ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

grkrama

National Board President
I would also like the world best matches or something, just make it one test and pay the stars what they will earn in a IPL season for that one match and some grand awards. Market it properly it can be a very popular one, every year with a particular nation hosting it every year.

Probably make it like a home Xi vs away XI

for example if the match is taking place in australia

Make one team comprising of AUS, NZ , SA(since sa conditons are similar) and another with ROW

In INDIA a team comprising of (IND , SL, PAK ,BAN if needed throw in ENG for a good measure) vs ROW

Imagine steyn and johnson steaming in together against root and kohli in long form in proper test pitch or ashwin and herath bowling together .

It can be really marketed something like the ultimate brawl

PokerAce

Banned
I remember back in the 90s there used to be some games featuring Rest of WOrld Teams. They were nothing more than exhibition games, but still fun to watch.

PokerAce

Banned
^Anurag Thakur, who I am not sure exactly what post he holds in BCCI, but is definitely one of those calling the shots right now, had mentioned a while back, that BCCI will look to remove Srini as BCCI's choice for ICC President. Its worth watching this space. Srini could get the boot.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The enemy within cricket is killing the game - Telegraph

The enemy within cricket is killing the game
Cricket's big beasts are carving up the sport for their own grubby interests with no care for the damage they're doing

Narayanaswami_Srin_3424481b.jpg

The head of the ICC Narayanaswami Srinivasan has shown Blatterish skills of obfuscation Photo: PA

By Simon Heffer

5:09PM BST 31 Aug 2015

In a love affair with cricket lasting nearly half a century the game has only twice genuinely distressed me. The first time was when a freak ball killed Phillip Hughes last November, and cricket lost its innocence far more utterly than in any of the appalling, but more comprehensible, match-fixing and betting scandals of the 2000s. The second time was last week, when I caught up with Sam Collins and Jarrod Kimber’s documentary about the future of Test cricket, Death of a Gentleman.

It is customary when reviewing a film to build to a climax either of praise or disdain, but I shall not detain you. This is one of the most important documentaries I have seen, and by far the finest about cricket. No one with an interest in the game – including anyone who ever intends to pay again to watch a match – should fail to see it. I watched it with a mounting sense of grief, rage and disgust as it told the story of how three cricketing nations – England, Australia and, calling the tune, India – have stitched up international cricket and with it millions of cricket lovers all over the world.

Collins and Kimber set out to explore whether the five-day game – to serious cricket lovers the apogee of the sport – could survive much longer. Over three years they found that the film they hoped to make became another one altogether, focusing on a secret deal the three richest cricketing nations did to use money from short-form cricket in particular to enrich a small group of people – mainly in the subcontinent – while reducing funds to countries such as West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa, where Test cricket is rapidly dying.

mccullum3_3405355b.jpg
Test cricket is dying in countries such as New Zealand Photo: John Robertson

There is a complete absence of transparency in the international game. The man now running the International Cricket Council, Narayanaswami Srinivasan, has the distinction of having had the Supreme Court of India rule against him chairing his own national board. He agreed to be interviewed in the film, and displays Blatterish skills of obfuscation. Srinivasan is in a civil war with the equally unreliable Lalit Modi, the progenitor of India’s T20 franchise. The film asks whether cricket is to these people a sport or simply a money-grubbing form of entertainment. And they conclude that if it is to become the latter – which it will, at the present rate – then like all entertainment shows cricket will, one day, be cancelled.

The Indians have so much money that other boards cannot afford to disoblige them. When South Africa appointed to run their affairs an articulate critic of Srinivasan the Indians threatened to cancel a tour there, and ended up shortening it at huge cost to South Africa. England and Australia, desperate to maintain their own high earnings, seem willingly to have connived with India at cutting the other nations out of the deal. It is a horrible thing to do to a sport that was supposed to convey values of decency and fairness.

monkey_3_3407850b.jpg
India have a huge amount of power in the world of cricket

It is unclear what personal fortunes those who run cricket on the subcontinent may make. The man who runs it here, Giles Clarke, now elevated to the presidency of the England and Wales Cricket Board, says on camera that he works for no payment. I am sure that is true. This charity work should not, however, shield him from the criticism he richly deserves for acting as an impresario rather than as a custodian of cricket’s interests.

Whoever advises Clarke on his PR – and to judge from the sinister way he conducts himself in the interview he gave Collins and Kimber, perhaps nobody does – deserves never to work again. Clarke gives a bravura display of the arrogant, patronising, utter lack of self-awareness one normally associates with the unpleasantly stupid: yet he is a an Oxford man and a successful businessman, so has clearly had to work at cultivating this persona. He strikes one as the type of man who, to cannibalise an old Monty Python joke, would if he found himself accidentally being civil and straightforward immediately become vile again just to keep his hand in.

Lord Woolf, the former Lord Chief Justice and one of the most distinguished and brilliant jurists in the world, conducted at the ICC’s invitation a study of its governance. He issued a damning verdict on the lack of accountability, especially in financial matters. Clarke dismisses him contemptuously, which is shameful and raises questions about his moral fitness for his job. Cinema audiences are reported to have booed when he came on screen later in the film, having seen an hors d’oeuvre of his nastiness early on. I am not surprised: by his third or fourth appearance, even Mother Teresa of Calcutta would want to punch him.

Thoroughly objectionable people running English cricket is not a novelty. What is new is their determination to change the game without consultation, even of their peers in other nations. I am not saying Clarke is corrupt: but he seems unconcerned that those he deals with might be.

India threatened to walk out of the international game a few years ago if it did not get its own way. The others should have told it to get lost. Instead, those with financial clout have colluded with it to prostitute the sport, and further enrich a few Indian moguls. Like so many other sports, people whose only interest is the bottom line now run cricket. This film protests against them. Will it succeed?

Like all MCC members I am invited each year to their Spirit of Cricket lecture. The club apparently refused to screen Death of a Gentleman in case it upset the ECB. How craven: how can MCC pretend to champion the spirit of the game if it is afraid to question its destruction? The club owns Lord’s: the ECB needs Lord’s more than Lord’s needs the ECB. MCC itself has had its controversies in recent years, and has created the impression that it, too, is run by a oligarchy of unsatisfactory people. Death of a Gentleman presents the world’s supposedly leading cricket club with a moral challenge. Is it equal to it?

Until it rises from its knees and questions how Clarke and his friends are changing cricket, no one can take it seriously as an incarnation of the game’s traditional values.

The driving force behind these shenanigans is the money cricket extracts out of broadcasters. I heard Nasser Hussain during the Oval Test say we should give one-day cricket priority over Tests if necessary, to create a better one-day team. Was that him speaking, or his employer, Sky Sports? There is a conspiracy of interests between the big three cricketing nations and the broadcasters to create a small group playing lucrative one-day cricket and some Tests: and if Test cricket elsewhere dies, it dies. Should England support this? Or should those in whose name the ECB acts get up and say, to the authorities and the broadcasters, that enough is enough? Or is cricket now only about money?

Watch the film. Sign the petition on its website. But let us think constructively about what can be done. It is not only about transparency, and accountability. It is also, I think, about whether cricket should now have two codes, like rugby football: the short game, which some of us struggle to take seriously, and proper, first-class cricket. It is happening by default, and the first-class code may not survive except in three or four countries. Better to plan the break, properly fund it, and give the traditional game a chance to survive in a world too full of those who wish only to exploit it.

War

Chairman of Selectors
How voting with the Big Three cost WICB $43 million : Wisden India @Samuels @westindies2007 @Haynes123

How voting with the Big Three cost WICB $43 million

Dave-Cameron-Dave-Richardson-Giles-Clarke-405x270.jpg

"Maybe the lack of interest can be explained by the giveaway of the rights we once enjoyed at the ICC because of a vote by Dave Cameron, the WICB president, and his fellow Full Members of the ICC." © Getty Images

There has been a deafening silence around the resolution of the problem with the Board of Control for Cricket in India over the tour cancelled by the President of the West Indies Cricket Board in late 2014. There was a very glib comment that it would be settled and no word since. I think this is a very rocky road and this problem will not be solved easily and without the payment of money by the WICB. I hope I am wrong.

The problem has affected the WICB tour schedule and I am sure contributed to the cancellation of a triangular One-Day International Tournament with Pakistan and Zimbabwe. The tour would have given West Indies a chance to qualify for the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 in England. Pakistan withdrew and there was no ICC pressure to insist on the tour so it was cancelled. We lost the opportunity to qualify by winning the series and gaining enough points to be among the top eight ODI teams at the qualifying date of September 30, 2015. We will now not participate in 2017. This is happening while the WICB president is playing politics with Town Hall meetings but offering no explanation for this major setback. This will be the first time that West Indies will fail to participate in an important ICC tournament.

But maybe the lack of interest can be explained by the giveaway of the rights we once enjoyed at the ICC because of a vote by Dave Cameron, the WICB president, and his fellow Full Members of the ICC. This decision has never been properly explained and most of us are not aware of the huge damage done not only to the WICB and the West Indian people, but to the game of cricket by this vote. I will explain.

When I was the Board representative at the ICC, I had the pleasure of being present when the first non-English, non-Australian person was president of the ICC, in the person of Sir Clyde Walcott. An appointment of a person other than an Australian or Englishman was blocked by England and Australia using their veto vote since 1909, when the ICC was formed. I was also present and actively participated when Jagmohan Dalmiya of India was elected president of the ICC in 1997. All this came about after an amendment to the constitution of the ICC. Even the English and Australians went along with this new regime and the pride among the other mainly non-white members was enormous. It was possible for one of us to hold the top post in the ICC.

Many WICB presidents led the fight to get this major change. I was told by many ICC members of the great respect they had for Allan Rae because he always fought issues like this, and other issues that affected the Associate and Affiliate Members, who technically had no effective vote. We now have a situation where the Full Members who are not automatically members of the executive board are in the same position as the Associate Members because of a change in the constitution of the ICC, consented to and agreed to, by the WICB, represented by Cameron. The changes are dramatic and I will spell them out.

When I was a member of the ICC, I represented the WICB. For any matter to be put, amending the constitution or key governance points, required a majority vote of the members of the executive board and then the full board of the ICC. There were twelve voting members of the executive board. Australia, England and India (I will call them “The Trio”) were able to get the Full Members to cast their vote in favour of an amendment to the constitution which virtually gives them absolute control of the ICC. Since only the executive board can make recommendations on important matters to the ICC board for approval they have voted in the following changes:

1. They have reduced the executive board from twelve to five and have provided that The Trio are the only permanent members of the executive board. The other two members are elected while The Trio are nominated. The three members have complete control of all matters to be recommended to the full board of the ICC. Under the constitution the full board can only consider those specific recommendations of the executive board.

2. The Trio have a majority of the vote and will also nominate the chairman of the executive board and of the committees of the board.

3. They have also reduced the number of members of the finance & commercial affairs committee to the same five members and The Trio are the three permanent members of this committee. Only this committee or the executive board can make recommendations to the full board on financial and commercial matters such as the distribution of surplus funds and who should get ICC tournaments.

We therefore have a situation where The Trio, with their voting power, control the source of recommendations to the full board and the board has no power to change the recommendations. This position is a continuation of the old regime prior to 1993 when two countries, Australia and England were in control, and the change is that this time they have given absolute power to The Trio.

But the real shocker in this disgusting surrender is the impact on the finances of the WICB, one of the poorest of the Full Members at the ICC. I will set out in detail the large sums we have lost with no legal right to regain them because of the stupidity of the vote by the WICB, to approve this ridiculous surrender of control of the game and the resources of cricket to The Trio. It can only mean the beginning of the pattern of corruption that we have seen with other international organisations. The Trio has already changed the distribution of the ICC surplus funds to the benefit of themselves and substantially reduced the amounts that went to the other Full Members.

Cricket began to see real revenues when a team from ICC negotiated the television and commercial rights for the World Cups in South Africa and the West Indies. It was an honour to be a part of that ICC Committee and we came close to getting US$700million for the rights. I have a theory that international sporting associations grow corrupt as they get wealthier, and hope this is not the case with my beloved game. There exists an estimate of the amount of net revenues that will be available for distribution among the ICC Members over the period 2015 to 2023. These distributions usually take place after each ICC World Cup. The amount projected is US$1.640 Billion.

So by a vote of the seven members including West Indies, the Full Members representatives including Cameron, have given away substantial earnings that we cannot replace. But worse was done by the vote, they have surrendered to The Trio the right to host the ICC World Cup and the ICC World Twenty20, which are big money-makers for the host nation as well as ICC. WICB, with its over-built infra-structure, will have no chance of hosting one of these tournaments in the future and are deprived of this benefit unless The Trio agree to help us – which seems unlikely.

The ridiculous vote also put a stop to the Future Tours Programme, which was the main plank of an ICC development initiative that required all Full Members to play each other within a limited period. The Trio has already committed the next three or four years to playing each other often and it will be interesting to see how many tours are offered to the remaining seven Full Members. The best earnings for the seven Teams is when they play one of the Trio.

However, Cameron is not the only guilty party as I am told that the WICB Board members voted in favour of the decision to surrender all our rights at the ICC, and I must address my question to them also: What did we get in return for voting in support of the change to the ICC constitution. Were questions asked by the Members or did they just accept what was put before them?

But the final blow is that the foregoing arrangements can only be reversed if one of The Trio breaks ranks and leaves the cartel and votes with the other two Full Members to change these destructive and disgusting provisions. No sport can develop and grow if the majority of the profit made goes to three Associations, while the other Full Members struggle to survive with no access to earning additional funds to develop their players and the game. If The Trio is aware of this position and continues as they are, then the game of cricket will be destroyed.

When the deal was done Cameron promised that WICB would be better off and that he would explain how. This explanation has never been given and perhaps this is a good time to tell us how WICB has benefitted from these new arrangements. All of us will be intrigued to hear how we plan to recover the funds we have given away in the new arrangement.

Pat Rousseau was President of the West Indies Cricket Board between 1996 and 2001.

S

Satan666

Pat initiated most of the problems facing WI during his tenure as President.

As much as I hate posting this WI cricket is close to its death and there is no one to blame other than the administrators themselves.

PokerAce

Banned

Does anyone apart from the Cricket Boards who have signed on to the 'Big Three' System even understand it. All kinds of articles being written by people without even understanding how the thing works.

If the author wants to project a doomsday scenario for WICB, atealst bother to ask WICB. WICB to lose $43 million? Not according to the WICB.

West Indies Projects Doubled Revenue if 'Big 3' Rule Cricket -The New Indian Express

WICB projects 100% rise in revenue if ICC revamp stamped | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

PokerAce

Banned
Allow me to explain how 'Big Three' works. Yes BCCI gets a large (very large) share of the revenue, yes ECB and ACB also get a large share of the pie. However what is with this 'equal distribution' communist mindset. Equal distribution is fine, as long as it is wealth you are distributing and not poverty. Right now those who oppose 'Big Three' are desperately supporting the equal distribution of poverty for all.

The Big Three have hogged all the major events for a reason - They are the best at generating revenue. ICC revenue works in eight year cycles. The one that lasted from 2007-2015 the total revenue generated was $1.5 billion roughly. After the taking away the costs, with equal distribution each Full Member (including WICB) got $55 million.

The current forecast net cash distribution for 2007-2015 is $734 million, with each full member receiving $55 million over this eight-year period and $184 million going to the associate members' pool.

Exclusive:It's raining money for ICC, fully exploits its commercial rights : Cricket, News - India Today

Cricket is recession-proof: ICC expects to make $1.58 billion from events by 2015 | Daily Mail Online

Now in the cycle upto 2023, with the Big Three, hosting the major events, because they already have the best infrastructure the costs are expected to be even lower (which means lesser reduction in distributed income on account of costs being high).

The proposal also states that ICC costs can be reduced, at a conservative level, "by 15-20%" and calls for a revisiting of the vastly different operational costs for events between 2000-07 ($220 million), and 2007-15 ($317 million).

Big three eye more share in ICC revenue pie | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Thus not only more revenue will be generated, it will be generated at a reduced cost.

Now how much more revenue will be generated? The revenue is expected to jump from the $1.5 billion to between a whopping $2.5 billion - $3 billion.

In the annual meeting ICC revealed that they are well in course to generate the record money in history of cricket yearly cycles with a total of $2.5 billion to $3 billion expected in next 8 years (2016-2013)
This will be highest ever revenue ICC has generated in any 8 year cycle.

ICC Cricket Revenue Sharing Model (What each board will get)

So a larger share of money will be generated at a reduced cost. So how will this new revenue be distributed -

BCCI’s Share (22.9 %) $586 million
England Board (ECB) Share (11.7%) $295 million
Australian Board (ACB) Share (5%) $130 million
Pakistan Boards (PCB) Share (3.82%) $97 million
South Africa Board (CSA) Share (3.75%) $96 million
West Indies Board (WICB) Share (3.18%) $81 million
New Zealand Board (NZC) Share (2.99%) $76 million
Sri Lanka Board (SLC) Share (3.18%) $81 million
Bangladesh Board (BCB) Share (2.67%) $68 million
Zimbabwe Board (ZCB) Share (2.54%) $65 million
Associate Members Share (9.75%) $211 million
ICC Share (30%) $760 million

ICC for its administrative work gets the max share. The Associate pool share will $211 million (up from $184 mil in the previous cycle), and all boards including Zimbabwe and B'desh, who dont make any real contribution to revenue generation will get atleast a 20% greater share than what they got in the previous cycle !! How is everyone getting more money bad for cricket.

Yes the distribution is not equal, but so what? Everyone still gets a substantial jump from what they would otherwise gotten or were previously getting. This is a distribution of wealth, and not distribution of poverty. I mean would you prefer that distribution be equal and ICC events are distributed among all, and thereby generate less revenue at higher cost, and ultimately WI keep getting $55 mil, or would you want WI to get more revenue.

Also what if the Big three control the revenue, the rules of the cricket are the same for everyone. Its not like when Ind faced SL right now, Indian bowlers had to dismiss SL batsmen once while SL bowlers had to dismiss Indian batsmen twice for them to be out. I mean the rules on the field are the same for everyone, everyone is getting atleast a near 20% hike on what they were previously getting, there is going to be the highest ever money going into the pool for associate development. All these positives, and all everyone can talk about is the distribution is not equal.

Yes its not, but everyone gets a lot more money this way, as a lot more money is being generated, so there is more money to go around with every board, even the non-contributors getting a 20% hike.

Also that is not all. There is also talk of a Test Fund -

ICC-big-three-pertinent-points.jpg

Now out of this test fund -

The fund is to be distributed among BCB, ZC, NZC, SLC, PCB and WICB, who will have to report utilisation annually to F&CA. As it is proposed, the sum will begin at a total of $30 million for a revenue level of $2.25 billion and be $90 million at a revenue level of $3.5 billion.

Big three eye more share in ICC revenue pie | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Notice this test fund will not be touched by BCCI, ECB or ACB. This is only for the other memebers. From this the members like SL, WI, etc. in addition to the revenue mentioned earlier could get atleast $30 mil more (potentially taking WICB share to $111 mil up from $55 mil in the previous cycle. The doubling of revenue WICB was talking about in the post I put up earlier).

Just imagine the money that each board now gets.

Even if we forget the test fund, lets put it aside, pretend it doesn't exist. Even without it, a min of 20% increase for Zim and B'desh, a 38% hike for NZ, and a 47% hike for WICB in revenue.

That is not peanuts. Everyone is getting in gets a substantially greater increase in the next cycle. Why do you think they got on to begin with. The only people having issues is those who can't tell between distribution of poverty and distribution of wealth.

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^
@PokerAce

Haha excuse me what, are you suggesting that a high profile cricket news publication like Wisden India is going allow a personal to write such an article and he does not know what he talking about? Plus also that the man who wrote the article being the former WICB president would not have a clear understanding of the inner working of the ICC more than fans than us that never went to a ICC meeting?

Have you even seen the death of a gentleman documentary or read any of the interviews they have found? Because what you mentioned here was already researched (argued on the pages of this thread before also) by the authors of movie and they shot down with the help of many high profile administrators the merits of the ICC new revenue cycle and the hosting of all international tournaments between now & 2023.

But I have no intention to argue this since the debate has long gone past that, I'm just posting articles at this stage let people be the judge - will just highlight two obvious flaws in article you posted:

You are showing india today & daily mail articles that were written in 203, before Big three was formed in 2014. Quoting an articles which highlights the champions trophy and new FTP format as something good, when one of the best critics of the ICC in its former president Ehsan Mani recently rubbished those two things.

Plus the test match fund currently doesn't exit, this is was told by a Sri Lanka media person only last week in reference to fact that SRI in hosting their upcoming non profitable series vs West Indies next month were seriously considering not playing in Galle - but instead will play in Galle but have to offset costs. So we already have early signs that the test match fund has issues in the non big-three territories:

Galle likely to host West Indies Test | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

I know death of gentleman has not been released outside of UK yet, so my advice to you is kindly watch that movie before you make any uniformed posts about ICC matters going forward.

PokerAce

Banned
@War

Look we have had debates on all kinds of things most of them descend into nonsense eventually. However essentially what you are saying is that the guy a former WICB President or whatever must know what he is talking about.

So are you saying that WICB is lying about the revenue doubling under the big three system?

By that exact logic, the WICB who say the Big Three will double their revenue are also going to know what they are saying. They seem happy with the fact that will get more (double) revenue under the big three.

Also I don't need to watch conspiracy theory videos, about ICC to and then call it 'informed opinion'.

The article I posted earlier clearly shows substantially increased revenues in the coming 8 year cycle for all nations under the big three from the previous 8 year cycle (even without the test fund). You want to ignore that article okay fine go ahead.

But are you actually so biased that you are even going to ignore the WICB going on record to say that under the 'big three' its revenue will double from the previous cycle.

You will ignore all this and keep harping about some conspiracy theory vid or the other, which is cleraly pushing an agenda !!

I am sure that if tomorrow ICC alleviated World Poverty or something, you will still find a way to be pi$$ed about it. If someone told you it was a good thing the ICC has done, you will say no and cite some vid as evidence of it all having been a covert ICC (led by BCCI ofcourse) plan to take control of the world or something.

I mean WICB says its revenues will double under the Big 3, and you want to ignore that !!

What can any sane person do about it?

Last edited:

PokerAce

Banned
@War

Okay would it help if you read what the cricket boards themselves have to say about the big three. I mean these are the very boards who you claim, along with your conspiracy theory documentary making friends are being duped under the 'big three' scheme. Would you for a change listen to the boards themselves and not the conspiracy theorists.

WICB -

“Based on new proposed system of ICC revenue sharing for the upcoming eight year cycle (2015-2023) WICB projects to receive at least 100% increase on the previous eight year cycle (2006-2014),” said the press release.

West Indies endorse change, say its revenue will double | The Indian Express

NZC -

“There was a lot of speculation in the media last week that we would get some crumbs from the big guys and just end up playing mainly the small guys,” he told New Zealand’s Radio LiveSport. “That’s not going to happen. We’ve locked in good commitments from Australia, England and India through that 10-year period (to 2023).” ... He said NZC was set to receive revenues of US$70-100 million from the ICC between 2015 and 2023 under the planned reforms, compared to the US$52 million it had received in the past eight years. “Things have come a long way from where they started,” he said. “Where they’re sitting right now, they’re looking pretty good for us.”

New Zealand Cricket board member Martin Snedden says India, England, Australia ICC proposal 'looking pretty good for us' | The National

PCB (PCB was the biggest opposer to the Big 3 takeover, and by the end seemed over the fking moon with the settlement) -
“It’s a major achievement for the PCB as the ICC agreed on Thursday to grant Pakistan the fourth rank after the ‘Big Three’ in terms of the percentage of revenue to be received in the next eight years from broadcasting and other rights on ICC fixtures,” ... “I am positive that in the times to come, Pakistan cricket shall benefit greatly from what the PCB has been able to obtain today [Thursday].”

PCB clearly delighted with the revenue (4th largest) it will be getting under the Big Three.

Pakistan receives major share of ‘Big Three’ spoils - The Express Tribune

SLC -
“We need to understand the importance of having tours with India, England and Australia,” adding that Sri Lanka stood to make $60 million from bilateral tours in the next seven years ... When you calculate, a series with these three countries will bring us a revenue of $47-48m.

Sri Lanka also very happy with the share of money it will get from three tours alone, let alone the rest of the tours it will have over the 8 years.

Sri Lanka finally agree to India-led ICC revamp plans, how long will Pakistan remain isolated? - Cricket News

Look every board is happy with the new increased revenue and matches with the big three they will get in the new big three system. Do you think they are all idiots, who were duped and dont know it. We are talking about the actual boards here, not conspiracy theory documentary makers.

All the boards outside of the big three, who are being presented as naive idiots being duped of millions by the BCCI and big three, are delighted with the new extra revenues. Do you really think that all these boards are idiots, being duped without their knowledge? Do you really believe that these boards complete with their army of lawyers and financial experts who worked out the big three agreement, are all a bunch of morons being swindled out of millions? Do you really think that these boards are run by a bunch of 10 yr olds who cannot understand the difference between less revenue and more revenue?

And to top it all off, Do you really think that a bunch of people who made some stupid vid about the evils of big three are more informed and more aware of what is happening than the actual boards?

Once and for all, as those statements clearly show, every board outside the big 3 is delighted with the extra revenue and extra games with the big three that this new system will bring. If they are delighted with the system, then I am delighted with the system. If all the boards say they are going to get extra money, then I believe them, and I am happy for them.

These boards are not all fking idiots who are happily getting duped. Why cant you wrap your head around this, instead going on and on about the big three this and the big three that. I mean if nothing else just listen to the boards themselves who are all happy.

Now I think I know what you will do ... you will ignore all these official statements by the boards telling you the the big three is bringing them lots of extra revenue. Then you will post some article by a janitor who used to work at NZC, who got fired, because he knew too much, and how in the article he is telling the 'actual truth' about the big 3, and how its all evil and what not.

I mean come on man ... just listen to the boards, they are not idiots you know, and all of them happen to be delighted about the big 3 move. Just read this post, thats all the evidence you need to have.

Last edited:

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't seem to get the jist of your argument: you seem to be suggesting that the television revenues wouldn't have risen unless these reforms were passed which is quite clearly wrong. TV rights revenue always increases even if the fanbase of a sport is stable - especially in cricket where the largest nation in which it is played is still a country developing and thus over time we should expect much larger increases than you would in the UK or Australia. The remark that "every cricket board benefitted from these changes" is ludicrously wrong. I'm going to use my home cricket board in this because its the fair thing to do. Its even worse for smaller nations: since the vast majority of ICC funding cuts won't be felt by the larger associates and affiliates but by the very small boards who're having their ICC grants decimated and any prospects that they have on ways to get development funds from their governments (through a certain multi-sport quadannual competition held in a different country each time including a large amount on non-cricket nations). The promises of "more games" for smaller nations is also quite frankly a joke: in the two years that Nepal had T20 status they played precisely zero T20Is against a full member side - and we seem to be seeing the ECBs promises to Ireland and Scotland for an ODI in each alternating each year slowly evaporate since apparently England can't be arsed to play one single game against Scotland next year. To look at full members for a second: you can't examine the "more games!" promise yet because you don't have a long-term perspective: we're still in the middle of series that were promised as bribes in order to pass thing thing, and we've already seen the "postponement" of the India/Pakistan one that was promised... If in five years there are more games involving the Middle 7 then I'd be willing to concede the point: but I'm very doubtful.

You're also ignoring the real harm that the structure of the ICC (including before these reforms and really back to around about 2007 when the ICCs opinion on associate nations changed) and its funding does to the development of the game. Centralising wealth in three large boards and limiting the amount of money given to smaller nations will only lead to a contraction of the game, which in the long-term will lead to the amount of interest, and thus money, in the game falling away over time. Funding of cricket in non-full member countries has reduced under this scheme, with is ridiculous because the people that need that money the most are the countries that are developing the game. There are examples of other sports that have support and this funding concentrated in one place that have developed significantly in recent years, I'm just saying that we should copy from them.

I'll use Rugby Union as an example in that it is a similar type of sport to cricket: a sport with a eight traditionally dominant nations (Wales, England, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, France, Australia and South Africa), two newer nations that are now ahead of some of those and can challenge the best in the world on their day (Argentina and Italy) and a large number of other countries where the game is played but isn't yet a mass sport, although it is growing very large in some odd places like Japan. Sound familiar? There's a World Cup in England starting next week, in which World Rugby are going to make a tonne of money from World TV rights (I can't find any firm numbers, but I'd imagine that they'd be similar to the numbers you'd get from the Cricket World Cup). Unlike the ICC they aren't using the thing as an excuse to give a load more money to the bigger associations, but instead the profits from it will be used in order to encourage further development in some big markets in which they already have a presence - they are pointing at the US (a few years ago they got around 20,000 people to go and see them play the equivalent to the New Zealand A team play the US, and they're starting to get a strong grass-roots presence within American Colleges which is key for future development of any American sport), Germany and Brazil in the short term. They've also managed to include Rugby 7s (a quicker version of Rugby using only half the players that allows you to get loads of games done in one day - I went to one day at the Commonwealth Games last year and saw about ten games) in the olympics, which has dramatically increased the funding that nations that are developing Rugby from their Central governments while also dramatically increasing participation - according to the Financial Times, participation has literally doubled since 2009. The 2019 World Cup will be held in Japan in order to encourage development of the game - an equivalent would be the Cricket World Cup being held in Ireland, the Netherlands and Scotland or something like that. This strategy has clearly worked: what with the above participation stats helping to make Rugby Union the fastest growing team sport in the world at the moment. Why can't World Cricket do something like that and allow wealth in the game to trickle down rather than keep it centralised at the top - it'll lead to a stronger game and in the long term the possible for much greater revenues, especially if they manage to crack somewhere like China which isn't possible if the Olympics aren't there.

I do think that some people are underestimating the level of power imbalances within the ICC and making assumptions that before these reforms the ICC was perfect before the reforms which quite frankly is a load of shit. Among the spokespeople for the Change Cricket campaign are Michael "The World Cup should be ten nations to make it quicker" Holding and Ian "Zimbabwe and Bangladesh shouldn't play Test Cricket" Chappell, and those statements aren't arguing for the sort of reforms within the ICC that I think we need since they still want to exclude large parts of the World from the game. There seems to be a misconception that the ICC pre these reforms was some great organisation that was allowing the world development of cricket and, frankly, it wasn't. Centralising yet more power in the hands of three nations is bad and a big step backwards, but before that you still had power centralised in the ten Full Members with the vast majority of ICC members not being allowed any voice in the decisions of the organisation - many of which dramatically changed the prospects for growth such as making the World T20 and the World Cup ten-team tournaments (the latter technically isn't, but de facto it just is), and providing absolutely no pathway to full membership. Cricket, before and after these changes, was being run more like a gentlemens club for the top countries rather than as an international sports body determined to develop the game: the only thing that changed are the numbers of people allowed at the table.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Anyone who argues that the ICC reforms have been a good thing is either not paying attention, or is wilfully misrepresenting the facts.

For the Big Three nations, it is a superb agreement (obviously) as they get all the power and all the money. Once they've got the English Premier League pushed through to go alongside the BBL and IPL, then you can expect windows to form in the international calendar where these teams don't really fancy playing because they've got their Premier Leagues on. It won't matter if the PSL, CPL, BPL, or any other two-letter-combination-L runs, because it will always be in the shadows behind one of those three tournaments or a new-style Champions League that can fill in the gaps.

The Little Seven get the rough end of the deal because they are forever beholden to the whims of the Big Three. For example, the South Africa-India tour a while back. India rocked up in SA and said "Ohai, btw we're not gonna play all those games, don't fancy boxing day, k thx bye x" and it was all okay. Haroon Lorgat reversed swiftly from the public eye, South Africa kept sending players to the IPL the world kept turning. The West Indies go to India, don't fancy playing ODIs they're not being paid for, and rather than stepping in and paying their players for them, the BCCI decides it quite likes the idea of erasing Windies cricket forever. They haven't decided yet, but they could press that button at any time.

The Non-Existent 100-odd don't get any end of the stick, because it's all been taken away. Ireland were told that they had new goalposts to aim for if they wanted to play Test cricket (further away than the old ones), a Qualifier was onto the front of a less-regular 10-team (officially 16-teams but who really believes that?) WT20, pushed through a 10-team World Cup and told the Associate nations to lump it or go home. The Affiliates, meanwhile, don't even have tournaments to play in any more, and the game is dying, sometimes dead already, as entire boards try to function on a budget that's less than Srikar Bharat's IPL salary.

I could keep going, keep making points, keep saying why this is corrupt and short-sighted and selfish and wrong in every conceivable way, but I need to go to sleep. Good night.

Reactions: War

Users who are viewing this thread