Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

Cloud Starkman

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
if you guys are trying to hit to mid on with a ball that has a line outside or on off stump you WILL get a pull shot animation as this is by definition a pull shot, a mid wicket shot should only be attempte with a ball on middle to leg stump.... just check your line when you are trying to play through mid wicket....see if you getting a pull shot animation when the ball in pitch on middle and leg stump.
But the ball is pitched up I should be able to play a full delivery either side of the wicket it worked before patch 3

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
But the ball is pitched up I should be able to play a full delivery either side of the wicket it worked before patch 3
in my opinion that was incorrect before patch 3, a leg glance should always only be played when pitched in line with your legs. I know I am being technical ;) and the modern T20 real life players play anything with any ball to any place.....maybe a full pitched ball (yellow or blue) should get a leg glance animation but you run the risk of inside edge onto stumps or missing the ball.

grkrama

National Board President
you can hit from off side to midon midwkt, getting in line with the ball a left hander it would be from 10-11 on ls, right hander 1-2. think apart from that pull animation playing out when the footwork isnt right its reasonably balanced.

while this may sound like a lot to do, it will kick in with muscle memory as time goes on like driving.

The only thing i would say is observe your LS and RS movements in academy and the resulting shots. The game is really indepth nothing random about it just a lot more variables play a part now like Footwork LS, timing, Bat direction RS, delivery pace and angle, pitch variation etc. give it time, it would be a real shame if we lost this indepth batting gameplay because we dont give it time to tick.

ps; sorry for the encode qualities still playing around with OBS.

Alberts

International Coach
Seems AI batsmen have revived more of the psychic powers of their DBC 14 brethren after the patch. I'm now pretty consistently seeing AI batsmen confident to leave 2-3 balls an over less than half a ball width from their stumps off spinners, they're very confident about the amount of turn the ball will get it seems.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
if you guys are trying to hit to mid on with a ball that has a line outside or on off stump you WILL get a pull shot animation as this is by definition a pull shot, a mid wicket shot should only be attempte with a ball on middle to leg stump.... just check your line when you are trying to play through mid wicket....see if you getting a pull shot animation when the ball in pitch on middle and leg stump.

I cannot disagree with this more. I've played cricket since I was a little kid and it is very common for people to flick balls from middle/off stump to the leg side. It may be frowned upon by some coaches as it is an LBW risk but it is definitely very common. Indian players like Laxman with silky smooth wrists have become masters of such a thing. It would throw off bowlers as you'd think you bowled a good line yet were whipped to the leg side as if you bowled a bad one.

I'll admit this is hard to program. Both the leg glance and pull shot can be played off the front and back foot in real life. To simplify things I think the CPU should help you out a bit and make sure you're not doing pull shots to yorkers, perhaps unless you selected back foot.

If you select front foot then I don't think a pull shot animation should ever occur to any ball that isn't at least a good length (so not full).[DOUBLEPOST=1485451614][/DOUBLEPOST]
you can hit from off side to midon midwkt, getting in line with the ball a left hander it would be from 10-11 on ls, right hander 1-2. think apart from that pull animation playing out when the footwork isnt right its reasonably balanced.

Yes I think those pull shots to yorkers just outside off really shouldn't occur. Batsmen in real life do swipe to the leg side on the front foot for balls on or outside off.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
in my opinion that was incorrect before patch 3, a leg glance should always only be played when pitched in line with your legs. I know I am being technical ;) and the modern T20 real life players play anything with any ball to any place.....maybe a full pitched ball (yellow or blue) should get a leg glance animation but you run the risk of inside edge onto stumps or missing the ball.

It didn't take long to find a nice video of an Indian batsman playing a leg glance to a ball pitched on off. Check out 5:55 in the above video. The commentators even note that the ball wasn't on leg stump but more more off/middle. Having a pull shot animation to a ball that full would look ridiculous (even for a player of Tendulkar's height)

riteshagl

County Cricketer
Ok thanks @grkrama
Now i am able to play leg glances with much ease. U have given some fantastic advice with regards to foot position. U need to do 1.5 o clock on LS instead of standard 12 o clock for most shots including leg glance/flick.
Basically to an extent it is safe to say that 1.5 o clock is our new 12 o clock for most shots. I highly recommend everyone to start using this approach. It is important to get close to the ball, hence this approach.

Having said that, i have noted that it is pretty difficult to hit the ball towards extra cover and between mid on and midwicket (difficult but not impossible). I would prefer the possibility to be increased a little higher. It seems the ball is coded to go more towards cover and midwicket (i guess this is reason why there are so many inside edges to the pad when trying to hit between midwicket and mid on). Again i want to stress that the shots are possible but a little hard to execute. It should be much easier. Also the pull shot animation is quite poor when u try to flick wider deliveries. I dont mind the batsman missing the flick as the delivery is too far offside, but the pull shot animation is weird.

I would realy want the AI to put better field placements. I have noticed that in T20, everytime a wicket falls, they set very attacking field though not needed. AI field placement really needs to be looked at in general. Same with regards to running between wickets but i guess a lot has been written about it so need not repeat it.

I must say that batting in general is more difficult post patch 3, but much more enjoyable once u get the hang of it. I was really struggling in the beginning but have started to bat much better. Some tweaks in patch 4 and we should have an almost perfect batting experience.

Alberts

International Coach
I've got to say, my favourite moment since the patch is seeing the Windies under pressure, Blackwood having scored 5 runs off about 50 deliveries, suddenly deciding to try a helicopter shot. Missed everything, but still.

Elrondhalfelven

Club Cricketer
The game itself is a lot of fun, but there are a few issues the need work at this time. Hype and early release teething issues don't really get along though, it's a new game after a successful first game in the series, any issues will have amplified reactions. A lot of the crashing was due to issues from the original release version and the academy, if you have only played since after the second patch, it's likely you've not see these.

There are a good number of positives in the design decisions, the game is showing a lot of potential, but there are equally a lot of concerns, and valid ones at that, about issues in game. Whilst you note what you call a cover drive, what you're probably doing is a more standard offdrive that's a bit straighter, there is a well known issue with proper cover drives. Equally, there exists an issue where length has been set as a too accurate with bowlers, making it too easy to hit your lengths time and time again. The fielding issues are also understandable. Beyond that there are numerous issues they're working out with the academy, as well as career mode bugs as you've encountered.

Given time I'm the issues will be sorted, and we'll have a game that is considerably better than DBC 14, but there are understandable concerns at this time.
hey buddy stop lying to the public- THE GAME IS BROKEN - tell the truth

D

Deleted member 46200

You need to give it a little time and patience it's playable but we do need a patch to fix things. Not totally broken so let's not see Tommy Tantrum, if there're bugs then these need to be reported other problems are found in different threads where 'work a round' solutions can be found... Relax, this has always been a long term project.

D

Deleted member 46200

I've got to say, my favourite moment since the patch is seeing the Windies under pressure, Blackwood having scored 5 runs off about 50 deliveries, suddenly deciding to try a helicopter shot. Missed everything, but still.
True to life/form from the past T20 series with Pakistan

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It's simply the greatest sporting computer game that has ever been created there is nothing broken about it.

Users who are viewing this thread