Good Bye India.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Missing 5-10 balls is an "extra dose" of luck in my book. The guy really didn't deserve to get that score.
I disagree. He still had to score the runs (and he scored about 70 of them). He definitely had some luck but it isn't the same as being dropped or having a missed run out, or the umpire ruling a decision in your favor. Players play and miss all the time in all forms of cricket. You just have to give credit to the bowling and they were unlucky not to snare him, but you can't take credit away from the runs he actually scored.

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
:happy

And selection of Murali Vijay for ODI side is unfair after his failure in T20 WC. Manish Pandey/ Shreevats Goswami/ Manoj Tiwary/ Venugopal Rao would have been good.

T20 cricket cannot be used as a basis of selection or dropping players from ODI cricket or test cricket. Had that been the case, Warner would be in the Aussie ODI side and Nannes would be playing test match cricket!

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
T20 cricket cannot be used as a basis of selection or dropping players from ODI cricket or test cricket. Had that been the case, Warner would be in the Aussie ODI side and Nannes would be playing test match cricket!

Then why did selectors give him chance for T20 World Cup based on IPL performance?

TumTum

International Cricketer
I disagree. He still had to score the runs (and he scored about 70 of them). He definitely had some luck but it isn't the same as being dropped or having a missed run out, or the umpire ruling a decision in your favor. Players play and miss all the time in all forms of cricket. You just have to give credit to the bowling and they were unlucky not to snare him, but you can't take credit away from the runs he actually scored.

But what I heard from some people saying stuff like "Rohit was the only man who could take on the Aussies" is completely rubbish.

It wasn't just luck he got at the start of his innings, he was completely CLUELESS against some good bowling. And then later he took advantage of wayward bowling and suddenly people are saying that he can play good bowling on a bouncy pitch.

He played an innings which is very misleading.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
But what I heard from some people saying stuff like "Rohit was the only man who could take on the Aussies" is completely rubbish.

It wasn't just luck he got at the start of his innings, he was completely CLUELESS against some good bowling. And then later he took advantage of wayward bowling and suddenly people are saying that he can play good bowling on a bouncy pitch.

He played an innings which is very misleading.

Absolutely! I spoke about this on the day of that game itself. Rohit's innings of 79 against Australia was a mere fluke. He looked as bad as the others against the good sustained bowling from Australia. He made wild swishes at many a ball, and he was lucky that none connected and he was able to stay in for a productive innings later on when the bowlers got tired and finished their quota. But the colossal failure of others made people think Rohit Sharma played something like 'the innings of his life'. Rohit Sharma suffers from the same problem that the others suffer - lack of patience and lack of practice (against short pitched bowling).

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This is just T20, it can be anyone's game ( Who expected that Pakistan will come to semis by luck ). Just because a team wins T20 Wcup, it doesn't imply that it's a superstar champion team. :p

I find couple of positives,

1) Raina is getting matured. He should not let this to slip from his hands. He needs to play a dominating anchor role in 50 Over formats @ no 3.

2) Vinay Kumar. Leave the last over he bowled ( Dhoni confused him too much to come in negative line ), his first three overs were very impressive. He has good line & length. He should be making sure that he gets the right guidance. I really hope to see him as the strike bowler of our future.

Negatives

1) Jadeja. He may have a good talent, but it failed to reveal out when it mattered. Like - Hussey @ no 7 got 24 runs in last over to win a match, but this guy @ no 7 was giving strike to Nehra/Zaheer when we needed 19 or 22 runs in last over. Failed to utilize the captain's confidence on him & opportunities given.

2) Fielding - Not at all impressive & none had commitment. Where is the spirit that we had in T20 WC-07? I still remember Karthik's catch Vs SA.

3) Nehra. He is supposed to be the strike bowler but his bowling hardly remained as a threat for the opponents. Where are those yorkers? None knows.

4) Yuvraj/Yusuf - These guys are simply rusty at present. Thinking too much about themselves in stylish/icon-ish way? :sarcasm

5) Harbhajan - Agreed that batsmen struggled to get runs against him on many situations, but his wicket taking ability remains as a big question mark.

We need wicket taking bowlers. One of the best options to keep the opponents in check is to get wickets at regular intervals & we lacked this. When 8-9/11 men fail in a team, no point in blaming Dhoni. He should continue to captain the Indian side atleast till 2011 Wcup. I saw somewhere that they are thinking to replace Sehwag as the skipper. If it happens, brainless selection is going to hit us again & again.

aditya123

National Board President
Then why did selectors give him chance for T20 World Cup based on IPL performance?

Both IPL and the T20 WC are T20 events, if you don`t know yet.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Both IPL and the T20 WC are T20 events, if you don`t know yet.

We had a great experience last year by selecting RP Singh by seeing his form in IPL.
But what happened?

He was EPIC FAIL of ICC World T20, 2009.

Why did the selectors repeat the same mistake?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ishant will definitely come back. He atleast looks a little threatening with his height and bounce (even though he hasnt yet cracked the bowling in shorter formats). Nehra is amazingly inconsistent that its a joke that we are carrying him with the team. When we have trundlers like Praveen as our strike bowler, we definitely have a problem.

RP is gone case. Dont see him play for us in the 2011 World Cup on Indian wickets. Same case with Sreesanth (I thought he was coming back seeing his comeback performance in the test vs SL, but he has failed after that).

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
Zaheer & Ishant have to get themselves to the peak somehow if we want to stand a chance in winning 2011 Wcup. :upray

aditya123

National Board President
Ishant will definitely come back. He atleast looks a little threatening with his height and bounce (even though he hasnt yet cracked the bowling in shorter formats). Nehra is amazingly inconsistent that its a joke that we are carrying him with the team. When we have trundlers like Praveen as our strike bowler, we definitely have a problem.

RP is gone case. Dont see him play for us in the 2011 World Cup on Indian wickets. Same case with Sreesanth (I thought he was coming back seeing his comeback performance in the test vs SL, but he has failed after that).

Sai, the point with Sreesanth is that he played 2 tests since his comeback after injury and did well against SL in both of them. Since then, we`ve only seen him bowl in ODIs where even SA conceded 400 and in the IPL which shows nothing about a bowler`s ability. We still don`t know if he`ll be crap in test cricket given the conditions.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
what happened to agarkar, bring him back.

:facepalm Not again! Lets find some freshers please. It will be a real gamble but it's worth taking a move forward rather than coming backward.

vickyrox

Club Captain
Agarkar was good in the IPL for KKR.
We either need agarkar or pathan kinda player in the team!

Users who are viewing this thread