Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I would always advise developers to forget about publishers these days TBH. Totally unneeded now.

If you can self-fund then I'd agree, especially if it does not involve console platforms, stating the obvious, games are expensive to make and people need to be paid during the dev cycle - it's risky capital/finance.

Also, having an external pressure to deliver is often good thing.

D

Deleted member 46200

If you can self-fund then I'd agree, especially if it does not involve console platforms, stating the obvious, games are expensive to make and people need to be paid during the dev cycle - it's risky capital/finance.

Can someone tell him I said thanks for his post...?

Chief

Panel of Selectors

Oh - Yes on the finance. Remember when devs used to get advances? Happy times. :) Although I would say that crowdfunding DOES still work if done right (although it's a hell of a lot harder than it used to be!) and there's definitely an early access pay-up-front route as part of that.

The biggest mistake devs make is confusing "self-publishing" with "self-distribution". They often don't really know how to do any of the publishing things (or indeed what those things are). Marketing/PR etc: You still need all of those functions to make it work, even if you hire in your own people or external agencies.

grkrama

National Board President
Although I would say that crowdfunding DOES still work if done right

Its hard getting people to pay for a finished cricket game, do you think it will work for cricket?

(although it's a hell of a lot harder than it used to be!) and there's definitely an early access pay-up-front route as part of that.

especially when a lot of devs are using it just as a source of income, and put the game in EA for years long.

I would trust BA cause i know them but apart from testing value i dont think BA can rely on EA for funding.

gunit123

County Cricketer
Anyone kind enough to share any info on whether you can simulate co op games vs AI online with the testing?

I'm not aware of that being touched

Ah, that's a shame if it is not included. I'm hoping that it was at least considered as a possibility from the Big Ant team as it was a popular idea in the "wish list" section - I hope that it may be considered in future patches down the line. IMO it would add considerable depth when playing with friends online.

Arindam98

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'd say the game has gone backwards from DBC 14. The severe gameplay issues and bugs (thanks to the game being greedily released 6 months before it was ready) will hopefully be resolved in the months to come, but the graphics are terrible. The grass and trees might look better, but the players look way too cartoony and unrealistic. This site makes a good comparison of the graphics from both games: I'll Play It Anyway, But Don Bradman Cricket Has Issues | Kotaku Australia

But I can't blame Big Ant alone for the state of this game...

The next part is just my personal opinion... Over the course of the game's development, I feel that many Planet Cricket regulars have misled Big Ant to a great extent, continually reassuring them that everything looked fantastic and top-notch, when they clearly didn't. Worse, anyone questioning the quality of any aspect was immediately ganged upon and ridiculed, while his negative feedback got shot down and dismissed by the usual suspects. And now the harsh truth is coming from reviews on other sites, from both critics and users.

This should be a lesson for Big Ant Studios, to not take the loud voices of a few as facts in the future. Instead, try to learn more from the ones that didn't like certain aspects of the game, and see how you can address them. For now, enjoy the 54% rating on Steam. :)

P.S. Please don't think that patch 4 is a favour you are doing for the fans (again, as the sycophants would assure you); if you don't release it, the fans simply won't buy the next instalment.

D

Dutch

P.S. Please don't think that patch 4 is a favour you are doing for the fans (again, as the sycophants would assure you); if you don't release it, the fans simply won't buy the next instalment.
Have you done a survey of all of the fans?

Users who are viewing this thread