MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Didn't think it was worth making a new thread just to discuss what I was going to mention, but also didn't find any relevent threads to discuss the exact topic in. So, a thread for random comments on tech (keep the support questions to the http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/technology/solve-your-computer-problem-help-experts-46601.html thread)...

Switched to the Zune software on my PC to play music yesterday and I'm really happy with it. The mini mode is the perfect size and shape to have sitting off to the side, and it looks and works well. Would be nice if they brought the Zune Pass and the hardware out here, perhaps with Windows Phone 7 they will give it a bit more attention.

Suppose most of you would just use iTunes right? I previously used WMP, and gave Songbird a short go.

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Songbird was good but it kept screwing up in small things that were really annoying. Can't remember exactly what but it was annoying to me for me to switch back to iTunes. I liked the add-in sidebars you could have, especially the lyrics one which you can't get in iTunes. You can't even get standalone products that do the same.

I used winamp for a while as well, but then I get a new iPod so I went back to iTunes.

What do you guys think will be announced at the Apple thing coming up? New iPods?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The new Apple TV would be my best bet. The idea is that it will use the iOS and then basically be for on demand content off the internet, rather than the current one which is basically just a media player box for a TV.

White iPhone 4 on Verizon would be my out there bet.

Chewie

BCCI President
It'd have to be a special version of iOS like how the iPad has a special version doesn't it? Because tvs are much higher resolution than the other products that use iOS. Apple TV hasn't really done nearly as well as the other apple products so I suppose they'd want to build up that brand as well.

The Verizon iPhone is certainly possible, but considering that the image used to promote it is as below, it makes sense that the announcement will be mostly based around the iPods.
500x_appletar.jpg

An iPod Touch with the new screen and facetime is probably predictable, and maybe some update of the nano and shuffle lineups.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I use Media Monkey. Though it leaves a lot to be desired, nothing would make me desperate enough to switch back to iTunes.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
I always disliked iTunes because its basically built to be used perfectly on Windows once, after that one time, its crashes and just becomes unusable. My old laptop was in a pretty bad way but as soon as I double clicked iTunes it crashed the whole damn thing!

I'm on an Apple Macbook now, and I've got to say its a dream to use, but then again, I very rarely use my laptop to listen to music.

Onto Wednesdays conference, the new iPods have got to be up there with announcements, seeing as the Macbook/iPod rebate thing ending on the 7th anyways. I'd like to see more about this Apple TV (Or iTV if rumours are correct) as it could be quite interesting. I'd like to see the white iPhone being finally released, I wouldn't get one, but I wouldn't mind seeing if the screen is "washed out" due to the white, there has been reports that it does.

sachin_rocks

International Cricketer
I always disliked iTunes because its basically built to be used perfectly on Windows once, after that one time, its crashes and just becomes unusable. My old laptop was in a pretty bad way but as soon as I double clicked iTunes it crashed the whole damn thing!
Haha Stop blaming your os's fault on itunes!!

Chewie

BCCI President
Why not? Apple software has always been poor on Windows, and iTunes is no exception. It works great on a Mac, but on Windows it is slow and crashes a lot.

I've never had it crash for me, and it's only slow for me because I have 32591 songs (165GB)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I've never had it crash for me, and it's only slow for me because I have 32591 songs (165GB)
I have about 30GBs and it is extremely poor (this is on a quad-core with 4 gigs of RAM--hardly a slow machine).

Furthermore, Apple designed the software pretty badly. For example, the first time you open iTunes and import files, it automatically starts analyzing for gapless feedback, rendering the application useless. There's no way to cancel this operation and there is no way to turn a setting off that prevents this operation from occurring. This is just one isolated example, but it's a good one as far as demonstrating the poor design decisions they made.

Users who are viewing this thread