Spin Bowling Impression and questions..

dharish

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hey guys..

Firstly such a brilliant game.. Thank you Big Ant Studios!

Below are my impressions and questions. Feel free to comment or answer them:

1. Spin - Drift is brilliant. Really sets up the batsman.. It is very tough to bowl spin but I have chosen career as Bowling All rounder with the 16 year old being a wrist spinner. There was a moment where I changed the field and setup the batsman, beat him in the flight and he hit it straight to the fielder.. was a WOW moment!!!
2. I dont seem to get turn.. anybody else notice? Even with 1000 RPM with Shane Warne on a 5th Day turner - no spin at all. This holds good for pace, no seam movement really! Or am I missing something?
3. I am using inverted the controls. So can someone tell what are the controls once u invert? For eg. which is leg spin, etc.. I am not able to tell the difference much as the ball doesn't spin!!

Thought we should have a thread for spin alone as it seems the toughest part in the game!!! :-)

savvart

Associate Cricketer
I agree, the ball does visually seem to turn very much, but I can see the drift though...

PremierBatsman

Club Cricketer
Hey guys..

Firstly such a brilliant game.. Thank you Big Ant Studios!

Below are my impressions and questions. Feel free to comment or answer them:

1. Spin - Drift is brilliant. Really sets up the batsman.. It is very tough to bowl spin but I have chosen career as Bowling All rounder with the 16 year old being a wrist spinner. There was a moment where I changed the field and setup the batsman, beat him in the flight and he hit it straight to the fielder.. was a WOW moment!!!
2. I dont seem to get turn.. anybody else notice? Even with 1000 RPM with Shane Warne on a 5th Day turner - no spin at all. This holds good for pace, no seam movement really! Or am I missing something?
3. I am using inverted the controls. So can someone tell what are the controls once u invert? For eg. which is leg spin, etc.. I am not able to tell the difference much as the ball doesn't spin!!

Thought we should have a thread for spin alone as it seems the toughest part in the game!!! :-)

Im a wrist spinner I get over 2000rpm and the ball still doesn't turn I think its a bug like most other things in this game hopefully they will also fix this.

geezajob

School Cricketer
Db 14 is a very good game as games go in which you can play a friend or online its more fun than most other sport games as it takes 1v1 then adds technical and tactical elements that you dont get from fifaor nba as long as both have knowledge of crickets many quirks! If the ball turned big the batting would be impossible as different amounts of turn would be really difficult to play! But in career mode against AI It would be more predictable but as long as it was your stock ball that turned big with variations more manageable in my opinion its the only fundamental aspect of the game that needs tweaked please if someone from big ant reads this I understand tweaking this and adding a few small things and cricket 14 becomes cricket 15 16 and 17! Big ant great job though! I love the new batting and bowling controls and the physics!

NICK_GIFF

Club Captain
My batting-allrounder is a wrist spinner but earlier today I had my ball which properly turned, and it bowled the left-handed Ed Joyce through the gate, hitting middle stump. I actually punched the air in celebration. :D

Generally though, they don't turn one iota and it does need patching. I get my 16 year old won't be very good but I've not seen good wrist spinners in the game getting any turn either.

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
If you ever played against spin in the nets beta that was a real challenge with lots of turn.
I didn't know why that isn't showing through in the game but I believe that BigAnt are investigating.

I've just had a try of the Xbox version of the nets (as opposed to the PC CA beta version) and there is definitely less spin, swing, drift and seaming than the beta.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Maybe it's all drift but I have to push the release point out to the far left so as not to miss leg stump when bowling off breaks.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The wrist spinners action in the game is perfect. I find spin the hardest to face whilst batting and the easiest to bowl.

yogi33

School Cricketer
In my experience the ball turns the most off a drifting delivery. Max out someone's drift stat and watch the carnage. Almost unplayable.

I would love to know a but more about how the age of the ball and pitch affect turn or seam. I just haven't seen an awful of either on a variety of pitches.

DAP1987

School Cricketer
Love bowling spin, definitely one of the best parts, and I have got plenty of spin with Swann, had a ball bounce around 3 inches outside of off and beat the batsman and just clip leg stump ... i had doubted the turn and spin but that ball showed me it does happen and can happen in big ways!

I also find batting against spin to be a great challenge, struggle all the time with so many LBW's from trying to play a shot that I shouldn't

thevicky

Club Captain
Noticed an odd thing playing in a competition mode (IPL) game last night...

bowling with my offspinner I could get the ball to turn in to the batsman (slightly - on a spinning pitch, with murali!) by pointing the LAS up and left (2 o'clock) which is what I am meant to do. (also got him to turn his Doosra by pointing 11 o'clock); so far so good...

But when I went to use a left arm finger spinner the directions seemed to be invered for some reason? ie - If i wanted him to spin it in to the right hander I had to point the LAS at 11 o'clock and away from the right hander I had to point it at 2 o'clock? Is this an issue the game is having with left handed spinners?

Edit: On reflection I think I should post this in the bugs thread. Mods please feel free to delete if appropriate.

estmsm

Club Captain
I have noticed that the ball turns... While i was batting in a career mode, i shuffled towards my off stump and tried to play a shot towards mid on but i missed it as the ball turned from the off stump area and hit my leg stump.. And got out...

Users who are viewing this thread