Steam Controller for PC Version

scampy

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Has anything been said as to whether the PC version of the game will be playable with the Steam Controller?

zuhayr92

Club Cricketer
We've heard nothing about the PC version for some time, as far as I'm aware.
Have you tried using the steam controller in the academy?
I tried using it in DB14 but it wasn't a good experience

scampy

Club Captain
Not got a Steam Controller yet. Was considering purchasing one for DBC17 if it was a user-friendly option (and also getting a Steam Link to throw the gameplay onto my TV).

Generally the reviews I have seen for the Steam Controller were very positive. In some of the reviews the users were commenting that the right pad, which replaces the right analogue stick, was a more 'exact' input - which made me wonder what effect that would have on shot-direction in this game?

I think I will hold fire until post-release to see if there is any feedback or comments on the Steam Controller; either in this forum or on the steam forum.

zuhayr92

Club Cricketer
I'll try out the Academy using Steam Link and Controller when I get a chance :)

DBC14 was not great on the steam link even though my computer and steam link were connected through ethernet.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I had a go at playing DBC17 with a Steam Controller yesterday (with PC not via Steam Link) and it works rather well. You need to think sligtly differently in terms of how you use it compared with a normal controller but I think that with a bit of practice it may turn out to be my controller of choice.

The main difference is, of course, that the Steam Controller has no RS. Instead you need to configure the right trackpad to act like one. To start with I found this very difficult because the trackpad doesn't feel like a stick control...and it is very sensitive (though this can be configured). I could have spent more time configuring it to behave a bit more like a xbox controller stick but then I thought why not try to use the trackpad differently.

For batting, I visuallised the circular right trackpad as being the cricket ground, with me in the centre. Instead of starting with my thumb in the centre, to play a shot, and pushing it in the direction I wanted to place the shot (i.e. emulating how you interact with a stick control), I just tapped the edge of the trackpad at the place on the cricket ground boundary that I wanted to aim at. It works rather well and I felt that I had greater control of direction. So now that I was just tapping the trackpad, rather than moving my thumb across it, batting was working for me with this controller. Additionally I found that the lighter touch required on the triggers made defending and aggressive shots much easier to execute.

I had tried bowling with the Steam Controller in DBC14 and given it up as not being a great experience. However, given the succes with batting I wanted to see if I could get it to work. Turns out it works very well too. I didn't want to have to configure different settings for bowling and batting so had to go with what I had set up. Spin bowling worked well by selecting the delivery and then just tapping the right trackpad for line. Given the sensitivity it is much easier to vary the line of delivery (and also easier to get this wrong...and I quite liked this challenge). Pace bowling was a bit trickier because a) I play as career spinner and hadn't spent any time learning pace bowling and b) the sensitivity on line can easily turn your delivery into one that makes Harmison's 2006 Ashes opeing ball look well directed. Again I found that trying to use the trackpad as a virtual RS (i.e. push back from centre to start the delivery and forward to deliver) was causing the difficulty. Instead I worked out that just tapping the trackpad south of the centre to start the delivery was much more effective and tapping north of the centre to trigger the delivery sort of worked. The latter action was, however, really prone to wild variations in line. I finally settled on tapping to start the delivery and then pushing my thumb forward to deliver the ball and set the line. Suddenly I was able to bowl pace a lot better. Inswinging yorkers were now threating the batsman's toes rather than the shins of leg slip.

Overall, I liked using this controller with DBC17. Getting used to the having the buttons being a lot smaller and in a different place will take a bit of time, but worth perservering with, I think. I did change the mapping of the right grip button (the one on the base of the controller) to be 'direction pad up' to make appealing for wickets easier and to prevent accidentally setting off for a run (the default binding is the X button) and created a bigger deadspot in the centre of the right trackpad to stop accidently touching it but otherwise used the standard template for a controller. I haven't tried using the gyros yet but might experiment to see if they can add anything to the experience.

Although I wouldn't recommend rushing out to buy a Steam Controller, just yet, just for DBC17, if you have one give it a go. I would be interested to see if anyone has advice on use and configuration.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
One very useful feature for the Steam Controller, that I hadn't previously noticed, is the introduction of Action Sets. These allow you to change the mapping of the controller based on context. For DBC17 this means that you can have a different configuration when bowling to the one that you have for batting. I expeirmented with this briefly but need to spend some more time on it. Essentially I've reduced the horizontal sensitivity on the trackpad when bowling to give a bit more control on line and mapped the right grip trigger for appealing. For batting I mapped the right grip trigger to the leave button and changed the dead spot on the trackpad to give me a place to rest my thumb without triggering input. I then mapped the left grip trigger to switch between bowling and batting action sets. I think this use of action sets may make the Steam Controller an even better option for DBC17. I'd be interested if anyone has any recommendations for ideal batting configs and ideal bowling configs. I like the controller a great deal but the one let down is trying to work out what all the settings do as the documentation is distinctly lacking.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
on sale you get it for 30$ i think and its not a console tool, its great if you are gaming with pc plugged to TV from time to time.

Yep. Steam controllers are intended for PC, so not a console tool in the slightest. Also, yes there are a lot of overpriced steam controllers out there due to supply shortages.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yep. Steam controllers are intended for PC, so not a console tool in the slightest. Also, yes there are a lot of overpriced steam controllers out there due to supply shortages.

there's only one tool commenting here...
@Bluebagger - I don't recall you being such an objectionable **** in the DBC14 forums. am i misremembering or have you been struck some sort of Phineas Gage style accident?

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Edited. problem solved.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46200

there's only one tool commenting here...
@Bluebagger - I don't recall you being such an objectionable **** in the DBC14 forums. am i misremembering or have you been struck some sort of Phineas Gage style accident?
A little strong...?

I throw bombs where I like, petal.

Petal, snowflake, practice peace and harmony and constructiveness.

Love peas and vegetable rights?[DOUBLEPOST=1488317947][/DOUBLEPOST]
Edited. problem solved.
Good, nice work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Good, nice work.
Thanks Caz. I'm not part of the group so I wouldn't last long throwing bombs wherever I like ;) fit in or ship out as they say

Users who are viewing this thread