5th Test: England vs Australia at the Brit Oval

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
England properly bottled that 4th Test then. Have to win on one of the flattest decks in the country to win the Ashes. Don't fancy ours much.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
You never know I remember you beat the South Africans at the Oval few years back after they scored 480 odd in first innings

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Was a great Test match that one. Remember it fondly.

Although somehow I don't believe Cook, Bopara and Bell can do what Trescothick, Thorpe and Flintoff did back in 2003.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Bell
Collingwood
Prior +
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

Will be the team that plays, can all but guarantee it. Selectors might get our hopes up by naming 2 other batsmen in the squad (Trott and Joyce hopefully) but then it'll be the same old team that plays. Looking forward to us losing the Ashes 2-1.

P

pcfan123

The Ashes are already done and dusted, this will be a draw or an Oz win. We lost the series in 2 sessions on day1

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Right, if they want to win, England need 5 bowlers. Freddie, Swann and Jimmy are set. I'm not so convinced about Onions, he is just a rookie after all. But if you stick him in you need a 5th bowler, and I just don't feel Broad will do the job. Harmy won't either, and it's not like there are any bright talents kicking about in Domestic cricket at the moment, so Sidebottom it is.

Then you approach the batting. Strauss, Cook and Prior can stay. Dump Bopara and Bell, bring in some new faces. Anyone, anyone at all but Bopara and Bell. Collingwood is on the edge for me. Don't need to play a grinder of a batsman who can save you a test match considering you are trying to win it. Drop him too and get in a dasher.

Possible new batsmen:

Trott
Ramps
Samit Patel
Joyce
Morgan

Does England have anyone else?

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I would be radical as well and play this team:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Hildreth
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad (reprieved for now)
Swann
Anderson
Onions

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I'm getting fed up of our selection now. They've always annoyed me over the years, but througout this series they've been baffling and have ultimately cost us the series. Maybe one day we'll start picking the players in best form and actually playing them in actual Test matches. Bunch of joke selectors.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Did Hildreth do anything after he made his 300 earlier in the season? I had him my Fantasy side and he was doing jack all then I lost interest.

whoami

School Cricketer
Strauss
Denly
Carberry
Trott
Joyce
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Sidebottom

know chance of this happening know.

Mercules

Club Cricketer
I'm meant to be going to the 5th day but I'm not convinced I'll get to see much now.

karnog

International Cricketer
I'm getting fed up of our selection now. They've always annoyed me over the years, but througout this series they've been baffling and have ultimately cost us the series. Maybe one day we'll start picking the players in best form and actually playing them in actual Test matches. Bunch of joke selectors.

This has been the criticism. The selectors keep giving opportunities to the same players. The top 6 has barely changed over the years and thats unfair. Look at how Strauss had to claw back. Then look at Bell. I thought the Lion's game showed some good players who could fight back:

Moore, Denly, Davies, forgot the bowler (he can bat too, made his debut with Onions).

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
1.Strauss
2.Cook
3.Bell
4.Trott
5.Collingwood
6.Prior
7.Flintoff
8.Broad
9.Swann