Getting a PS3 Controller to work

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Ok folks, I will go over the complete process of making your PS3 controller work on PC. I have Windows 8 and I was able to do it using this process but I don't see this shouldn't work for Windows 7 as well...

1. Make sure your comp or laptop has a working bluetooth adapter. If not, you will need to get an external bluetooth adapter.

2. Plug in your PS3 controller using USB connector. Windows will use its own drivers to recognize the controller. Let windows do whatever it does and wait it out. For me it took 30-40 seconds.

3. Download Motioninjoy driver from the following link and install the driver...
Playstation 3 controller(Dualshcok 3 or Sixaxis) driver for windows | MotioninJoy
I installed version 7.1000 - the topmost one

4. Click on 'DS3Tool.exe' which comes bundled along with the motioninjoy download and then follow the steps mentioned in the following video. Only follow the steps till 1.58 of the video, i.e. till the point you load the drivers in the DriverManager tab.
[How To] Use MotionInJoy to Connect PS3 Controller To PC Using USB or Bluetooth - YouTube

5. Once drivers are loaded close DS3Tool and unplug PS3 controller.

6. Download 'Better DS3' utility from the following link...
Better DS3 | An offline alternative MotioninJoy driver configuration tool.

This utility maps and configures your PS3 controller as XBox 360 controller on PC.

7. Open up the 'Better DS3' utility and plug in your PS3 controller via USB in to the PC.

8. 'Better DS3' tool should recognize your PS3 controller and follow the steps in this video to configure the PS3 controller.
DS3 Tool Offline Alternative: Better DS3 - YouTube

Follow these steps and you should be all set! I faced plenty of challenges as well coz there was no single video which explained the whole process. Some only explained the motioninjoy driver piece whereas others only explained how to configure PS3 controller as xbox360 one, but I wasn't able to find all the info in one spot. Follow these steps verbatim and you will be golden :)

TripleM

Club Captain
If you read everything people said about the original DS3 tool and don't want to run it at all, you can replace step 4 with a manual driver install by following these instructions:

Better DS3 & No Need For DS3 Tool: Manual Driver Installation in Windows 7 - YouTube

(The drivers folder is found where you installed MotionInJoy, and after double clicking the hardware device I had to click 'Change settings' on the general tab before proceeding to be able to update the driver).

logout20

Club Cricketer
do you know how to edit the ini file to make the sticks work..

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Just a note based on some comments I saw in the other thread, the above only works with an actual PS3 controller, not just one that looks like a PS3 controller.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
If you read everything people said about the original DS3 tool and don't want to run it at all, you can replace step 4 with a manual driver install by following these instructions:

Better DS3 & No Need For DS3 Tool: Manual Driver Installation in Windows 7 - YouTube

(The drivers folder is found where you installed MotionInJoy, and after double clicking the hardware device I had to click 'Change settings' on the general tab before proceeding to be able to update the driver).

I tried this approach of installing drivers but wasn't able to get it to work. I got the message "The drivers you have installed are the most recent version" or something to that effect. That's why I was forced to use the DS3Tool to install the drivers. Once the drivers were installed I reverted to the 'Better DS3' utility.

ThandaMilk

Club Captain
Alternative method

For those, like me, for whom Motioninjoy won't work (0x2 error), here is another alternative. Worked like a charm for me. I'm running Windows 7 64bit on VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X.

A bit of a leap of faith required in terms of allowing an "untrusted" developer; can confirm though that this is real and in case you're facing issues with any of the preferred methods (above), you may want to give this a shot.

How To Use a PS3 Controller on Windows PC without MotioninJoy - YouTube

arjwiz

Associate Captain
Thanks, this works perfectly for me. Point 8 was what fixed the earlier issues I was having.

Crazymilanfan

School Cricketer
am using ps3 controller myself and works great. I had few issues but just selected that button use xbox 360 settings and it now is perfect.

Gentoras

International Cricketer
My controller works fine now, it was a problem of mapping...

Though my controller has to be connected through the usb cord to work! Its not working via bluetooth, could it be the adapter? because I'm using Windows 8 and the packaging of the adapter says its compitable with Windows 7 and the before OS

Users who are viewing this thread