Your Cricket Discuss Your Cricket

Cricketwes

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Took 3-56 today off 10.2 overs. Oppos got 188 all out (one guy hit 107), but in the field, we dropped 9 catches (a couple more difficult than most), including the guy who hit 107 about 5 times (all at long on to cow corner). I scored 3 batting at 10, needing over 5 an over since we were about 140-8 with ~8 overs to go and tried to hit one for six, didn't quite middle it and was caught at long off (was hoping the man would drop it since they already dropped 5 catches, inc. me once).

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bowled some good in swingers and out swinger during the practice session.u really lost my rythm in the match and bowled an over conceding 15!

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
I am pure batsman who opens the innings for our local club.
I am playing after 3 years in our club.
Been struggling to play some real fast bowling, able to rotate the strike, but struggling to connect big shots.
I am able to smash spinners & medium pacers, but struggling against fast bowling.
Any suggestions @Ali. @Markkkkk

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Been struggling to play some real fast bowling, able to rotate the strike, but struggling to connect big shots.
I am able to smash spinners & medium pacers, but struggling against fast bowling.
Try to play in the V... If you can strike some glorious cover drives and straight drives.. You can easily hit the ball for six.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

The one thing I can tell is that your whole philosophy towards opening is wrong. You have one job as an opener and that is to get stuck in. As my coach says 20/0 after 10 overs is better then 70/3 after 10 (in a 50 over match). Your job is not to hit the big shots and destroy opposition (if you can it's a plus) so maybe rethink your approach if you're focusing more on wanting to hit big. Technically against fast bowlers the only ability you need (besides watching the ball) is timing. As an opener facing fast bowlers timing is the most important aspect and once you learn to time a ball instead of hitting it is when fast bowling becomes a heck of a lot easier. For me when a proper fast bowler comes on the first change I make is I make my backlift extremely small, the toe end of my bat doesn't go above my knee. This helps get you into the mindset of 'timing' instead of 'hitting'. When actually facing the key to facing pace is simply to know the gaps, know your strengths and patience. For me I am extremely good on my legs, the hook and a cover drive so what do I do? Everything short/on a good length outside the stumps is left, full is driven (often to the gap where there are no fielders) and anything on leg stump regardless of length is put away. The best thing about facing pace is you require no effort to hit boundaries, watch how effortless Kane Williamson is (And FYI if you want to copy a technique he is the best for an opener) when he strikes the ball. You don't need strength just wait for a ball in which you can confidently put in the gap. Also you said you have no problem against medium and spin bowlers so there's no harm in seeing off the genuine quicks and cashing in on the other bowlers. Even if you're 10 off 30 you've done your job as an opener (see off the first spell) and you can make up for the dot balls by dominating the easier bowlers.

So yea just focus on timing instead of hitting, picking gaps and waiting and also understanding that your role is to see off the opening bowlers.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
@Markkkkk i got your point, but we generally play in T20 tournaments, so can't take much time to settle down.
But will take you valuable advice in timing the ball, rather than slogging.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
@Markkkkk i got your point, but we generally play in T20 tournaments, so can't take much time to settle down.
But will take you valuable advice in timing the ball, rather than slogging.
If you think you don't have time for settling, then the best way to score is to just strike the ball into gaps and hit the ball for a four. Being a fast bowling all-rounder, I think it is more demoralizing for me to see a good ball go for a four along the ground rather than it going for a six. Hitting fours builds confidence which is useful to hit sixes in the latter parts of the innings.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
First cricket match in six weeks - just a gentle friendly against a scratch side, but I got myself a nice little 11 not out off 9 balls, followed by 6-1-18-2. The bowling figures would have been more like 6-2-12-4 if the umpire had remembered to signal byes and if my fielders had not suffered chronic dropsy!

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Our side was pretty weak today - we lost by about 170 runs I think. It didn't help that the skippers agreed to six overs per bowler in a 40 over game.

In the end, I had figures of 6-1-25-4; the rest of the team managed 34-2-255-3 between them (and two of the three were serious boundary catches by yours truly - the third was an umpiring mistake). Sadly, I managed only nine runs with the bat owing to a rare example of uneven bounce.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Any advise on how to play leg spin bowling.... The bowler always pitches on and outside leg stump (probably because he knows that I am quite good in the off side) and he is a massive turner but not a googly bowler... I can't score runs off him and as a result I come in pressure and get out..

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
Any advise on how to play leg spin bowling.... The bowler always pitches on and outside leg stump (probably because he knows that I am quite good in the off side) and he is a massive turner but not a googly bowler... I can't score runs off him and as a result I come in pressure and get out..
Play on Back foot.

Users who are viewing this thread