India Team Discussion

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Has there been a bigger lie than that? It may not be on paper but does the BCCI want us to believe that the broadcaster will resist even a gentle nudge from the board when it comes to choosing commentators?

This is a small lie in a huge huge pool of lies! I'll tell you what's my issue- Fans like us, in general on this forum, support the BCCI for a lot of things and give them their due. But do we ever get ours?

1) We don't get the best tech during broadcast. Hotspot has been around for ages now and while our board can afford the technology as pocket change, it's nowhere to be seen. This is not about the use of 'DRS.' We can still avail the tech for a better viewing experience.

2) Not only are the commentators like children reciting a mugged essay in school, but the quality is also seriously poor. I'm all for old school and if you're good then you can be heard even after 3-4 decades. Lawry and late great Benaud are examples. We get Shastri and Gavaskar who are basically puppets of the board and keep reciting the same crap. Gavaskar in particular is way out of his depth and talks out of his ass. Ultimately, we pay a premium for a shit product.

3) I've been to matches at the Eden Gardens. As beautiful as everything is on the ground, that's where it stops. The public are treated like 'shudras' and if you happen to watch a game of cricket in England or Australia, you feel cheated all of a sudden.

4) The umpiring is AWFUL. Honestly, IPL's standard of cricket is incredibly high but the results can be an absolute lottery because of the howlers from poor, shit umpires.

5) Most importantly, the general public is completely devoid of transparency. Our interactions with the players and insights into their lives while giving them their space is SHIT. I don't think you'll find one fan who can get an autograph from a player in the stadium. We are fed a narrative in the name of player interaction and media interviews. It all seems very rehearsed and doctored.

As proud as I am to be Indian and as fantastic a job as the BCCI has done to fill our coffers, the public is NOBODY in our sport.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
This is a small lie in a huge huge pool of lies! I'll tell you what's my issue- Fans like us, in general on this forum, support the BCCI for a lot of things and give them their due. But do we ever get ours?

1) We don't get the best tech during broadcast. Hotspot has been around for ages now and while our board can afford the technology as pocket change, it's nowhere to be seen. This is not about the use of 'DRS.' We can still avail the tech for a better viewing experience.

2) Not only are the commentators like children reciting a mugged essay in school, but the quality is also seriously poor. I'm all for old school and if you're good then you can be heard even after 3-4 decades. Lawry and late great Benaud are examples. We get Shastri and Gavaskar who are basically puppets of the board and keep reciting the same crap. Gavaskar in particular is way out of his depth and talks out of his ass. Ultimately, we pay a premium for a shit product.

3) I've been to matches at the Eden Gardens. As beautiful as everything is on the ground, that's where it stops. The public are treated like 'shudras' and if you happen to watch a game of cricket in England or Australia, you feel cheated all of a sudden.

4) The umpiring is AWFUL. Honestly, IPL's standard of cricket is incredibly high but the results can be an absolute lottery because of the howlers from poor, shit umpires.

5) Most importantly, the general public is completely devoid of transparency. Our interactions with the players and insights into their lives while giving them their space is SHIT. I don't think you'll find one fan who can get an autograph from a player in the stadium. We are fed a narrative in the name of player interaction and media interviews. It all seems very rehearsed and doctored.

As proud as I am to be Indian and as fantastic a job as the BCCI has done to fill our coffers, the public is NOBODY in our sport.
The last sentence is true for all the Asian countries

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The public are treated like 'shudras' and if you happen to watch a game of cricket in England or Australia, you feel cheated all of a sudden.
Completely agree with this. The treatment meted out to the spectators is abysmal. Not only are the seating arrangements managed in the worst possible way, you also have to put up with jacked up food/water prices.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
The last sentence is true for all the Asian countries

You know the reason why? The administrators in the subcontinent have taken the cricket fan for granted, and a lot of it has to do with cricket being the only competitive sport in these countries. Its the monopoly of cricket in the sports market.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
You know the reason why? The administrators in the subcontinent have taken the cricket fan for granted, and a lot of it has to do with cricket being the only competitive sport in these countries. Its the monopoly of cricket in the sports market.
The decline of hockey in Pakistan hasn't helped. Now hopefully football will break this monopoly.

S

Satan666

Couldnt agree more, some obscenities but true they treat the common folk as garbage.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Someone needs to give me a monumental reason as to why A Rahane is part of the CT squad while 5 other chaps aren't. 2 hundreds in ODI's in about 70 games, a SR that's just about acceptable 15 years back and no bowling contributions. Is he in red hot form? NO!! Why is he going to England?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
My two cents of the Kumble-Kohli supposed rift - manufactured by the BCCI to get back at Kumble, who is supposedly thought to be working implicitly against the BCCI. He has been fighting with the BCCI for the hike in wages for all Indian cricketers (international and domestic). Also Kumble communicates directly with the CoA, which seems to be irking BCCI. And also Kumble has at times commented about how "the BCCI should use its power responsibly" and all. All this is leading to the BCCI wanting to dispose off Kumble, and somehow they have gotten Kohli on their side. I expect Kohli to comment about this issue once the tournament is over. I want to see what he says.

Reportedly Sehwag has applied for the job. Would be a bad idea to give him the job. Way too early for him to be coaching India. I would rather give it to Dravid now. But I am actually hoping someone like Stephen Fleming applies and if he does, he is given the job. He has been an excellent coach across multiple IPL's and he is another back-room guy who lets the captain lead. Kumble is also one such person. Its internal politics that seems to be gunning for him. If not Fleming, then I would go for Tom Moody, who has had a great time with Sunrisers Hyderabad and before that with Sri Lanka. I am not actually keen on the likes of Dravid and Sehwag to hold coaching reins yet. They need to blossom into more mature coaches. For e.g. Dravid had a bad time with Delhi Daredevils and was experimenting way too much. Even coaching jobs need maturing where the coach needs to mature into the role. My top picks - Stephen Fleming (if he applies) and Tom Moody. Not wrong to have a foreign coach once in a while.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Giving the job to Sehwag would be a joke. The guy has ZERO coaching experience. Hasn't even coached a domestic team or an IPL team. "Mentoring" is not the same as being a full time coach.

I hope good sense will prevail.

I don't know how much of the Kohli-Kumble rift is true. But it will be disappointing to see Jumbo leave as the coach, especially when we have done well under him. Hope the rift is all made up and he can be retained.

Users who are viewing this thread