Leave Scoop Sweep

Should leave button be reconfigured

• Total voters

grkrama

National Board President
One of the main stays of test cricket is being able to judge the ball on and outside off stump channel and playing or leaving it accordingly. It what gives you that sense of control in a test match. Being able to pick deliveries to go after.

This part has not been implemented so well DBC or more than implemented its not at all accessible in even the least sense.

NO way will we be able to move our thumb from RS to A or Hard press R3. Add to that having to move LS accordingly for various types of leave.

When playing test cricket its a much more essential shot than sweep/scoop.Apart from Sweeps which is semi useful against spinners doesn't deserve a whole new button, especially scoop shot does absolutely nothing even semi effective.

So i decided to swap LB with A using x360ce . It felt a lot more natural to Leave had my fingers rested on LB and pressing RT, so i defended those on stump left one going out and drove some.

The results i got were pretty good for an early try.

[sorry for the vid quality and stutter raptr encoding messed up]

2015-04-26_00024.jpg

As you can see this integrates better with test gameplay and gives you a better feel of being in control of match and your game.

The thing with leave is its not just a cosmetic thing [ as in earlier cricket games] but should be approached and treated as something that needs to be integrated as part of gameplay largely.

One of the issues as seen in above vid is same leave plays for all shots because im resting on front foot, most of us do this in DBC and rock back to back foot only when we pick Short balls early or against spinners.

SO ideally Leave should be one of the shoulder button [input should be required for leave other wise the timing of it may vary for different people and re] also the choice of leave should be automatic without requiring to input LS in specified directions, for a short ball sway or duck etc.

right now scoops are totally invalid in the game., sweeps or good for rotating strike agaisnt spin at best and have no boundary value.

So it would be great if SWEEP can be assigned to RB - LB combo and LB given for leave with automatic leave animations, will make the batting feel a lot closer and to real life. Also R3 should be dummied or should trigger defense.

A good leave control adds a lot of layers to the batting gameplay.

Would be great if it can be considered for patch 3, if not definitely worth looking in to for next iteration.

@BigAntStudios @fiction @HBK619

Last edited:

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I'll start by saying major control changes at this point should be done through sets of alternate control schemes, not changing the default on people who have spent over a year getting used to them. The R3 leave is an exception to the rule - because of the huge amount of unintentional use.

Sweeps are essential against spin and shouldn't be diverted to a more complex button press. I'd just make the triggers act in combination, so you can do lofted/aggressive/defensive sweeps - the solution is to make sweeps more varied, not harder to do. I certainly sweep far more than I deliberately leave.

The scoop shot seems to have been neutered in one of the patches - I certainly remember being able to pull them off far more effectively in the past. Perhaps they really tightened up the timing window at some point. There is however a duplication of shots there - both up and down with the right stick do a scoop shot. Perhaps up could be a good spot to put the slog sweep - assuming it's possible with the animations included in the game (I'd prefer it existing over looking nice).

Obviously options are great, you should have that control scheme as an option, but I strongly disagree with making sweeping a non-primary shot like that.

grkrama

National Board President
I'll start by saying major control changes at this point should be done through sets of alternate control schemes, not changing the default on people who have spent over a year getting used to them. The R3 leave is an exception to the rule - because of the huge amount of unintentional use.

ya i certainly agree with that should certainly be given as an alternate control option if at all for this iteration.

Sweeps are essential against spin and shouldn't be diverted to a more complex button press. I'd just make the triggers act in combination, so you can do lofted/aggressive/defensive sweeps - the solution is to make sweeps more varied, not harder to do. I certainly sweep far more than I deliberately leave.

ya sweeps are essential but the way they have been implemented, i mainly use them to change fields. The lack of variation in sweeps does take the enjoyment out of it.

i would also suggest sweep to be a quarter /half anti clockwise rotation on RS and clockwise for reverse sweep, with triggers adding slog or attacking to it. Since it is against spin should have the time to do it. this certainly cant be done for this iteration.

Alternate control schemes would be the way to go for this iteration and if the option is present in in-game menu then we should be able to switch it for spin/pace.

The scoop shot seems to have been neutered in one of the patches - I certainly remember being able to pull them off far more effectively in the past. Perhaps they really tightened up the timing window at some point. There is however a duplication of shots there - both up and down with the right stick do a scoop shot. Perhaps up could be a good spot to put the slog sweep - assuming it's possible with the animations included in the game (I'd prefer it existing over looking nice).

ya i have seen them being played in old console vids it think, but of now even in rookie they go nowhere at best work like a legflick. Slog sweep would definitely be nice.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Slog sweep as I have said before as well they can add by combo of L1 and L2 and for the animation, the current existing sweep animation itself looks great..They can just increase the motion speed of the animation and value the distance it should travel based on the timing and foot work...

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
@grkrama There are so many leaves which could have edged to the keeper or some other fielder nearby, so it should most probably be a one trigger shot where the game AI or the animation setup should recognize where the ball is going and play that leave animation...

Leave animations should be more like Cook's leave it would look really good in the game and would become an important role in test matches and in some ODI's as well...

They should be adding the Watson's back foot low pull shot [slog as well] against spinners for ball very short...

Pat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In my opinion, the ideal way to implement leaves would be by separating feet movement (Left Stick) and shot placement (Right stick). Left stick should allow me to move my players feet, but if I don't use the right stick, it would just result in a leave. Right now, the feet move only when you use the right stick, so perhaps that can be changed.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I think Chief - who is probably in a good position to know - gave a very logical reason for dismissing 'just do nothing = leave' as a valid option:
The problem we always had (which I'm guessing would also apply here) is that by the time no input is possible (IE no input = leave) there is not enough time to play an animation. So a "leave" HAS to be indicated by the player, otherwise it's usually not an option.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I think maybe we can take this topic forward for the next iteration which is likely to have an early access that would make it a lot easier to find a way out...

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
As I've stated previously I think by far the best option is the right shoulder button. Pressed with the RHS engaged would be block as it currently is, while pressed without engaging the RHS would be leave. It's simple, would feel as natural as playing a block and wouldn't require having to re-map other shots.

I imagine this would not be too difficult for Big Ant to reconfigure and wouldn't be a major control change for the user.

I would also like to see the animation's changed for future editions as the current ones appear slightly cumbersome in my opinion.

grkrama

National Board President
There are so many leaves which could have edged to the keeper or some other fielder nearby, so it should most probably be a one trigger shot where the game AI or the animation setup should recognize where the ball is going and play that leave animation...

had quite a few of them when i was trying out at first till i got it right, ya leave animation should be chosen by the game according to delivery, user should just trigger it with the button.

the last one is the best leave i have had :D

As I've stated previously I think by far the best option is the right shoulder button. Pressed with the RHS engaged would be block as it currently is, while pressed without engaging the RHS would be leave. It's simple, would feel as natural as playing a block and wouldn't require having to re-map other shots.

The only problem there is that for ex : how i play is i have the Defense trigger pressed all times and depress it if i want to play a drive, so if we assign leave to that it will leave the moment i move left stick. That's why i feel it needs a different button than defense or attack trigger.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
had quite a few of them when i was trying out at first till i got it right, ya leave animation should be chosen by the game according to delivery, user should just trigger it with the button.

the last one is the best leave i have had :D
The last one was the best one, that's the reason this is the best game...

Another thing that really needs appreciation is the way the ball travels to the boundary having those odd bounces off the grass, very very realistic..

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
There are many stuffs in the game which AI can do but we cant...Like yesterday in career mode Smith hit a backfoot punch which went raising away for a boundary, when I try that then he plays the full swing shots only...Another one is I saw a reverse sweep go for a boundary by AI but never happened to me till now [not a big fan of reverse sweep though...Another one is well know advanced down the wicket ground shots...

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
I would personally love it to be RT with no shot input. As RT is already the block input it makes logical sense to have the leave part of the defensive mechanism while batting

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
The only problem there is that for ex : how i play is i have the Defense trigger pressed all times and depress it if i want to play a drive, so if we assign leave to that it will leave the moment i move left stick. That's why i feel it needs a different button than defense or attack trigger.

You're never going to please everyone though. To me this seems the most logical for the reasons I have stated. I imagine most people currently play as I do with their finger hovering over the defense trigger to anticipate having to block or to play an aggressive grounded shot.

The video you have just posted show's perfectly why the leave animations need to be changed as they leave the bat hanging out too much as opposed to playing inside the line of the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread