People that inspire you

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
At my school right now there is a competition to find photographs of people that inspire you and hand them in to be put up on a notice board with the best notice board winning.

I think the people that inspire you bit is a good idea and maybe you could post the same here. For me, I admire Matthew Hoggard for not showboating and just getting on with his passion. If I became a cricketer I would do the same, I wouldn't have sports cars or celebrity girlfriends and I would stay out of the media light as well. The way he does that inspires me.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hoggys one of my favourite sportsmen as well. His down-to-earth personality and hard working yorkshire grit, coupled with a good sense of humour means he is the sort of person that I think most people can easily identify with.

I'm not really sure if any sportspersons inspire me as such, or indeed anyone at all, but I guess I do have a lot of respect for anyone that will stick to their guns in the face of adversity like a Mandela or Luther.

Actually sod all that, Sir Chicken Digby Caesar, how could he not inspire you?

voldemort

International Coach
for me its hitler, :p , his ability at converting a WW1 loser Germany into a height of power really inspired me. Although he lost the WWII because his intentions were not right, but whose intention was right? but then he never lost, he never surrendered.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
@ skateboarder - for a small fee I might consider letting you use a picture of me :p

I actually meet a lot of truely inspirational people through my work with kids and in the voluntary sector. Can't think of any big names that have inspired me although Jonty Rhodes was always my cricketing hero when I was growing up.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
skateboarder said:
I would stay out of the media light as well. The way he does that inspires me.

In case you don't know, it really isn't that difficult to acheive, but a lot of sportsmen are basically, for want of a better word, morons. They are badly advised, or depending on how you look at it well advised, that making their name as high profile as possible is the best way to sustain their income.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
As of late I'd would say Michael Hussey. The guy has played years of first-class cricket and finally got his chance in the Australian team. Now he is in the team and making the most of it by scoring plenty of runs, plus the guy stays out of the media and just gets his job done.

He has really inspired me with my cricket and that is just to enjoy it.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
As far as sporting inspirations go, then i'd give it to Glen McGrath. Never gifted with extreme pace in this day and age of fast bowlers but he never let it stop him and quickly became, in my opinion, the best fast bowler ever.

Away from the sporting field, i'd give it to Kev. :p

JamesyJames3

International Coach
puddleduck said:
In case you don't know, it really isn't that difficult to acheive, but a lot of sportsmen are basically, for want of a better word, morons. They are badly advised, or depending on how you look at it well advised, that making their name as high profile as possible is the best way to sustain their income.

Well, you say its not too difficult to stay out of the media spot light but I somewhat disagree.

Even if they don't do anything to get negative press, the paps will do anything and actually find it quite easy to get a photo of someone in their personal life. Then tabloids can often draw up something just from a picture!

I see what you're saying though. Most that do get negative press deserve it for their bigheaded actions of celebriatism (is that a word?).

People that inspire me, difficult. I would say in footballing terms when I was younger it was Denis Irwin, he just played it simple, did everything that was required of him and had a fantastic free-kick. Which probably led to me practising free-kicks for hours and scoring many times from them in youth football.

Cricket, well that is difficult, I would probably go for a combination of Jonty Rhodes and Shane Warne.

In life in general, a lot of my friends have actually been very inspirational. Especially since coming to uni.

tassietiger

International Cricketer
voldemort said:
for me its hitler, :p , his ability at converting a WW1 loser Germany into a height of power really inspired me. Although he lost the WWII because his intentions were not right, but whose intention was right? but then he never lost, he never surrendered.
It's often overlooked how successful he was. Very possibly he was a madman and should never have been allowed as much power as he had, but you can't deny that he was a successful leader.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
JamesyJames3 said:
Even if they don't do anything to get negative press, the paps will do anything and actually find it quite easy to get a photo of someone in their personal life. Then tabloids can often draw up something just from a picture!

I see what you're saying though. Most that do get negative press deserve it for their bigheaded actions of celebriatism (is that a word?).

Without going too far off topic, that is basically what I was saying. The people that go looking for publicity will find that publicity comes looking for them when they don't necessarily want it, but at the same time there are plenty of people who shy away from the tabloid lifestyle and are never seen plastered across the front page of the Sun. Take someone like Ledley King or Michael Dawson (there are plenty of other examples) you don't see them in the news every day, as they lead sensible lifes.

It's not necessarily easy as you do have to live a different lifestyle to an extent, but if you try and take advantage of your fame, then you are asking trouble as people will try to do likewise.

tassietiger said:
It's often overlooked how successful he was. Very possibly he was a madman and should never have been allowed as much power as he had, but you can't deny that he was a successful leader.

Really depends on how you define success. Do you say well in the first 4 years of his "reign" he was extremely successful. Or do you take into account the fact that he ended up killing himself, millions of innocent people, destroying the German image and economy, breaking every treaty signed after the first world war and killing himself with his country about to lose a war he started?

I suppose by those standards, even David Pleat was successful :p

Sureshot

Executive member
barmyarmy said:
@ skateboarder - for a small fee I might consider letting you use a picture of me :p

I actually meet a lot of truely inspirational people through my work with kids and in the voluntary sector. Can't think of any big names that have inspired me although Jonty Rhodes was always my cricketing hero when I was growing up.

Not WG Grace? ;)

In what way was Hitler succesful?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Napolean - Conqured the country he hated and the people he originally loathed. By sheer hard work in face of adversary. True, once he was exiled from Corsica because they though he had become a true Frenchman and when the revolution came he called himself a genuine Frenchman and changed his name from Napoleane Buonoparte to Napolean Bonaparte, but all his dedication, hard work, courage and edurance in times of downfall, great man.

Sporting wise, too tough to really chose. I mean, I heard of this one guy, who broke his right arm and shifted to bowling left, but forgot his name. He would probably be it, didn't let anything get in his way. The Don, Chandersaker, Learie
Constantine, and a few more olden aged cricketers I've heard and read about but whom's names I can't remember.

sid_19840

International Coach
Ive had 3 major sporting personalities all during my era that inspire me,them being Sachin Tendulkar,Lance Armstrong and Steven Gerrard.Im someone who doesnt get inspired by people whom I simply hear of or read about,reasons of which Im not sure about.

Users who are viewing this thread