Premeditate FOOTWORK... Does it help or hinder?

Footwork?

• Total voters

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just wondering how many people out there premeditate there footwork while batting? and how many are actually coordinated enough to not have to?

I'll be honest I premeditate my footwork all the time, but I like to think I do have a strategy in place for each type of bowler and different conditions..(also I like to play in veteran or legend difficulty)

Here it is (*disclaimer. Don't blame me if your average plummets!)

Fast - 145km+: Back foot
Fast med: front foot
Med fast: front foot
Med: front foot
Spin: front foot

Also if im playing in conditions that are bouncy ie; aus, saf. I'll generally play backfoot to fast, fast med, med fast bowlers and play front foot to med, and spin bowlers.

So other than being knicked off quite a lot and some inconsistent performances from time to time, I've found this theory to give me a lot more time to just focus on the actual line of the delivery, play a shot where it should be played, and also more time to focus purely on the timing of the shot...

Anyway I'd be interested to hear about people opinions on what works for them while batting, I've tried not premeditating footwork but can't say I have the coordination or that I've got the results I'd like lol.

In my absolute honest opinion batting is way too hard for the casual player and it needs some sort of simplifying (*but definitely not premeditated length ball markers, ie; ball glowing certain colour to indicate length during bowlers run up. Which has been suggested before)

Last edited:
D

Dutch

Do you have the ball marker on? The coloured circle? I play with it off and have more time to play on merit; I can play most shots by concentrating on the ball leaving the bowlers hand and judging the line and length from there. The circle just gives one more thing to think about in the split second you need to make a judgement and therefore is a hinderance rather than a help imo.

Perhaps a gameplay speed slider could help those getting to terms with the game....

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I have the ball trail off, and I think the length indicator is off, so its just a red ring around the ball.

What do you do for footwork @Dutch purely reaction?

Yeah sliders may help...although I wouldn't want it to affect the actual speed of the ball because I like facing the fast bowlers, its challenging

D

Dutch

I have the ball trail off, and I think the length indicator is off, so its just a red ring around the ball.

What do you do for footwork @Dutch purely reaction?

Yeah sliders may help...although I wouldn't want it to affect the actual speed of the ball because I like facing the fast bowlers, its challenging
I have all indicators off and decide whether to go back or forward or do nothing depending on the delivery; and get it wrong sometimes, just like cricket. So the only thing I see is the ball leaving the bowlers hand. Also try sitting slightly to one side of the batsman, so that your point of view is more in line of the ball coming towards you...

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I premeditate always. As default, I will go front foot and play. But if I find that the bowler is bowling a short ball, then I will have enough time to switch to back foot and play my shot. Otherwise, it's always front foot for me. I know this is not the ideal way, but I find it really difficult to choose the footwork after the ball is released from the bowlers hand.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Also try sitting slightly to one side of the batsman, so that your point of view is more in line of the ball coming towards you...

I'll give this a go thanks @Dutch ... This is pro cam right? Funny because it does actually feel as if the batsman is falling over his front pad all the time in pro cam. I've taken more to the far batsman cam now, the wickets are good guide as to the line of the ball.

I premeditate always. As default, I will go front foot and play. But if I find that the bowler is bowling a short ball, then I will have enough time to switch to back foot and play my shot. Otherwise, it's always front foot for me. I know this is not the ideal way, but I find it really difficult to choose the footwork after the ball is released from the bowlers hand.

Yeah, I try to do the same when on the frontfoot, but the amount of short balls I miss out on frustrates me to no end lol..

I'd be interested to know what method works better, or even if the game notices if you premeditate or dont. My avg of 30 probably suggests it does lol and it punishes me by knicking me off all the time!!

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I pre-meditate everything from footwork to shots if its Fast or Fast Medium. I have tried watching the line but I am not good at picking the line and playing the right shot in the given amount of time. For Medium and Spin I can pick them easily as I have got enough time

Part of it can be blamed on Online as I have played too much online where there is even less time with weird tactics. So I have to out-think my opponent ex If the guy bowled a bouncer and got hit for boundary then I bet my wife he will bowl a yorker as his next ball. In this case if I pre-meditate it allows me to pick the gaps in the given time

myhill35

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i like playing batsman close with no ariel marker(the coloured circles) i keep ball traill so is jst a red or white streak...this seems to give me enough time to not pre-med footwork or shot.... but sometimes i still do (bad habit)lol....thing that bothers me most is invisble balls or the ball that only appears wen is more then half way down track..
usually against short pitched spin or various 180 rpm deliveries and sometimes short pitched med....also even now some players i play against say the full inswinger with late-ish release does sometimes go invisible too aswell !! ....does anybody else have these issues in different camera views or with diffrent marker settings?....sorry if strayed off topic a little.

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i like playing batsman close with no ariel marker(the coloured circles) i keep ball traill so is jst a red or white streak...this seems to give me enough time to not pre-med footwork or shot.... but sometimes i still do (bad habit)lol....thing that bothers me most is invisble balls or the ball that only appears wen is more then half way down track..
usually against short pitched spin or various 180 rpm deliveries and sometimes short pitched med....also even now some players i play against say the full inswinger with late-ish release does sometimes go invisible too aswell !! ....does anybody else have these issues in different camera views or with diffrent marker settings?....sorry if strayed off topic a little.

Happens to me when too much lag (very few occasions)

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Can anyone think of a way to stop premeditated footwork in the next game?... I'm guessing its a pretty common thing players do.. Also understand some people don't premeditate, and that they probably don't want or need a modification, so I guess if there is a modification of some sort to help us premeditaters, then it would have to be a feature you could turn on and off.

Just a guess... I reckon it has something to do with limited amount of time we have to input the shot during the delivery. Not sure if its designed this way as to let the game have the all required input so the shot animation has time to play out... Or something, not sure?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
as @Dutch says, playing without indicators generally gives you a little more time and lets you minimise premeditation. I was really sceptical of this working when @grkrama first suggested it, but i tried it and it is great for picking up length early.

definitely worth giving a whirl - it may take time to get used to.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I Did give it a good whirl last night, for about half hour in -out on the ground practice... And yeah its actually a lot better, does take some getting use to though... But after 20 min or so I could pick the ball up clear as day, also had a chance to work on the footwork... And found if I held the LAS at 9 o'clock it was a lot easier to swivel up or down, round the perimeter(if ya get what I'm saying)... Felt great not having to premeditate all the time!! Sure sometimes I literally kicked the ball into the covers with my front hoof, but I knew exactly why it was happening and how to correct it (I'd only swiveled LAS to cover to a straight one, where I should of swiveled all the way to 6o'clock instead)

All in all out on the ground practice is a great way to learn things-experiment things, and the removal of the ball trail and ring helps definitely :thumbs

DevilzTutor

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have to admit that even on my 42" LED TV I can't judge the line and length of the ball. We have to figure out 3 things as batsman at same time 1. short pitch or full pitch, 2. Slow ball 3. Leg or Off. So I hope big ant do something to make it a little easier in next version of DBC.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I have to admit that even on my 42" LED TV I can't judge the line and length of the ball. We have to figure out 3 things as batsman at same time 1. short pitch or full pitch, 2. Slow ball 3. Leg or Off. So I hope big ant do something to make it a little easier in next version of DBC.

have you switched off all the markers as we discussed above? it helps with picking up length more quickly.

DevilzTutor

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
have you switched off all the markers as we discussed above? it helps with picking up length more quickly.
Nops, I will try that and see. Thanks. What Camera u prefer then ? I use Far batsman camera.

Users who are viewing this thread