DBC 17 - The Complete Review! Please Answer the Poll!

To what extent do you agree with this review?

• Strongly Agree

Votes: 76 55.9%
  • Somewhat Agree

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • On the Fence

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Somewhat Disagree

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

varunschuey

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Please cast your Vote above after reading the Review!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bigant Studios have released the new Don Bradman Cricket 17 (DBC 17) on Xbox One and PS4 on December 15th. The game is also due to be released on PC before the end of January 2017.

This is the second iteration of the game and acts as a sequel to the critically acclaimed Don Bradman Cricket 14. This review is based upon playing the game on PS4 with the day one patch.

New Features

· Stadium and Logo Creation Tools

· Helicopter Shot – play the fancy looking lofted on drive that MS Dhoni plays.

· Women’s Cricket – you can play women’s cricket with well-designed women cricketers and teams.

· Gameplay Modifiers – provides a plethora of options to customize various options of the game such as Pace, Turn, Bounce, and Timing Windows among many others. This is a welcome addition and will contribute to the allure and longevity of the game, if the core game play issues are fixed.

Bowling

Bowling is a fresh breath of air in DBC 17 and is a decent improvement over DBC 14. It feels refined and polished….gone are the massive HUD elements that existed in DBC 14 to be replaced by streamlined and intuitive indicators and controls.

Spin bowling is now easier to understand and has been nicely implemented, and the addition of the delivery type to the minimally invasive HUD elements makes it more accessible for people who are new to the game.

Bowling has seen a backward step when it comes to 'Length Control'. Deliveries land on pretty much an identical length.....based on what length you originally chose using the buttons, and the pitch map clearly illustrates this.

There is some possibility to introduce tiny variations in length by using the bumper buttons, but it is insignificant. Bigant have sadly taken away the analog length control that existed in DBC 14....where length within the designated zone (short, good, full) was determined by the point of ball release.

Graphics

The graphics are nothing to write home about, but the frame rate is acceptable. It appears that there is a slight improvement in graphics (especially the grass) as opposed to DBC 14. Graphics in my opinion is definitely not a deal breaker and can be palated if core game play issues were to be fixed.

Object Collision

Object Collision detection is flawed, and the ball at times collides with invisible objects and changes trajectory, especially for sixes hit square of the wicket. Byes are also awarded at times ,although there is clear contact between the ball and the batsman.

Commentary

Commentary in DBC 17 is probably as bad as it gets. The commentators lack energy, sound as if they'd rather be elsewhere, have profound accents, and most importantly the script is very limited. To add to the woes, the script triggers are flawed......leading to inappropriate comments.

The commentator kept saying 3 for 1, and I kept wondering as I had not lost any wickets before realizing that he was TRYING to say 'through for one' when I took a single. This is just one (actually not so negative) example of how poor the commentary is.

Cricket Academy

The much acclaimed Don Bradman Cricket Academy sees a remarkable improvement. Player creation tools have been enhanced, providing intricate options to create player likenesses. The new iteration of the game also sees the addition of a Stadium Editor and a Logo creator, allowing one to create custom stadiums and add logos, tattoos and kits for their created teams and players.

The academy completely overcomes the lack of official licenses as there are hundreds of community created teams, players and kits that can be downloaded seamlessly. This option worked at the click of a button in DBC 14 where a user could replace the on disc content with the community content, but is not working properly in DBC 17 at the time of writing this review (this is expected to be addressed swiftly and should not be any cause for concern).

Batting

Batting was one of the strong suits of the previous version of the game, and it was naturally expected that Bigant would build upon the solid foundation and make it more refined. However batting in DBC 17 is a huge let down and a massive retrograde step when compared to DBC 14. This core aspect of game play is severely messed up and one wonders how they managed to take something that was working decently in the previous version and destroy it completely.

I have highlighted some of the glaringly obvious game breakers and issues with batting below:

1. No Cover Drive - How could Bigant not notice that one cannot play a Cover Drive, one of the basic and most used shots in cricket? Attempting a cover drive triggers an animation where the batsman falls away to the leg side, exposes his stumps and attempts a nothing shot (getting bowled more often than not). This has meant that 40% of the offside field is inaccessible.

The cover drive was conspicuous by its absence within 10 minutes of playing the game and I wonder how this was missed not only by the developers but also by their QA team. This shot is as integral to cricket as a Forehand is in tennis (hope the tennis game currently in the works by Bigant has a forehand).

2. Leg Glance - The leg glance always ends up in front of square and rarely goes to backward square leg...let alone fine leg. There is no back foot leg glance animation either which is one of the bread and butter shots in cricket. Leg glance issues again render almost 50% of the onside inaccessible.

3. Backfoot Play – Driving off the back foot is a hallmark of good batsmen and leads to spectacular and elegant strokes. Backfoot drives are sadly almost non-existent in the game, as you can only connect with backfoot shots if the delivery is very short and presents an opportunity to cut or hook. It is perplexing as to why Bigant has neutered backfoot play in DBC 17, while it existed in DBC 14.

4. Animations – Batting animations are unrealistic and poor/absent for the square drive, cover drive, backfoot leg glance, cut and pull. The number of animations are very limited in general.

5. Stroke Variation – The cricket field like any circular body spans 360 degrees. The much proclaimed 360 degree analog batting controls should therefore be capable of ensuring placement for every 10 degrees at least.....which means that there should be 36 possible variants of ground stroke play depending on my analog stick position but astonishingly, the number of groundstrokes (areas that you can hit to) in the game are not more than 12.

DBC 14 was slightly better in this regard (although not completely analog as proclaimed) and offered close to 20 variants. A sequel should have seen improvement in this core aspect, let alone suffer as is evident now.

For instance the third man (especially fine third man) region is not accessible through a glide or a late cut, and the ball always ends up at squarish gully when you attempt this shot.

6. Need to Premeditate - Batting during online matches is reduced to premeditation, especially for lofted shots. You need to initiate lofted shots, at the point of ball release....any attempt at trying to decipher the line/length....even if its a micro second....will result in late timing.

One is not able to see 'Early Timing' for fast and fast medium bowlers even if the shot is being initiated just before the ball leaves the bowler's hand or exactly at the moment of release. This issue has cropped up after Patch 2 and ruins online game play (as game play modifiers are not applicable) and has scuppered the one improvement in Batting over DBC 14 (this point has been added after patch 2).

7. Cameras – The batting cameras are either the same or a slightly degraded version. The ‘Pro’ cam is shaky and unstable, while the standard ‘Batsman Far’ camera has something off about it (cannot put my finger on it) which makes playing spinners harder than usual.

The camera does not follow the ball after you play a shot and stays rooted to the pitch (acting as your running camera). This ruins the experience as you cannot see where exactly the ball ended up when you play it into the outfield, and more importantly from a satisfaction perspective as you cannot see a well hit shot careening across/over the ropes. Although there was no ‘Follow the Ball’ camera in DBC 14, it at least had an option to switch to a Fielding cam which gave a better perspective while running.

Running

This aspect of the game was not great in the previous version, and seems worse off in DBC 17.

Running between the wickets seems laidback and drowsy. Although the batsmen look like they are ambling from one end to the other, they can pretty much smash the ball straight to a fielder within the circle and get an easy single. Hitting a ball to the outfield means that you get an easy 2 or 3 runs every time, even if it is hit straight to a fielder (more on the fielding later).

To put it plainly, it appears as if the batsmen are slowly jogging 15 yards rather than 22 yards to complete a run and have the super human ability to jump almost 15 feet to gain their crease.

And here is a game breaker….more than half of the time the keeper/bowler receiving the throw will not position himself to collect the ball but will jump 10 to 15 feet at the last moment to catch the ball. At times, even when the throw is right on top of the bails the player will catch the ball and then dive 10 to 15 feet away from the stumps. This ‘Diving Mania’ coupled with the fact that players pause for a second or two before breaking the bails has rendered running between the wickets a complete joke.

There is again no excuse for a cricket game where one can easily maintain a run rate of 12 runs per over without hitting any boundaries.

Fielding

Fielding Performance - Fielders in DBC 14 were said to be blessed with super human capabilities (before that game was patched), while the opposite can be said about DBC 17. Fielders appear to be in a slumber and will happily let past balls which are more than 2 yards away. Sprinting behind the ball gives place to an easy jog and a leisurely pick up.

Throws back to the keeper/bowler tend to lack power and are at times intercepted by other fielders, to the detriment of the bowling team. These interceptors are also at times plagued by the diving mania, and the fact that fielders sometimes throw the ball backwards towards the boundary rather than the pitch (say mid-on to long on) makes you tear your hair in frustration.

Although I have not experienced this much, it has been reported by sections of the playing community that a lot of catches are being dropped by the AI…even at the highest difficulty levels.

Fielding Radar – There is no fielding radar in the game, although it has been one of the most requested features since DBC 14. The batsman has to pan the camera and look around to gauge the field placement. This does not give an accurate picture and again slows the game down considerably. Bigant have argued that it adds to the realism, but if your game can have aerial ball markers, throw meters, and bowling aids the size of Jupiter, there is no argument against a fielding radar (you can make it optional Bigant).

Setting Fields – Setting a field is a nightmare in DBC 17, not because the field editor is difficult but because of the number of clicks it takes to access a menu which allows you to set a field. There is no quick D-Pad access to field settings (existed in DBC 14). Field settings will have to be updated for each individual batsman against each individual bowler. There is again no option to set a field which applies to all batsmen and all bowlers which existed in DBC 14.

So, let us say that you decide to bowl with Brett Lee and you set a field for Tendulkar….then even if you want to have the same field for Sehwag at the other end, you need to set it again. That is not the end of the story….when Johnson starts the next over you have to repeat the same exercise for both Tendulkar and Sehwag. Imagine the amount of time and effort this takes when you need to keep changing fields frequently, and also to set fresh fields every time a wicket falls….does it all sound too complicated….oh yes it is!!!!

To add insult to injury, you are limited to 30 seconds on online games to change your fields (every over) and it takes more than 30 seconds to just set the field for a single batsman. It is ironic that Bigant is trying to hasten you while slowing the game to an unnecessary crawl due to their poor design choice.

Superhuman Spin Bowler/Keeper – Spinners and Wicket Keepers morph into super humans when it comes to fielding. Keepers can read your mind and snap catches off most attempted cut shots (perfectly played ones) by diving almost 2-4 feet across.....whereas a deviation of more than 6 inches is almost impossible to pouch for a keeper in real life.

Spin bowlers hardly let any straight drives past, no matter how powerfully struck or well timed the stroke is.

Career Mode

The career mode in DBC is comprehensive (similar to DBC 14), and adds an extra layer where your career player needs to play for local teams before getting to play county cricket. There is however the surprising omission of Career Stats, which drains from the experience as one of the fundamental attractions of a cricket career is to enjoy and hopefully improve your statistics over a period of time.

User Interface

The user interface looks classy but the navigation is somewhat tedious and options are buried under a sea of menus. The UI could do with a bit of improvement to make it more intuitive, but there is nothing critical about this aspect of the game (after from field settings of course).

Stability

The game crashes often, perhaps at the rate of 3-4 times a day. This is expected to be fixed shortly but is in line with the overall broken experience.

Online and AI

There are no options to choose difficulty settings for online games, and the default difficulty seems to be very low….leading to unrealistic scores and thereby ruining the experience. I have not evaluated the AI performance as the fundamental gameplay issues have sparked no interest in such endeavour.

Conclusion

Bowling has seen good improvement while all other areas are significantly poorer than the previous edition of the game (which says something in itself). Batting, Fielding, Running and Cameras all have game breaking issues.

The game appears to be severely under-developed and curiously worse than its predecessor as several aspects of core game play which worked well in the previous edition are broken here. I am not sure what the Developers and the QA team at Bigant were thinking before releasing this game. All of these issues were apparent to me within 2-3 hours of playing the game and it is baffling as to how Bigant missed them (did they play the game even once before releasing it – no pun intended).

Bigant did a wonderful job with DBC 14 where they built a ground breaking cricket game from scratch, but looking at the quality of DBC 17….I am forced to contemplate whether they really devoted any time, money or thought towards this title or if it was just a profit making exercise to ensure that they hit their margins across both iterations of the game.

Having Women Players, Helicopter shots, Dilscoops, Stadium Creators etc are just bells and whistles....and in my opinion irrelevant if you cannot get the simplest, fundamental aspects right, especially those that already existed in the previous version.

As it stands if you have a copy of DBC 14 you should not buy DBC 17, and if you do not have a copy of DBC 14….you should buy DBC 14 !!!

Click on this link - blog

dbc-17-png.178280

Last edited:

varunschuey

Club Captain
I request the members of the planet cricket community to cast their vote in response to the review that I have written above. This would reflect the opinion of the majority on the game and may move Bigant to providing a comprehensive solution.

kulch

Club Captain
Getting de ja vu
Remember when PES was the king on PS2 and then on PS3 got worse.
I might have to buy DBC14 again. It was my last game on PS3.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
You might want to edit the thread title to read 'opinion' or 'review' instead of 'real truth', given a lot of your content is reflective of your personal experience and not necessarily all users.

For example, I haven't experienced a single crash in 15+ hours played.

You might also want to consider a balanced scale in your poll, because as it stands, it is poorly positioned and is skewed heavily towards agreeing with your review.

varunschuey

Club Captain
@BigAntStudios, @mikeymerren, @HBK619 - kindly look into this review and respond. I would really appreciate your take on things, and am willing to help by providing further feedback on specific issues and aspects of the game.

ahsan_786

School Cricketer
Great review number issues well covered. Still no one on the planet cricket (specially big ant) seems to be agreeing that dbc 17 is currently worse than 14 and some of the great things from 14 aren't carried forward to 17 which is extremely surprising. Big ant would do well by following this statement, if it's not broke then don't fix it!!

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Solid analysis, well written. Other than what Snowy's said, top stuff.

EDIT:

Nevermind, things get weird about page five of this thing so maybe not the best source either.

Last edited:

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
  • Strongly agree
  • Somewhat agree
  • Neither agree nor disagree
  • Somewhat disagree
  • Strongly disagree
That's how you collect agreement in a balanced way. Not using three affirmatives, and a single polarising negative.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yeah agreed. I guess we all know what's going on here. Whether things change is a different matter. I'd rather they just updated DBC14 instead, that's a far better base for a game. Add in some sliders, the deeper career mode, and attributes mattering, and hey presto, what a game, job done.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
...even better, just download the DBC14 hack, put it on a disk in a box + expanded player/stadium creator and charge the price of a dozen craft beer for it.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That's a pretty detailed review of the game and I agree with most of it. I can't comment on online or career mode as I haven't played those modes but agree with other points especially related to batting and AI fielding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread