Mar 26 - Sri Lanka v England (Quarter-Final 4)

khalek

Panel of Selectors
This is a very defendable total but England will have to bowl accurately and give nothing away to SL batsmen. Fielding will also have to be top notch.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Happy with 230. Just need to get Sangakkara and Jayawardene early and we've got a brilliant chance.

Owzat

International Coach
Trott is gone...If he had gone at a run-a-ball or even 95% SR....England could have been 235-240 by now....

I'd hardly blame Trott for pace of innings considering he's score about 40% of the total.

95% would have made Trott on 109 so added 23 runs, but then he might not have got to 86 let alone past it if taking more risks.

Morgan made 50 off 55 balls but should have been out 4-5 times.............................. Still the 'man of the moment' is making sure we bat out the 50 overs! :D What misuse of resources by England, the second top scorer from the last match comes in for the last NINE balls :facepalm Whether you would have picked him or not, ask yourself what role someone like Wright performs when he's batting down at eight and bowling under four overs per ODI to date

230 to win, England will have done very well to defend that with four bowlers and several players who've only played one World Cup match to date - Wright, Tremlett and Tredwell. With the extra batting you expect a bigger total.

And just a quick mention for Prior who, unshackled from the whole opening shambles, scored 22 off 19 balls. Play keepers in their best batting role, not try and make a theory (pinch-hitting) work - or in football parlance, play the players in their best position

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
England had defended a low total against the Saffers but i don't think Sri Lanka is the team whom against you can defend this total while they are playing at their home so for me Lankans are more than favorites for this match

Owzat

International Coach
Happy with 230. Just need to get Sangakkara and Jayawardene early and we've got a brilliant chance.

I can't seem them bottling it so early wickets could prove important. I fear Strauss will run his usual formula, get through the quicks, get a spinner on and try to muddle through the fifth bowler allocation and not play the situation. I just hope he realises when he badly needs a wicket and turns to a bowler to get him one before the game is gone.

----------

England had defended a low total against the Saffers but i don't think Sri Lanka is the team whom against you can defend this total while they are playing at their home so for me Lankans are more than favorites for this match

Much is made of games against South Africa and West Indies, but this is a side on home turf, who have plenty of spinners and are used to playing them, and facing just four bowlers. South Africa have shown once more they can bottle any game, West Indies can't play spin as they showed in their last match.

Comparing this game to past games is like comparing bananas and grenades

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
56/3 off the last 10 overs :facepalm
And luke wright after swann, prior ?? He doesn't bowl well , then why was he even picked at the first place ?? Just to bat at no. 8 ?? :mad

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
Trott did really well to lift up England to this score, after the kind of start they got. Morgan also looked pretty good, I don't think the total is not enough for a win, we saw yesterday its not just the total but pressure which can put big teams into trouble even when they're chasing small totals. England has to be spot on in the field and not give freebies, it could be a close game.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah , the Kiwis were at top notch yesterday in the field with Guptill setting the tone . We don't even have Collingwood to do that here .

Sureshot

Executive member
I'd hardly blame Trott for pace of innings considering he's score about 40% of the total.

95% would have made Trott on 109 so added 23 runs, but then he might not have got to 86 let alone past it if taking more risks.

Morgan made 50 off 55 balls but should have been out 4-5 times.............................. Still the 'man of the moment' is making sure we bat out the 50 overs! :D What misuse of resources by England, the second top scorer from the last match comes in for the last NINE balls :facepalm Whether you would have picked him or not, ask yourself what role someone like Wright performs when he's batting down at eight and bowling under four overs per ODI to date

230 to win, England will have done very well to defend that with four bowlers and several players who've only played one World Cup match to date - Wright, Tremlett and Tredwell. With the extra batting you expect a bigger total.

And just a quick mention for Prior who, unshackled from the whole opening shambles, scored 22 off 19 balls. Play keepers in their best batting role, not try and make a theory (pinch-hitting) work - or in football parlance, play the players in their best position

Indeed, no idea what they were doing with Swann. Whilst I think he's a decent striker of the ball, he's nowhere near as good as Prior or Wright.

We're about 20-30 runs short of a really good total, but it's competitive, if nothing else. But, we will have to bowl and field like our lives depended on it.

Not sure what Strauss was doing :lol

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Indeed, no idea what they were doing with Swann. Whilst I think he's a decent striker of the ball, he's nowhere near as good as Prior or Wright.

Wow , the ball swings first up . Hello Anderson ?? :rolleyes

Last edited by a moderator:

bluequin

School Cricketer
I don't think it's enough I'm sorry to say - not with our bowling line up as it is.
Good innings from Trott, I just wish he'd picked up the rate a little from the pp onwards.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
My goodness how swann react even after a less than half chance like he will die :D

----------

I think Bresnan is showing every body that where you should not bowl :D

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Only saw England's last 5 overs, but from the looks of it, it went a lot like NZ's. Now they just need to replicate NZ's effort in the field.. 4 byes through the keeper's legs as I write this.

Users who are viewing this thread