Tutorial: Does anyone have any tips to improve batting?

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Frankly I am terrible at it.
My bowling is ok however with over 100 wickets already 8 games from the end of the season with Kent as a fast bowling all rounder batting at fourth.

Liam hughes

Club Cricketer
I wasn't very good at batting when I first started playing and then when I got better it was only because I'd move across the stumps and hit everything leg side which was kinda boring.
But then when I got the game on ps4 last week and started a new career I used the pro mode camera and after I got used to it I got much better at batting and it was more realistic. Barely pre meditate anything anymore and have more realistic strike rates. I play on veteran. So my advice is play with the pro camera for a while haha.
Also if you're only in your first season and if you're a 16 year old your skills are really low. So just try and bat time blocking stuff and your skills will go up the longer you bat and it'll get easier

Liam hughes

Club Cricketer
Also you can make the bowler bowl to you kinda.
Like if they bowl wide outside off stump and you keep playing and missing there they keep bowling there. But if you leave a couple in a row they'll bowl straighter. Or if you back away from the stumps they'll follow you a bit.
Also if you want them to bowl full move back in your crease when they are running in etc.

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The nets are your friend in this game. Don't be afraid to spend a while in there with the bowling machine set to the difficulty you want to play at. You can also select what kind of bowling you want to face. Try and get a good streak going without getting out and you should start to time the ball better with practice.

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
The nets are your friend in this game. Don't be afraid to spend a while in there with the bowling machine set to the difficulty you want to play at. You can also select what kind of bowling you want to face. Try and get a good streak going without getting out and you should start to time the ball better with practice.

Pretty much what I have done then. Takes a lot of practice.

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Pretty much what I have done then. Takes a lot of practice.
It does. You can learn a lot from playing against the AI as well and you will find out where you are going wrong pretty quickly if you are struggling.

handsome

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Reiterating this and hope it helps

The trick with batting is to start having 2 shots in mind the cover drive and on drive for example. One for the leg side balls and one for the off side. Now do not think about front foot or back foot, squarer cover drive. When the ball is bowled, play according to the line of the ball , either cover drive or on drive. Practise this for a few days and you will see yourself getting better at playing the lines. Slowly, increase your range from playing in the V to square cut when then ball is short and voila you have 3 shots in the armory.

Santander

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Batting started off tough for me (as with everyone) because I played the majority of my shots between mid-on and cover point, which is where I prefer to play IRL. However, I've found it is generally safer/easier to play down the leg side, especially as a young bowling all-rounder in career mode. Front-foot pulls and leg glances are very easy to play off pace bowlers and any edges you get are far less likely to get caught than off-side edges. This is particularly effective when the other team packs the slips. Never expose the stumps, be satisfied with 1s and 2s and punish poor spin field placements with lofted shots straight down the ground. Eventually, you'll find shots/areas you like to play to and a couple of back-up shots in case the fielding team prevents you from playing to that side of the field.

Westindies

Club Captain
Ok here is a million dollar practice tip, play 4-5 Stick cricket in your mobile and give DBC14 a try it works really well, seriously!!!

marcopolio1001

School Cricketer
Any tips on shot placement - for instance, the cover drive. If I want to play it squarer to take out extra cover, is possible? And likewise, I want to clip backward of square or in front of square depending on field.

Is this possible?

Al Pacino

School Cricketer
Any tips on shot placement - for instance, the cover drive. If I want to play it squarer to take out extra cover, is possible? And likewise, I want to clip backward of square or in front of square depending on field.

Is this possible?
same problem

Swervin

Club Cricketer

Is this possible?
give yourself more room and your cover drive will go squarer
to play a late cut get on the front foot and pull RAS back to about 5 o'clock, should run the ball down to 3rd man
to run the ball down to fine leg time your shot later when playing down the leg side

marcopolio1001

School Cricketer
Swervin, that makes sense but I mostly feel as though I have no real control of placing my shots. I play a cover drive and it will be somewhere in the arc of cover. If I leave it later, the ball is mistimed and I'm never hitting a four.

Maybe I'm just not very good :)

Users who are viewing this thread