1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips and resources on becoming a better cricketer!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Punisher, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Perfect Square International Coach

Perfect Square
    PCPL Sky Hawks PAK...
    AKA:
    ARKRafay
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    All PSL teams
    How to bowl Leg Spin?
    When I try to bowl leg spin, I always get googly :p

2. ContrarianUmp School Cricketer

ContrarianUmp
    Domestic Team:
    Bangalore in IPL, Renegades in BBL
    So my interest is in bringing skills from other areas into cricket umpiring. I'm tossing around the idea of writing a PhD on retention of umpires through an effective feedback and performance management system similar to that you would see in business, for example.

One thing I've come across, now I don't have huge amounts of data, but it's appearing to work, but playing table tennis seems to improve batters ability to read the ball, pick up changes in the air and improve their reaction time during a match/in the nets. Not claiming to turn anyone into Bradman, but food for thought...

Salman. and The Punisher thanked this.
  3. DrewBi School Cricketer

DrewBi
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    New south Wales
    I'm about 13 and I'm playing under 14's. I'm a fast bowler, I was just wondering how much I should bowl and how often as in practicing at home.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  4. DrewBi School Cricketer

DrewBi
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    New south Wales
    I play under 14's I was just wondering how often should I bowl a slower ball, cutter, cross seamer or Yorker.

5. Perfect Square International Coach

Perfect Square
    PCPL Sky Hawks PAK...
    AKA:
    ARKRafay
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    All PSL teams
    Will anyone help me?

6. CerealKiller Panel of Selectors

CerealKiller
    Fantasy Cricket Team PCPL Sky Hawks PAK...
    AKA:
    talahayat
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Islamabad United (cricket), Juventus (football)

Perfect Square and The Punisher thanked this.
  7. CerealKiller Panel of Selectors

CerealKiller
    Fantasy Cricket Team PCPL Sky Hawks PAK...
    AKA:
    talahayat
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Islamabad United (cricket), Juventus (football)
    I think you should stick to the basics with the new ball, and try more variatons at the death.

DrewBi said thanks for this.
  8. CazC30 Club Captain

CazC30
    AKA:
    Caz
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    Surrey C.C.C/Western Warriors.
    Let's learn from the Mistress;

9. Perfect Square International Coach

Perfect Square
    PCPL Sky Hawks PAK...
    AKA:
    ARKRafay
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    All PSL teams
    Yupe @CerealKiller is right. You should first stick to basics and try to focus on good line & length. You could try practicing on yorkers, before slower ball.

10. DrewBi School Cricketer

DrewBi
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    New south Wales
    Everyone always gives me batting tips and i always take them into context but i still always get out out for 2,3 kinda scores. Its not my confidence. I've been trying everything for 2 and a bit years. Should i just accept that I'm a horrible batsman and give up on batting and stick to bowling.

11. ContrarianUmp School Cricketer

ContrarianUmp
    Domestic Team:
    How old are you? How do you do batting against people you know?

It may not be a technique issue or anything like that. It's not uncommon for younger people to be technically fine, smash it around in the nets during training but fail dismally in the centre. This boils down to one of two issues:

1. Performance anxiety. These people tend to take matches very seriously and as a result spend the day getting nervous about batting. The appeal and decision of the batsmen before you scares you, the walk to the middle stresses you out etc.

Or 2. An inability to play strangers. More common in introverted people. Seemingly has no other issue than dealing with batting against strangers.

To an extent this resolves with age if you want to wait, else it's a case of understanding what the issue is and working on it.

DrewBi and The Punisher thanked this.
  12. ContrarianUmp School Cricketer

ContrarianUmp
    Domestic Team:
    So I reread my above post and realised I didn't give any suggestions for fixing it if anyone identifes themselves in it. Writing from the perspective of kids in formative teen years...

The first one is in slot of ways the easiest. Essentially you need to get to a point where you take the game seriously, but not get *too* nervous (everyone will say some nerves are fine)

First thing would suggest is sit down and activrly think about the role cricket plays in your life.
    How does it impact your family life? (It doesn't, or not much)
    How does it impact your school?
    How will this match impact your future career? (Unless planning on pro cricketer, it won't)

Effectively, understand that while it's important at the time, realistically cricket, on the whole is not a major issue in your life.

Would also suggest packing all your gear up night before, get clothes ready etc. Spend the morning eating a good breakfast, read the newspaper, read a book, put the iPod on etc. Goal here is to keep mind active without making you tired to the game and prevent the morning from being stress out time.

At the ground, is going to be hardest. Team dynamics and expectations will be an issue here. Thoughts of ipod, jogging laps to keep warm etc come to mind but there is a balance between the team nature etc for me to comment too much.

The second issue was me when I was younger. Although I'm a Bowler so it wasn't a huge deal. Primarily this is because the confidence come from thinking 'I can play Jim' rather than 'I can deal with leg spinners'. If your ok in the nets, then your probably ok against most types of bowling. Some time with a bowling team, or go visit a club and have a hit with them can help dramatically...

Of course, it might be a technique issue or the like, I'm less qualified on that front so will leave that to others.

DrewBi and The Punisher thanked this.
  13. DrewBi School Cricketer

DrewBi
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    New south Wales
    The Punisher said thanks for this.
  14. DrewBi School Cricketer

DrewBi
    National Team:
    Domestic Team:
    New south Wales