Problem: Is batting just guess work?

cpt crash

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I am playing on rookie level but I am finding it impossible to play the correct shot to each ball. I have played practice matches where the ball is slowed down but this doesn't teach you anything because when you get to a real match its at full speed. By the time I have picked up the line and length of the ball its way too late to play a shot, so I just find myself just picking a shot to play at random and hoping I don't end up playing a hook shot to a Yorker.

It doesn't help that I am red/green colour blind but to be honest I still don't think I'd have a hope of playing the right shot. If I had reflexes fast enough to react to the time you get, I would have been an actual International batsman!

Any tips?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Big Ant have mentioned that one of the things being considered for the next patch to the game is to add a ball speed slider - so that you could slow it down to a point where you can pick it up. But that doesn't really help you now.

On Rookie/Amateur you only need to worry about the right stick - the game chooses footwork for you, which should avoid the problem of playing totally wrong shots - and let you focus on line and where the fielders are rather than length.

Last edited:

Krokenoster

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Big Ant have mentioned that one of the things being considered for the next patch to the game is to add a ball speed slider - so that you could slow it down to a point where you can pick it up. But that doesn't really help you now.

On Rookie/Amateur you only need to worry about the RIGHT stick - the game chooses footwork for you, which should avoid the problem of playing totally wrong shots - and let you focus on line and where the fielders are rather than length.

Perhaps ? lol

cpt crash

Club Cricketer
Thanks Matt. So I only need to get front or back foot right? Or do I need to play the shot right? Ie, do I need to get the Left Analogue Stick correct or the Right Analogue Stick correct?

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thanks Matt. So I only need to get front or back foot right? Or do I need to play the shot right? Ie, do I need to get the Left Analogue Stick correct or the Right Analogue Stick correct?

You can ignore the left stick since AI will choose the right foot to play the shot automatically on Rookie and Amateur. You only need to worry about placing the ball in the right direction using the right (shot) stick.

Believe

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I agree that starting out on probably amateur is the best way to go. I had a lot of trouble learning how to bat also, but I found that for starts, just pick up the length. Look for the red/green/yellow, and play the shot according to that. Sure you'll miss a few, and still play the odd terrible shot, but it helps your brain remember. For example, when it's short, you either hook/pull, or cut it. Once your brain recognises that, you'll only ever play those shots. Then once you think you're comfortable picking up length, and it becomes slightly automatic, you can work on seeing the line aswell. That probably seems confusing, but it helped me learn how to bat. I'm at the stage now where the only bowlers that consistently trouble me are international fast bowlers. (Johnson, Morkel etc..)

The_Pharoah

International Coach
Question: Is batting just guess work?

Answer: for the No 9, 10 and 11 batsmen...yes. For the No 1-8 batsmen...no.

Batting is about patience. Yes its difficult, but once you realise you CAN train your brain to control LS and RS, it'll come much easier.

cpt crash

Club Cricketer
The more I play this game the more I come to the conclusion that its is purely guess work. Even on the very easiest setting, if you wait to see what line the ball is going to take its waaaaay too late to play the shot.

The only method that I can find is to predetermine your shot and hope that the ball is bowled there. It means you look a bit stupid playing a forward defensive to a bouncer but its all I can find that works and I have spent hours at this now. Such a shame as its the most customisable game I have ever played and looks really awesome, I'd love to actually be able to play it.

Elvo69

School Cricketer
I agree to an extent that it's guess work but only for bowlers above 130kmph. Medium and spinners give u enough time to place shots. The quicks only give u a fraction of a second so yes it's hard, but I'm getting there.

Reactions: Pat

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
IMO, playing online goes a long way to help with shot selection... I don't necessarily think it's guesswork, certainly is when you first start out but you get used to the pace of things after playing for months and months, even returning to the game after a hiatus now and then, you kinda just pick it straight back up again and I find I'm placing shots nicely. Certainly online against a human opponent makes a lot of difference, because they're changing fields and trying to trap you, etc.

D

Deleted member 9102

You have to be really focused when facing the fast bowlers, I still struggle and do predetermine quite a few shots, but when I'm in the right mindset I can pick up the line and length in time without having to predetermine.

The main thing you need to do is to train your brain to associate the controller inputs with the specific shots. You don't want to be having to think about which buttons need pressing while the ball is on it's way, you need it to be an almost instinctive reaction. This comes with the hours of practice you put in.

I do find it to be more difficult than in real life though because you don't get as many visual cues in the game (bowler's grip, release point etc.) and you are looking at a 2D image rather than having the benefits of a real 3D situation like spatial awareness/perspective and reflex reactions.

Last edited by a moderator:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My advice is play a small tournament against a few teams that you first modify in CA and bring their bowlers arm speed attribute down a bit and/or switch fast bowlers to med-fast. It'll help you get used to picking the line quicker. It's more difficult to respond to length though but not impossible.

Accept also you'll have form; one day you'll see things early and play fine, other days you won't. I like that in a game.

D

Deleted member 9102

Accept also you'll have form; one day you'll see things early and play fine, other days you won't. I like that in a game.
Totally agree with this... Playing the game when tired or preoccupied also leads to bad play from my experience. When I play DBC I need to set aside an hour or two where I can focus on it 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread