DBC 14 Modding for PC

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
And the majority of those graphical downloads are ones that edit in content that the game did not come with the licenses for - that's just never going to happen officially.

Oh you mean like all the player names and likenesses in CA?

Big Ant will add their disclaimer; if you see a copyright violation let us know and we'll remove it. The sponsors aren't going to care. It's free advertising for them.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Oh you mean like all the player names and likenesses in CA?
It's very different having actual logos of teams and companies in the game via patches, and likenesses made by adjusting sliders.

Ross has said in the past that they don't have the resources to handle the necessary vetting supporting user generated content like that.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I know what he said but firstly we're not talking about adding licensed content via official patches and secondly I don't think they would have to adopt an approach of approving every graphic before the game was allowed to use it. They won't be doing that for the Steam version.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I know what he said but firstly we're not talking about adding licensed content via official patches
Well you essentially are once you have an in game ability to download 'user modifications' to the graphics of a console game.

secondly I don't think they would have to adopt an approach of approving every graphic before the game was allowed to use it. They won't be doing that for the Steam version.
Well we don't know if they would be supporting Steam's 'official' modification ability with the Steam Workshop, which even opens the door for people trying to sell modifications to games.

All the indications seem to be just slightly opening the door for the same external modifications that are technically violations of the end user agreements that virtually every other PC game has.

Making the jump to the semi-endorsement that adding such things to a console game would do - which they've already said would require vetting, combined with already being near the edge legally with the Cricket Academy, is just something I'd never see happen.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
As I've said, mods are basically illegal for the users. When you agree to the terms and conditions, you agree not to change the game.

So Big Ant aren't liable: you are.

You aren't gaining any money from it, so the actual owner of the IP aren't likely to come after you (though technically they could), and they can't go after Big Ant because they didn't do it.

It's a degree of separation that allows it to happen.

grkrama

National Board President
which even opens the door for people trying to sell modifications to games.
That just gave me an idea bit off topic, Planet cricket can may be use this chance to create a few Planet cricket mods that are either donation ware or to be bought via a PC store or steam workshop if its possible.
Like a planet cricket stadium, more customized kits and player likeness of whoever is buying it.(ofcourse after making @Ross to agree not to sue PC)

Westindies

Club Captain
As I've said, mods are basically illegal for the users. When you agree to the terms and conditions, you agree not to change the game.

So Big Ant aren't liable: you are.

You aren't gaining any money from it, so the actual owner of the IP aren't likely to come after you (though technically they could), and they can't go after Big Ant because they didn't do it.

It's a degree of separation that allows it to happen.

Is this the same chief who had all plus more and licensed teams? :D :D

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He obviously cannot get enough of your insightful posts

sobti

School Cricketer
And i was about to buy a Ps3 for this game when i see this coming.....

June, come soon. :D

went to Tata Croma twice to buy new PS3 but..turned back home to watch some DBC14 videos to keep myself calm to play this game on PC instead..

Seems to be correct decision as of now..no offense to console players

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
went to Tata Croma twice to buy new PS3 but..turned back home to watch some DBC14 videos to keep myself calm to play this game on PC instead..

Seems to be correct decision as of now..no offense to console players

What offense? It seems you are the one watching videos of console owners play the game ;)

zaff4444

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What offense? It seems you are the one watching videos of console owners play the game ;)

Yeh and he's probably laughing aswell with the game currently bug-infested,you's guinea pig's lol :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread