Review Ashes Cricket 2009 Press Reviews

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ashes 09 got a "Gameplay" rating of 7.5 and BLIC 07 got 8.0. would you say Ashes has the better gameplay?

I will skip the question without answering it properly. BLIC 07, the slogathon which I got bored within 5 minutes of, got an 8 for gameplay?

The OPM review shows a test match screen, where they've clearly stuck it on Easy/Medium and are scoring at ~ 9 rpo. Don't take these reviews seriously. They are meant for the casual pick up and play arcade gamers who are only interested in slogging.

Swingers

Club Cricketer
Sorry, earlier the link took me to the Aus review, either way IGN have two reviews up now.:D

10dulkar

Club Cricketer
8.5 for game play and lasting appeal. Looking good.

Waiting for review and ratings of PC members.

ajamils

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
None of the reviews mentioned anything about online play, is it not available in game ? :eek:

Sureshot

Executive member
It is, but the servers won't be available until Friday, as that is release day.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Regards to IGN ratings does the rating change because more reviewers are testing the game?

Sureshot

Executive member
It'll be based on whoever did the review. If several people did it, the review will be based on an average score. I think IGN have single reviewers though.

Golden28

Club Cricketer
I honestly wonder about these reviewers.

Hardly any of them mention the AI quality of the opposition at all. In a 5 day test this is the most vital of parts to this game,

The one thing I want to hear about is whether we can now have a decent 5 day test against the CPU without them making stupid decisions, be it in the field or with the bat.

My games store called me today to let me know I can pick up the game tomorrow if I want.

I am hesitant in blowing nigh on ?40 on this game if it doesn't allow me to have great offline experience. I don't have the time to play a test match online, who does??

Sureshot...in a yes or no answer, should I buy the game tomorrow?

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
I honestly wonder about these reviewers.

Hardly any of them mention the AI quality of the opposition at all. In a 5 day test this is the most vital of parts to this game,

The one thing I want to hear about is whether we can now have a decent 5 day test against the CPU without them making stupid decisions, be it in the field or with the bat.

My games store called me today to let me know I can pick up the game tomorrow if I want.

I am hesitant in blowing nigh on ?40 on this game if it doesn't allow me to have great offline experience. I don't have the time to play a test match online, who does??

Sureshot...in a yes or no answer, should I buy the game tomorrow?

Your a bit OTT tbh...from what the reviews have said it seems better than most cricket games, unless your happy playing Cricket 2005?

Golden28

Club Cricketer
Your a bit OTT tbh...from what the reviews have said it seems better than most cricket games, unless your happy playing Cricket 2005?

It may be better than most cricket games, but when most cricket games are s**t that's not saying much.

I don't have money to throw away so need to know that this game is going to do what I want of it, namely provide a really realistic single player challenge.

I have also just read through the impressions thread and am getting very worried...

Crazy stumpings happening frequently
The dreaded run out bug is still there
5 day tests lasting little more than 1.5 days
Pace of bowlers way off, ie Anderson bowling in the 70's
No ability to up ratings without taking away from other ratings (WTF?)

If I could be sure that the PS3 version was getting a patch to fix the above I would go and buy without hesitation, but I'm not blowing ?40 on a game that will end up sitting on my mantlepiece just like BLIC07 did once I realised that the AI was totally messed up.

I absolutely loved the demo, but all that did was show the mechanics of the game, this is what draws you in. It's the AI of the opposition that keeps me interested, this is what I want to hear about.

Just my personal preferences so don't tell me I'm being OTT again thankyou

kamy100

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
The issues you raise are perfectly valid and people should not buy games if they have doubts. For me I can't wait to play the game, although I am mega disappointed that the bowling speeds and run outs haven't been fixed. Hopefully they will be fixed with a patch.

You could try renting the game from Blockbuster or LOVEFILM, if you want to use LOVEFILM enter d67ax7r3f for a free 3 month trial.

Golden28

Club Cricketer
The issues you raise are perfectly valid and people should not buy games if they have doubts. For me I can't wait to play the game, although I am mega disappointed that the bowling speeds and run outs haven't been fixed. Hopefully they will be fixed with a patch.

You could try renting the game from Blockbuster or LOVEFILM, if you want to use LOVEFILM enter d67ax7r3f for a free 3 month trial.

Thanks my friend.

Rental is of course a very valid option. It's just I've really been impressed by the demo and to have it all ruined by bad AI and bugs that we thought would not get into retail is a huge dissapointment.

Sureshot

Executive member
Run-outs are better than in the demo, but they've created other problems with running by attempting to fix it (or at least, it feels like it, anyway).

I sent you a PM Golden28, in case you've not seen it.

cricket/2009

School Cricketer
ok well yeh of cause the run-outs will annoy me and player speeds but i just want to play a new cricket game, and it on HD, ps3 and online with friends and it has trophies so there bonuses and i got ?30 on game card so it will basically cost me ?10 :D

Users who are viewing this thread