler) and if you are a off-spinner you move it clock-wise. I think you always need to move it in the mentioned direction irrespective of the delivery you are going to bowl. For e.g. when bowling a googly as a leg spinner, I tried rotating it clock-wise but it didnt register the input and I had to rotate it anti-clockwise for the input to register.
  • To achieve the perfect timing for completing the LAS rotation, ideally the third 'complete' rotation should end at the same time as you push RAS forward (RAS control is mentioned in point '3'). Also the speed with which you move the LAS also has (I think....not sure) an impact on the rotations per minute (rpm) that you would achieve.
  • The target length area (incase you change your mind)
  • Pull out of the delivery (dont remember what is required for this and not sure if its there for spinners as well)

3) The Jump and Release:

• You do not need to pull RAS back when bowling as a spinner. So, you 'cannot' bowl a no-ball when bowling as a spinner (which is a real oversight)
  • To release the delivery, move the RAS forward, the 'timing' of which will determine the eventual spot at which the ball will land in the length area you had chosen earlier (releasing early will make the ball land fuller, a late release will make the ball land shorter) and the 'direction' of which will determine the 'line' of the delivery.
  • I dont think the speed with which you move the RAS will have an impact on the speed of the delivery (though someone can try this and confirm it)

4) Other points:

• Be intelligent with the direction in which you move the RAS up to determine the line. For e.g. if you want to bowl a leg spin delivery with drift, then its a good idea to aim the delivery well outside off stump so that with the drift the ball will land in the line of the stumps or just outside.
  • Always always always bowl to a plan and to your field (with occasional surprises).
  • Be patient. You wont get a wicket on every delivery. Create enough pressure and the AI will certainly do something which it shouldnt
  • Concentrate on the timing of completing the rotations with LAS + the release of the delivery. The ideal time to release the delivery is when the bowling arm is at its highest point (see the pic in the guide. Thats where you should aim to release the delivery).
  • Always better to have all kinds of bowlers in your team. As you cannot pick the team 'after' seeing the conditions, its better to have a mixed set of bowlers.

Last edited:

ashidashraf

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@angad
LAS in pace bowling determines delivery type right ?
If you want to bowl outside off, we have to push the RAS towards 11 clock direction during release.
Am I wrong ? @HBK619

Last edited:

batonage

School Cricketer
Thanks for this...I've struggled with my line, even after understanding that LAS dictates delivery type. Still working on my rotation timing, but getting better and loving the challenge.

lilas11

Club Cricketer
I am struggling with line too.. I bowl within the markers but the bowl always seems to be heading towards 5th or 6th leg stump which is an easy flick for the batsman.. what do you recommend for pitching the ball just outside off.. thanks

angad

Chairman of Consent
@angad
LAS in pace bowling determines delivery type right ?
If you want to bowl outside off, we have to push the RAS towards 11 clock direction during release.
Am I wrong ? @HBK619

For pace bowling, LAS movement 'before' you start the runup determines the angle of the delivery. LAS movement 'during' the runup determines the delivery type!

As for the RAS movement..... Yes...11 oclock would bowl outside off provided you are bowling a straight delivery (i.e. no swing is involved) and using a straight delivery angle.

what do you recommend for pitching the ball just outside off.. thanks

Practice :p!!

Seriously though, I have seen different people have different patterns when moving the RAS. Some naturally move it slightly to the left (even though in their mind they think they are pushing it straight) while others move it slightly to the right. With everything else constant, once you have pushed the RAS....keep it there so that after the delivery is bowled you can see in which direction the RAS is facing and if its exactly where you intended it to be. That would be a nice feedback for you to work on :)!

Last edited:

Gentoras

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
@angad, Can I get clarity on the following:

How do I rotate for:

1. Finger Spin :___________
2. Wrist Spin :___________

I ask this because I can't the difference when I bowl spin, the ball just goes straight, except for when I push in different directions

Thanks

angad

Chairman of Consent
@angad, Can I get clarity on the following:

How do I rotate for:

1. Finger Spin :___________
2. Wrist Spin :___________

I ask this because I can't the difference when I bowl spin, the ball just goes straight, except for when I push in different directions

Thanks

Rotation for a right handed wrist spinner (leg spinner) is anti-clockwise and vice-versa for finger spinner.

Keep the bowling hud/assist on. It will give you feedback on rotation. If you are rotating in the wrong direction, the needle on the bowling hud for spin would not move at all.

Last edited:

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Rotation for a right handed finger spinner (leg spinner) is anti-clockwise and vice-versa for finger spinner.

Keep the bowling hud/assist on. It will give you feedback on rotation. If you are rotating in the wrong direction, the needle on the bowling hud for spin would not move at all.

Think you've got that the wrong way around, leg spinning is typically from wrist spinners.

angad

Chairman of Consent
Think you've got that the wrong way around, leg spinning is typically from wrist spinners.

Lol...yeh...I meant wrist spinner first (wrote finger spinner twice instead :p). Corrected it now...thanks :)!

Gentoras

County Cricketer
Ok, so wrist spinner is "leg spinner" and finger spinner is "off-spinner"

The rotation(3 times),,,should end where it started, followed by RAS up?

Well, I had switched off the HUD for bowling, I'll try it this afternoon

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Many thanks for this guide Angad . No I will stop just focusing on the batting only and not simulate the fielding and bowling .

Think I should then actually start winning games against the AI.

Killer Nads

Club Cricketer
Lol i didnt even know you can turn off the dials when bowling! Wont that be impossible to guess when to start your jump input and when to throw the ball?

One other thing, for fast/slow balls, do you just press the button or have to hold it down for the full delivery?

One thing i also found out, is that on fast bowlers if you flick it down for jump input, let go and then flick up when its time to throw the ball. Its a lot easier to aim the direction of the ball and didn't seem to make any difference to me on speed or anything else. When i held the RAS down and then Pushed it up, i always got the direction wrong and would easily go for too many wides!

imhassan

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
@angad Are you sure about the below because I haven't noted any difference based on the speed of the movement of the analog stick..

The speed with which you move the RAS will also have an impact on the speed of the delivery

angad

Chairman of Consent
The rotation(3 times),,,should end where it started, followed by RAS up?

Ideally the ending of the 3rd LAS rotation and movement of RAS 'up' should happen at the same time (if that makes sense).

Wont that be impossible to guess when to start your jump input and when to throw the ball?

You need to practice bowling without looking at the dial. What I did was, since the very first day I never looked at the dial while bowling but still had them switched on so that I can see how well/bad I did as soon as the delivery left my hand. I used the dials more as a feedback than as an assist. And after my first match itself I have not bowled a single no-ball (though I end up landing early more often than not).

One other thing, for fast/slow balls, do you just press the button or have to hold it down for the full delivery?

You just have to press it once. Infact after you have pressed it, if you want to cancel that input....you need to press L1+R1 together.

One thing i also found out, is that on fast bowlers if you flick it down for jump input, let go and then flick up when its time to throw the ball. Its a lot easier to aim the direction of the ball and didn't seem to make any difference to me on speed or anything else. When i held the RAS down and then Pushed it up, i always got the direction wrong and would easily go for too many wides!

Will try this out to see if it makes any difference!

----------

@angad Are you sure about the below because I haven't noted any difference based on the speed of the movement of the analog stick..

The speed with which you move the RAS will also have an impact on the speed of the delivery

I was not totally sure about it but a friend of mine (silentassassin from IVG) confirmed that the speed of RAS movement did impact the speed of the delivery for him as well. However, it would be nice if others can try it out and confirm if its true or not. With so many variables involved, its really tough to pin-point the exact input that resulted in a pacy delivery :)!

I will try to keep everything else constant and just play with the speed of RAS to see if it impacts the speed of the delivery when I play tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread