Will/Should there be a Patch 5?

sahil1087

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Hello everyone. First of all KUDOSSSSS to BigAnt team for delivering a very well polished game. We gotta admit that this is impressive as BigAnt have done a great job in fixing most of the issues. This thread is for suggestions only. What do you guys think? Should there be another patch following this or is that it for DBC 17? I know there are still few things that need to be fixed but let's have a constructive discussion on this and provide with your ideas and opinions.

P.S. - Keep this related to game play!!

Below are few things I want in the game.

A) I want more REPLAYS for close calls (Top edges, ball beating the bat, LBW appeal, a good dive by a fielder to stop the ball etc.) to make things look more realistic and interesting. Also they need to add more Highlights just like FIFA. In this case we can see FOW (fall of wickets), Boundaries scored by top scorer etc.

B) Commentary has not been touched in this patch. This needs to be fixed. I am sorry but I can't mute the commentary and play as that just doesn't make any sense. You need it for the realism and please add some enthusiasm in their voices. It does wonders to the gameplay and gives you a huge feel of realism. Miss that excitement and passion in the voices.

Below are few examples:

1) I ran 4 runs and even 5 runs, no acknowledgment by commentators
2) I scored 100 and 200, still no excitement or acknowledgement
3) Commentators usually go with "Oh what a shot" when you can clearly see that it was a mistimed stroke and sometimes even when you get caught.
4) A lot of times I play a shot on the offside but the commentators mention leg side and so on.

C) Few Bugs (a wicket falling but scorecard says not out, batsmen taking forever to return back to the crease etc.) need a fix as well.

I understand that it is impossible to make a 100% bug free product but why not give it a shot. I don't mind if they announce these changes in their next product as well. Looking to hear from BigAnt and you guys. Let's not criticize anyone here and give our honest opinion.

Thanks again BigAnt and I will always keep supporting you guys as always. Cheers!

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A 5th patch would be nice but I'm sure there are constraints in terms of time and money to put into it. I'd want it to focus on fixing any bugs that haven't been already or are popping up since patch 4. Mainly I'd want to see AI worked on a little more, especially with regard to test matches. The game is 2/3 there for me in terms of the formats. Of course they could all be improved but like you say it can't every be 100% bug free or perfect.

In my opinion replays and commentary aren't related to game play so I wouldn't consider them essential for improvement on this game - assuming/hoping there will be a sequel. I would be in favour of more replays/highlights in the future. It would be nice to get a mini highlights reel when a batsman gets 50, 100 or a bowler a five-for. I'd imagine it would need more time to develop something that works than another patch. The fact that replays aren't saved when you exit a match as it is. If they were it could need a lot memory/storage (someone will know what I mean) to keep everything. I'd expect it would slow down load times too if it's having to reload stored data on every ball. Of course if this was limited to only wickets and boundaries it might be workable.

I might be crazy but when I had the commentary on the other day I'm sure it was better. Maybe my memory from before I muted it was worse than it actually was. Personally I don't get the realism argument about commentary. It might be realistic if you're watching on TV but not if you're actually taking part in a match. And I never heard any excitment or passion in James Taylor's voice before or after the patches.

Last edited:

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Yes , I think there will have to be a 5th Patch .

I will elaborate further after playing enough Online Games , but there is still a few Online Bugs left , to name a few :

1. When batters run , the bowlers end batsman will sometimes set of for a suicide run without any means to cancel.
  2. Same scenario as above , but the batsman returns after two or three steps (without any user input ) , but normally in this period , he ends up getting run out via direct hit or bowler taking the bails off.
  3. Batsmen takes ages to return to the crease on a cancelled run.
  4. Overthrows are still there , bowler and keeper still gets hit by the incoming ball whilst supposed to catch it.
  5. Square inner-ring fielders still get their throwing bar reset at wrong moments , resulting in lobbed throws to the wickets.

Last edited:

gunit123

County Cricketer
Yes , I think there will have to be a 5th Patch .

I will elaborate further after playing enough Online Games , but there is still a few Online Bugs left , to name a few :

1. When batters run , the bowling side batsman will sometimes set of for a suicide run without any means to cancel.
  2. Same scenario as above , but the batsman returns after two or three steps (without any user input ) , but normally in this period , he ends up getting run out via direct hit or bowler taking the bails off.
  3. Batsmen takes ages to return to the crease on a cancelled run.
  4. Overthrows are still there , bowler and keeper still gets hit by the incoming ball whilst supposed to catch it.
  5. Square inner-ring fielders still get their throwing bar reset at wrong moments , resulting in lobbed throws to the wickets.

All of the above have been problematic since the start of the game and been reported in the bug thread many times. I'm not sure if it is something the devs can fix unfortunately as I'm sure it has been discussed.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
In DBC14 , the Batsman running was also problematic , but yet it got fixed , so I have full faith in BA that they will be able to figure out how to make the Batsman behave as they should.

hiyagasriiniyavan

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There are only 9 to 12 types of length in bowling deliveries (short ball 3 type of length,length ball 3 type,over pitch 3 type and yorker 3 type)this is not enough for variety bowling,need more length options BUT IN DBC 14 CONTAINS MORE VARITIONS IN LENGTHS AND BOWLING

SO PLEASE need another patch
except this DBC17 is great game

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm not sure but I think they would have started working on DBC 19, if they have planned a sequel. In my opinion, they just need to take the positives or what worked from both DBC 14 & DBC 17, add those motion captured animations from their new in-house facility and improve the presentation. You would be surprised how awesome it would end up being.

I really think DBC is just 1 step away from competing in the big league.

eaglesrjh

School Cricketer
I'd be amazed if there was a 5th Patch unless there is a game breaking bug discovered.

there has to be a point where this game is as good as it's getting and big ant can get on with other projects and hopefully the next iteration of DBC,

Commentary I agree is rubbish but dont think thats an easy patch, think it's not going to be fixed. I agree hearing things like "they end the over as they started on x for x" when runs have been scored or "thats a maiden" when it's not are annoying but think they are here to stay.

D

Deleted member 46200

I'd be amazed if there was a 5th Patch unless there is a game breaking bug discovered.

there has to be a point where this game is as good as it's getting and big ant can get on with other projects and hopefully the next iteration of DBC,

Commentary I agree is rubbish but dont think thats an easy patch, think it's not going to be fixed. I agree hearing things like "they end the over as they started on x for x" when runs have been scored or "thats a maiden" when it's not are annoying but think they are here to stay.
Commentary wise we should have Danny Morrison and Alison Mitchel plus some ex player who's 'fit' to be the pitch side totty!

Obviously, for the next instalment DBC 19.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have to say that if there is no patch upcoming that overall this game would be behind it's previous iteration (i.e. DBC 14). That felt a much more complete experience. Hopefully if this is the end, for the next iteration, given there is one, that BigAnt can revert back to DBC 14 for many aspects of the game. Still is a great game though.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to not lose focus of stats as that is an enormous part of the game for cricket fans (see Andy Zaltzman) and then to be a lot more comprehensive regarding the appearance of the game. I think there will always be little niggles as far as the gameplay is concerned. Cricket is quite a complicated sport. But stats and appearances are concrete that can be nailed down to perfection. Games moves smoothly as it is now. Overall, it feels great to have a more than playable cricket game title again.

BononFi__er

School Cricketer

Commentary for sports games is rarely patched mid-iteration. Although MLB The Show recently patched out some of the more glaring mistakes. But I wouldn't expect major changes until the next game. I wouldn't mind KP though doubt they could afford him. I was pleasantly surprised how good he was in IPL, I'll admit though that after a decade of dreading what he might say next I had low expectations!

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Commentary for sports games is rarely patched mid-iteration. Although MLB The Show recently patched out some of the more glaring mistakes. But I wouldn't expect major changes until the next game. I wouldn't mind KP though doubt they could afford him. I was pleasantly surprised how good he was in IPL, I'll admit though that after a decade of dreading what he might say next I had low expectations!
Yeah I liked him as well. Outside of all the drama around his career, the guy is probably one of England's all time best batsman. You have to think he knows about the game a little going on that. But I second all this.

Users who are viewing this thread