Bowling Question

Tunza

School Cricketer
Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread - happy to move elsewhere if there is a more suitable location.

Experience: I have been experiencing a recurring annoyance in my career mode when bowling. I will regularly start an over in both T20 Club and First Class Domestic with 4 or 5 dot balls. On the last ball of almost every over, the batsman will hit the ball to the boundary or very close to it. It doesn't seem to matter what I bowl, where I bowl or the bowling leading up to the final delivery of the over. It also doesn't seem to matter what the bowling and batting confidence or stamina levels are, nor the quality of the batsman. I estimate that this occurs in roughly 80% of all overs, so not an outlier.

Questions:
  1. Is anyone else noticing similar behaviour?
  2. Does anyone else have a strategy for limiting this?
  3. I bowl as a medium pacer - does this happen to anyone as a fast bowler or spinner?
Thanks
Tunza

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Getting hit on the last ball was there in DBC 14, dont have DBC 17 yet to comment on that but as you said 5 balls dot last ball hit happens on a regular basis..The way to counter that is to bowl a different angle and set the field particularly for the type of delivery you are going to bowl..Few times that slog makes it a wicket chance..Again the suggestion is based on DBC 14 not 17...

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread - happy to move elsewhere if there is a more suitable location.

Experience: I have been experiencing a recurring annoyance in my career mode when bowling. I will regularly start an over in both T20 Club and First Class Domestic with 4 or 5 dot balls. On the last ball of almost every over, the batsman will hit the ball to the boundary or very close to it. It doesn't seem to matter what I bowl, where I bowl or the bowling leading up to the final delivery of the over. It also doesn't seem to matter what the bowling and batting confidence or stamina levels are, nor the quality of the batsman. I estimate that this occurs in roughly 80% of all overs, so not an outlier.

Questions:
  3. I bowl as a medium pacer - does this happen to anyone as a fast bowler or spinner?
Thanks
Tunza
yes also getting it, but i know about it now so I move the max amount of fielders to the boundary just before the last ball, this has worked (of course you have to know where their prime spots of hitting are), I have even gotten a few wickets like this as they do the aggressive shot regardless of my field placing.

Zaneo

Club Captain

Questions:
Thanks
Tunza
Yes ive noticed it as a spinner it can be annoying but I see it as a challenge, ive tied them down so they get impatient, field placement plays a huge roll definitely wicket taking opportunity risk vs reward my only problem with it is no one is lashing out after 5 dot balls every time mayby 20/20 but not in everything else. The other way i go about is balls 4 and 5 a different length or flight then ball 6 which needs to be a tight line they need to defend if I want the maiden doesnt always work but I wouldn't want it to

Tunza

School Cricketer
So I tried some of the suggested strategies and had some success - thank you all.

I'm down from about 80% to 50% of overs having a sixth ball miracle shot.

My worst case was a number 10 batsman hitting his first ball of a FC match over point for four between two fielders who were very close together on the boundary. Frustrating to spend time moving fields around to deal with a clear bug only to have the bug be unstoppable.

I've also found that if you give up a couple of singles during an over you reduced the chance of a sixth ball slog massively - although this is counter-intuitive. Fingers crossed they fix this bug in a future patch.

Wavelberry

International Cricketer
Having just bowled this morning on a swinging pitch and bowled well this was extremely obvious and clear.

So many times I'd bowled a good over only to have a switch flick and a decent ball get creamed for four no matter what. It's a bit of an immersion breaker. I don't mind bad balls being put away but this was not happening when I bowled. They were good deliveries to a field that were getting struck away for four even by tailenders. This was in a first class match so no rr issues or anything or indeed any reason to hit out the way they do. It does seem very counter-intuitive to good cricket.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Getting hit on the last ball was there in DBC 14, dont have DBC 17 yet to comment on that but as you said 5 balls dot last ball hit happens on a regular basis..The way to counter that is to bowl a different angle and set the field particularly for the type of delivery you are going to bowl..Few times that slog makes it a wicket chance..Again the suggestion is based on DBC 14 not 17...
Agree that the last ball of over (on DB14) was generally clouted to the boundary by AI batting team. To counter this and in an effort to keep the scoring rate to under 4-6 an over, I would purposely bowl a wide ball on the sixth delivery. OK....I had an extra ball to bowl but AI didn't seem to recognise it as the 'last ball' and would play at the extra ball without slogging.

mkstatto

School Cricketer
Cliffy in his latest video eludes to this happening too. Big admirer of his DB output.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yes this happens and in all game modes so far as I can tell.

I find slower balls are useful to limit it but doesn't eradicate it.

It's vaguely understandable in limited overs but weird and annoying in FC.

Users who are viewing this thread