ICC World T20 Bangladesh 2014

rajatGod512

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
^ I am hesitant about India reaching the semi-finals .

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
I'm expecting an Aussie team like:

1. Warner
2. Finch
3. White
4. Watson
5. Bailey
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin
8. Faulkner/Starc
9. Johnson
10. Coulter-Nile
11. Hogg

With Maxwell moving up the order when big hitting is required. I'd pick Starc over Faulkner unless extra batting is required, although Johnson, Coults and Starc can all hit it big regardless.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Final will be between India and Australia, with India winning the world cup.
(Pakistan will not even enter semifinals :p)

Keep dreaming....

India will not even get their hands close to that piece of silver. Out start will be pathetic. As usual, the captain will defend by saying "there was too much dew, and Ravindra Jadeja bowled well. We are still improving as a team and the team needs support".

C Boomer

Club Captain
You're obviously an Irish fan, thoughts on your chances of getting past the qualifying stage?

Confident ! :yes

----------

Chances of Ireland going through to the Super10 look more probable than that of Zimbabwe from Group B. Sad part is that only 1 of Afghanistan and Bangladesh can make the cut as they've been drawn in the same group. Afghanistan was the best bowling side in the Asia Cup and not seeing them compete with the best in this league will be very disappointing. Hopefully they'll make the cut!

Totally agree, would love to Afghanistan there too ! :yes

PokerAce

Banned
In a T20 Event there are no favs, just a lot of teams to keep an eye out for, all whom winning would be considered Par for the Course. In this regard I fail to write off any of the test teams. The 4 test teams from the Sub-continent have an obvious opportunity as they are in familiar conditions. I would urge everyone to keep an eye out for Afghanistan, I was super impressed with them in the Asia Cup and in shortest version where the gap in quality is bridged the most, Afghanistan are a team I am really excited about. I would expect Afghanistan and Zimbabwe to qualify for the super 10. I did read a lot of support for Ireland and while I do not know a lot about Ireland Cricket, but I remember them doing very well in 50 over World Cup in the Subcontinent and thus I am excited to see them play. Again Ireland getting through would be no surprise. At the very least I believe the two qualifiers would be either Bangladesh or Afghanistan and Zim or Ireland.

Once in the second round, NZ have a super team, and we all know the qualities of Aus, SA and Eng and none can be written off. The WI have a lot of players that play in the IPL and they would be familiar with the conditions. So really I cannot write off anyone.

However given the way SL are going I would pick them as favs, but not by much and any of the aforementioned teams beating SL, would still be par for the course.

What I do see is that teams batting second will have an advantage. First knowing the target always helps and then there is the dew that will make it harder to bowl in the evening. However depending on when matches take place the dew factor may apply to both teams.

Last edited:

scratch978

Club Captain
Best playing XI for Indian team, with batting order:-

1. Shikhar Dhawan
  2. Ajinkya Rahane
  3. Virat Kohli
  4. Suresh Raina
  5. Yuvraj Singh
  6. Rohit Sharma
  7. MS Dhoni [Wk] [C]
  8. Ravichandran Ashwin
  9. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
  10. Mohammed Shami
  11. Amit Mishra

Note :- M S Dhoni can move up the order according to situation.

Bench :- Ravindra Jadeja, Stuart Binny, Varun Aaron, Mohit Sharma

Last edited:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I like it. Just that Jadeja should be in, in place of Rohit Sharma. And, Aaron can come in place of Kumar if he goes for runs in initial matches.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't know about Raina at 4. Did you guys read his recent interview ? He seemed so conflicted about his role.

Link: India Cricket News: Suresh Raina eyes comeback after Sourav Ganguly support | ESPN Cricinfo

At one point he is talking about how he needs to take his time at the crease and score more runs, and then at another point he starts giving excuses about his 20-30 runs knocks !!

Quoting him - "I am a 30-ball 50 batsman and I would never try and become a 60-ball 50 batsman". That just made me go wow. Do we really want someone with this mentality coming in when the team is 2 down in the first over ?? I would put Yuvraj at 4 (if he is playing), and Raina at 5 or even 6.

scratch978

Club Captain
Quoting him - "I am a 30-ball 50 batsman and I would never try and become a 60-ball 50 batsman". That just made me go wow.
Do we really want someone with this mentality coming in when the team is 2 down in the first over ?? I would put Yuvraj at 4 (if he is playing), and Raina at 5 or even 6.

Even Yuvraj is of the same mentality

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
The most probable team to appear would be;
Rohit Sharma :bat:
Shikhar Dhawan :bat:
Virat Kohli :bat:
Yuvraj Singh :ar:
Suresh Raina :bat:
M S Dhoni :wk: :c:
R Jadeja :ar:
R Ashwin :bwl:
Amit Mishra :bwl:
B Kumar :bwl:
Shami Ahmed :bwl:

----------

And on the aggression factor I think Yuvraj would try show some more responsibility and try anchor the innings:yes.Not much hope on Raina:rolleyes

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Even Yuvraj is of the same mentality

I have to disagree. Yuvraj at his peak has played many match-winning knocks coming in difficult situations (read top order collapses). We have proof that he can play long-ish innings when required and build partnerships. Ofcourse, that was Yuvraj at his peak. I don't know what sort of form he has shown in the domestic games recently

But Raina's words show that he is not even bothered with trying to improve his game. I don't know how else to interpret his words. If he is going to continue whacking his way out of trouble, then he shouldn't be promoted up the order IMO

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I was watching some 'Jai Ho' shows on Star Sports. Anyone having a look at these shows, would immediately tell you why India needs a Sehwag & Gambhir at the top of the order.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
I was watching some 'Jai Ho' shows on Star Sports. Anyone having a look at these shows, would immediately tell you why India needs a Sehwag & Gambhir at the top of the order.

I agree on Gambhir.Yes we need experience,some one to lead the youngsters.But given the current form not Sehwag,May be we need to wait till the end of IPL and see how he do.
On Jai ho,they show the winning matches of India,most of them of some time ago(as India hasn't been winning now a days :lol ).Without these shows too we know how great they have been some years ago and remember he made a double century too not so long ago.But looking at the form Viru is now at,He should not be taken but Gambhir could be:rolleyes.
And speaking of need of experience,Yes India need do exp but the players should be someone reliable.At the current time there is no ""single"" experienced Indian player who could be relied on,I can guarantee.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
There is definitely no room for Sehwag. He never had the greatest technique and negligible footwork, and his brilliance was largely based on his hand-eye coordination. From what I have read, his hand-eye has taken a big hit. He has been playing with his glasses on. And has been unable to 'take apart' even the mediocre domestic attacks.

Gambhir might be a fair candidate for a comeback though. He has shown fairly decent form in Ranji Trophy. Top scorer for Delhi with 1 century and 3 halfs. His case is strong mainly because of experience though, because quite a few other batsmen did much better than him overall.

PokerAce

Banned
Best playing XI for Indian team, with batting order:-

1. Shikhar Dhawan
  2. Ajinkya Rahane
  3. Virat Kohli
  4. Suresh Raina
  5. Yuvraj Singh
  6. Rohit Sharma
  7. MS Dhoni [Wk] [C]
  8. Ravichandran Ashwin
  9. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
  10. Mohammed Shami
  11. Amit Mishra

Note :- M S Dhoni can move up the order according to situation.

Bench :- Ravindra Jadeja, Stuart Binny, Varun Aaron, Mohit Sharma

Jadeja on the bench !!

Jadeja should defintely play ... NoHit is the obvious one to give way. Also, I am not sure about Bhuvenshwar Kr at his pace in T20. He has never been one renowned for stopping runs, and at his pace on those slow wickets he could be in trouble. While I would definitely start him, but I will keep and open head about Varun Aaron. He has pace, raw pace, and at times there is no substitute for that. He could be rather useful.

Users who are viewing this thread