ICC Champions Trophy 2013 - England & Wales

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Also although i know the reasons why it happens, but it's always funny to see in England every time India or Pakistan come to England, how all these Asians swarm to grounds all over the country. Ha you wonder where they be when England are playing other countries in a home series.

Isn't it obvious? They don't go to England's matches against other countries because they are not England fans. They are India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka fans.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I thought the Indians bowled out of their skins yesterday to lift the title. 129 never looked enough tbh.

----------

Thought windies team was pretty good, but their T20 insticts got the better of them.

You my friend, are bang on target.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
So, who do you think looks the best ODI side right now? India took an unheralded squad to the tournament. People talk of teams going through transition phases. This Indian side is going through that as well and some credit must go to Dhoni and the selectors for scripting such a success story with a team in transition. Only 4 players from that 2011 World Cup side were a part of England 2013. Compare this to sides like Australia and SA who have been always hailed as teams with superior bench strength and expected to go through such transition with relative ease as opposed to sides like India. Australia`s so-called bench strength looks woefully out of depth. SA seemed way out of league with a couple of key players out through injury. England, SA, West Indies, SL all had far more experienced squads than India this time around.

India were a dominant side in this tournament and even better than the side that won the 2011 World Cup. I generally don`t jump the gun but if this side can keep up the intensity, they will dominate for quite a while. The energy and flair that they brought to this tournament was refreshing. I don`t see any reason why India should`nt be called the top dogs of ODI cricket inspite of being current holders of both major ODI trophies (with two different squads and under different conditions).

tbh, war's attitude to india is just an intellecualized version of untouchables. I remember having an arguement with him after the england series, he thought that was india entering a spiralling decline, and the windies would surpass them, I claimed there was far too much talent in india for that to realistically happen.

sometimes thing I come across trolling just because I don't jump on the hate india band-wagon but a 4-0 spanking of australia and a CT trophy thanks to new guys like vijay, rohit, kumar, dhawan and jadeja doesn't exactly make me doubt my own judgement of their team.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
My rankings for Indian players purely based on individual performances. Not considering the warmups.

1. Ravindra Jadeja
2. Shikhar Dhawan
3. Ishant Sharma
4. Ravichandran Ashwin
5. Virat Kohli
6. Rohit Sharma
7. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
8. Dinesh Karthik
9. Suresh Raina
10. MS Dhoni
11. Umesh Yadav

War

Chairman of Selectors
That is because we don't care about England and only support India/Pakistan

skater said:
Isn't it obvious? They don't go to England's matches against other countries because they are not England fans. They are India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka fans.

Yes fellas, i never said i didn't know why, the first portion of that post highlighted that. I was simply just saying it was amusing to see it happen. Which in a lot of ways shows how limited a talent pool cricket has to choose from.

A small minority of British asian's like Bopara/Panesar/Solanki/Kabir Ali/Rashid/Chopra/Khan etc would actually feel English enough to support and play for England, while the entire black population doesn't care about it & is all for football, baskbetall and athletics. It would have been nice if the opposite was true.

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yes fellas, i never said i didn't know why, the first portion of that post highlighted that. I was simlply Just said it was amusing to see it happen. Which in a lot of ways shows how limited a talent pool cricket has to choose from.

A small minority of British asian's like Bopara/Panesar/Solanki/Kabir Ali/Rashid/Chopra/Khan etc would actually feel English enough to support and play for England, while the entire black population doesn't care about it & is all for football, baskbetall and athletics. It would have been nice if the opposite was true.

One reason why England is a good place to hold world events is the different nationalities living here. There is no coincidence that India v Pakistan was played in Birmingham, where there is a huge British Asian population.

I have been to a Test match between England and India, one which India won, and it was a brilliant atmosphere on the last day because, quite simply, Indian cricket fans are brilliant.

War

Chairman of Selectors
So, who do you think looks the best ODI side right now? India took an unheralded squad to the tournament. People talk of teams going through transition phases. This Indian side is going through that as well and some credit must go to Dhoni and the selectors for scripting such a success story with a team in transition. Only 4 players from that 2011 World Cup side were a part of England 2013. Compare this to sides like Australia and SA who have been always hailed as teams with superior bench strength and expected to go through such transition with relative ease as opposed to sides like India. Australia`s so-called bench strength looks woefully out of depth. SA seemed way out of league with a couple of key players out through injury. England, SA, West Indies, SL all had far more experienced squads than India this time around.

India were a dominant side in this tournament and even better than the side that won the 2011 World Cup. I generally don`t jump the gun but if this side can keep up the intensity, they will dominate for quite a while. The energy and flair that they brought to this tournament was refreshing. I don`t see any reason why India should`nt be called the top dogs of ODI cricket inspite of being current holders of both major ODI trophies (with two different squads and under different conditions).

IMO i still don't think their is top side in ODI cricket, all the top 8 teams are still very patchy for reasons i articulated in my previous post. I just see it as case of India simply playing good tournament cricket in both the 2011 cup and champs trophy and being able to win. However India ODI series record since the 2011 world-cup has been very average, just recently Pakistan & England generally had India in all sorts of problems in home odi's.

Plus i can't see how this C-Trophy winning was better than the w-cup winning side. One side had a wealth of proven experienced players another side had a set of young players whose futures we don't know what will be of it.

Yea potentially some new India players have stepped up and won this tournament, however history tells me and should most astute fans that one should wait & given the peculiar failures of such players in such positions.

Dhawan is having a great start, but he wouldn't have been the 1st Indian opener in recent time (Jaffer, Gambhir) to have a hot streak then afterwards international bowlers work him out & he is sent to the scrap heap. Not saying Dhawan will suffer same faith, but given that India struggle so bad in history to find competent openers, its a wait & see approach.

Similar problem with fast bowlers, B Kumar is having a good start but so did so much of them before they were sent to the scrap heap of pace bowling mediocrity.

India always looking for an all-rounder & Jadeja was up to a few months ago was a bits a pieces cricketer. Now he seems to be garnering a alarming bandwagon. Do Indian fans truly believe he is the "all-rounder" you have been looking for?

Same thing can be said about Sharma opening & D Karthik @ 4?. Is Sharma for all his talent truly now settled in a position as an opener & is Karthik really now your long term # 4 over someone like Yuraj?

As aforementioned more questions than convincing answers.

----------

One reason why England is a good place to hold world events is the different nationalities living here. There is no coincidence that India v Pakistan was played in Birmingham, where there is a huge British Asian population.

I have been to a Test match between England and India, one which India won, and it was a brilliant atmosphere on the last day because, quite simply, Indian cricket fans are brilliant.

Yea maybe, but surely England cricket could have been better if they could have had more support from such races & thus tapped into the talent of the black and asian communities better.

----------

tbh, war's attitude to india is just an intellecualized version of untouchables. I remember having an arguement with him after the england series, he thought that was india entering a spiralling decline, and the windies would surpass them, I claimed there was far too much talent in india for that to realistically happen.

sometimes thing I come across trolling just because I don't jump on the hate india band-wagon but a 4-0 spanking of australia and a CT trophy thanks to new guys like vijay, rohit, kumar, dhawan and jadeja doesn't exactly make me doubt my own judgement of their team.

Ha boring, i just criticized every team in the world to some degree yet the part of India gets all the coverage. As it is on most cricketforums their is too much touchy India fans or apologist on the internet smh.

If you & others thinks all those "Indian talent" is the finish article that's fine. Forgive me for not being convinced - at least not yet.

Still using India' 4-0 win over AUS who have so much internal mess, to be a sign of progress of this India team is another major faux pas. You didn't see AUS fans claiming to have turned the corner after they also white-washed India 4-0 in AUS 2011/12.

I stand by what i said about the windies team & their ability to step past India on the talent level in upcoming years, my only worry about them is that their strengths that made them T20 champions can be their Achilles heel in other format. Looking forward to that tri-series next week with these two sides & sri lanka actually.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
All I have to say is that, all you people doubted India at the start of the Champions League. And I was one of the only people that said they would win and they were by far the most strongest team.

And I was right, won the Champions Trophy without a single game lost. I was bang on...

Someone needs to change my alias from "V-Bookie Team" to "Guru"

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
India has shown their real power.No longer could they be described home lions.They have shown that they could win in foreign soil as well.India has found a convincing opener Shikhar Dhawan but Rohit Sharma has not been very convincing.The middle order is convincing. Kohli and Dhoni has been so good and are in form. D.Karthick was good throughout the tournament.Suresh Raina need to improve and need to prove his ability in international games.Seamers show is moderate. I Sharma has proved that he is good in seamers friendly pitches.B Kumar has been good as well. U Yadav has showed of in some games. Spinners has really shown their power. Ashwin has been good. Jadeja has proven that he is a good option and could be considered as a main stream bowler as well. Jadeja has shown his batting ability as well. He played the role that Yuvraj had played in the WC 2011.So the new and improved team India has shown their power.Hats of to the selectors as they played the crucial role in the transfer of the old guns to the convincing youngsters.:clap

Rohit and Dhawan's opening partnership is a key architect for India's victory. As much as I have despised Rohit in recent times, he has found his place in the XI as an opener and should continue there. Eventually he will start getting the big scores, but this tournament he has performed exceeding expectations and has actually helped India win.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
All I have to say is that, all you people doubted India at the start of the Champions League. And I was one of the only people that said they would win and they were by far the most strongest team.

And I was right, won the Champions Trophy without a single game lost. I was bang on...

Someone needs to change my alias from "V-Bookie Team" to "Guru"

Its Champions Trophy mate. :)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
India is nowhere near being finished article yet. But the hope and promise for them to serve India long like how their predecessors did is highly evident seeing the way they play their cricket. Also some of the guys who had great potential but who failed to make consistent impact, are starting to slowly blossom now (like Rohit Sharma and Dinesh Karthik). Ishant needs time now more than ever. The more they back him, he will start delivering consistently. Though he received lot of flak for being pedestrian in the final, still he got those two crucial wickets and he also was MOM in the semifinal vs Sri Lanka. He needs backing, and he needs guidance which I think Joe Dawes and Dhoni can give him. The core of our bowling attack is forming with Bhuvi, Ishant, Yadav, Ashwin and Jadeja.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India

I haven't lived in England for any considerable period of time, but from my experience in America, I think this has to do with whether those people are immigrants or first-gen British Asians. First-gen people (people born in that country) are more likely to support the country of their birth. I think all the players you mentioned are first-gen Brits.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
IMO i still don't think their is top side in ODI cricket, all the top 8 teams are still very patchy for reasons i articulated in my previous post. I just see it as case of India simply playing good tournament cricket in both the 2011 cup and champs trophy and being able to win.
Oddly enough, I agree with you. I think the teams are mostly evenly matched and the results are more based on who the form team was on that day. That said, India was the form team and looked unbeatable in the group stages and the semi.

However India ODI series record since the 2011 world-cup has been very average, just recently Pakistan & England generally had India in all sorts of problems in home odi's.
You should've stopped with Pakistan. Sure, they caused us trouble. England on the other hand have been as useless as a paper towel in a shitstorm in India (2 wins in 11 games since the World Cup).

I stand by what i said about the windies team & their ability to step past India on the talent level in upcoming years...
This I find laughably ridiculous. More than one respected West Indies commentator (Cozier, Holding, Bishop, et. al) has lamented about the total lack of structure or talent in the Caribbean. I fail to see where you think the talent is going to come from. But I'm always willing to listen.

Singh94

School Cricketer
I haven't lived in England for any considerable period of time, but from my experience in America, I think this has to do with whether those people are immigrants or first-gen British Asians. First-gen people (people born in that country) are more likely to support the country of their birth. I think all the players you mentioned are first-gen Brits.

I don't think thats really true. Myself and most of my friends are first/second gen Asians and we all support India. I am yet to find a British Indian who supports the England cricket team. It's all due to being raised as an indian fan

----------

Anyway, what I find amusing is that the English commentators/pundits have quickly forgotten the no-ball which broad bowled to dismiss kane williamson. If that had been given, England would have probably been eliminated from the tournament.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Indians everywhere in the world.Indian team is being called by other countries to generate more revenue for the board.Indian team will have support wherever they play,maybe not much in Pakistan and Bangladesh as they get in other places.

Users who are viewing this thread