Review Ashes Cricket 2009 Press Reviews

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Your a bit OTT tbh...from what the reviews have said it seems better than most cricket games, unless your happy playing Cricket 2005?

It seems to be better than BLIC 99 as well, and that was the best cricket game ever. Going by the demo, that's what I think.

MasterBlaster76 added 3 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

IGN's Review.

IGN: Ashes Cricket 2009 Review

Seems like it's 'too' realistic according to the reviewer which imo is a good thing. A lot of PC are looking for that. But he goes on to say it robs you of excitement (ie. It goes a bit too slowly). Good review imo. Seems like test matches are for the hardcore gamers, while the ODIs and T20s are for people who want to pick up the game and bash the ball around.

Too realistic is good!

Mastery of the batting skills actually makes that part of the game trivial. Once the timing is down pat it's no big deal to smash fours and sixes like they're going out of fashion.

I hope that was on easy or normal...

Last edited:

FaWaD

Club Cricketer
Just gathered a few reviews overview from Ashes Cricket 2009 (ps3) reviews at Metacritic.com..

82 - IGN UK

Its greatest success is in managing the balancing act between bowling and batting – a hurdle at which many cricket games fall, but one that’s deftly dealt with by developers Transmission.
Read Full Review >

74 - IGN AU

What’s important here is that the core mechanics are well executed and there’s little doubt that they are. Ironically, the realistic feel robs the game of its excitement. We wouldn’t want to see Bigs style Turbo modes necessarily - that’s just not cricket - but something to crank the pace up just a little would have been great, particularly in single player mode.
Read Full Review >

73 - PSM3 Magazine UK

Overall Satisfying cricketing action that lacks longevity once mastered.
Read Full Review >

70 - VideoGamer

Ashes Cricket 2009 is a solid recreation of the sport and this summer's big sporting event, but it's lacking spark and feels a little slight in terms of depth.
Read Full Review >

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

Sureshot

Executive member
Colin has got his PC copy working (eventually ;)). So you should get a review from him on the PC format soon.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
What is this guy on about?

http://xbox.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=18379

If the player batting could see the delivery from behind his own stumps or via a first person view then we'd really have something. As it stands Ashes Cricket 2009 is rather crippled as a simulation of the sport and instead only offers an abstract knockabout instead. The problem is that you're removed from the fundamental element of striking the ball, telling the player where to hit the ball rather than being involved in the skills required to hit it at all. You are remotely controlling the batsman rather than being the batsman yourself....

A cricket game where the player can't fully control the batsman is like a rally driving game where the cars don't slide - it's missing a fundamental aspect of the sport.

Even the universally acclaimed 'best cricket game ever', BLIC '99 had this sort of camera angle. This is how cricket games have always been - you control the players, rather than be them. Indeed, that's how it is in football games as well!

I agree that a 'batsman's view' of the whole proceedings would be a cool option, but to level that criticism at Ashes 2009 alone is harsh - all cricket games have the 'TV cam' as default and even the ones that had a 'batsman's view' option didn't seem to make all that difference.

Also:

I'm a believer that a sports game should allow the player the opportunity to go through the same thought processes as a real player, even if the physical motions aren't there. So in a football game you'll want to be able to choose an open player to pass too, then gauge the direction and power of the pass. In a cricket game I'd expect the batsman to have to read the ball as it was hurtling at him and then decided what on earth to do about it.

It's a game for God's sake! There are certain things in cricket that will never be really well simulated and one of those is reading a bowler's delivery! What, do you reckon if you were batting in first person view, you'd be able to see what the damn seam is doing as it comes out of the bowler's hand? Seriously, this guy wants the impossible.

No mention of bugs, either; his problem is it doesn't place a bat in his hand and place him at the popping crease at Lords, facing Brett Lee!

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

What is this guy on about?

Boomtown - xbox - Xbox 360

If the player batting could see the delivery from behind his own stumps or via a first person view then we'd really have something. As it stands Ashes Cricket 2009 is rather crippled as a simulation of the sport and instead only offers an abstract knockabout instead. The problem is that you're removed from the fundamental element of striking the ball, telling the player where to hit the ball rather than being involved in the skills required to hit it at all. You are remotely controlling the batsman rather than being the batsman yourself....

A cricket game where the player can't fully control the batsman is like a rally driving game where the cars don't slide - it's missing a fundamental aspect of the sport.

Even the universally acclaimed 'best cricket game ever', BLIC '99 had this sort of camera angle. This is how cricket games have always been - you control the players, rather than be them. Indeed, that's how it is in football games as well!

I agree that a 'batsman's view' of the whole proceedings would be a cool option, but to level that criticism at Ashes 2009 alone is harsh - all cricket games have the 'TV cam' as default and even the ones that had a 'batsman's view' option didn't seem to make all that difference.

Also:

I'm a believer that a sports game should allow the player the opportunity to go through the same thought processes as a real player, even if the physical motions aren't there. So in a football game you'll want to be able to choose an open player to pass too, then gauge the direction and power of the pass. In a cricket game I'd expect the batsman to have to read the ball as it was hurtling at him and then decided what on earth to do about it.

It's a game for God's sake! There are certain things in cricket that will never be really well simulated and one of those is reading a bowler's delivery! What, do you reckon if you were batting in first person view, you'd be able to see what the damn seam is doing as it comes out of the bowler's hand? Seriously, this guy wants the impossible.

No mention of bugs, either; his problem is it doesn't place a bat in his hand and place him at the popping crease at Lords, facing Brett Lee!

I just ignore these reviews. You cannot take a cricket game review seriously from people who do not love the game. They always compare it to other sports games (FIFA, Madden, MLB09) and cricket always falls short graphically.

Every decent cricket game is played in the current camera angle. The angle behind the stumps is a novelty angle, much like this guys novelty review

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Also, you have more control over the batsman in this game than in any other cricket game ever:

Front foot/back foot shot selection

The ability to (try) to hit the ball anywhere on the pitch

Movement around the crease, even when the bowler is about to release the ball

All the shots under the sun.

So, what's this guy on about when he says you haven't got full control over the batsman?

Sureshot

Executive member
In a cricket game I'd expect the batsman to have to read the ball as it was hurtling at him and then decided what on earth to do about it.

Which is what you do. Unless he expects no visible bowling marker as a batsman. I don't think we could replicate reactions quick enough to implement this with a controller. Outside of motion controlled gaming, of course.

The first bolded bit is some impressive inane rambling. Did they leave the gas on?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Which is what you do. Unless he expects no visible bowling marker as a batsman. I don't think we could replicate reactions quick enough to implement this with a controller. Outside of motion controlled gaming, of course.

The first bolded bit is some impressive inane rambling. Did they leave the gas on?

'Impressive inane rambling'; I like that! What I would say is it would be good if we could see what the computer's reticule was doing, so then we could try to read what the spin/swing would do. As it is, you can't tell at all.

It could start off as an ordinary reticule and then show the direction of the spin/swing for a set amount of time that is governed by how good the batsman is, as top batsmen would be far better at reading the ball than tailenders.

What do you think? :)

Edit: I've noticed a lot of reviews saying that the AI rarely leaves its stumps or pads undefended. Well, I was playing the demo again just now and managed to get the openers in all sorts of situations by varying the amount of swing and not turning it up to the maxiumum all the time. I'm positive one of them was out as well, but it was a no-ball. :doh

Again, they need to stop comparing it to 'the great sports games we've seen over the last couple of years' and see the game for what it is - a very good first step (in need of patching), but definitely not a terrible game by any stretch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread