India tour of England 2018

Bhumi

Club Captain
I predict if opener dismissed in the first 15
Overs average first innings score will be 290 but if opener Digs it well for 15+ over
We can see 437 first innings score

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I don't understand why there is so much doubt around Shami and the apparent fact that he's overrated. Even if he looks like he's put on weight and isn't looking right while he's bowling, he is still a valuable asset to the Test team and particularly this tour as well. He took a five-for in his last outing. He was excellent in the series in South Africa being the joint-highest wicket taker taking 15 wickets in 3 matches @ 17.06.

There is plenty of hype surrounding Umesh and it's understandable. His form saw a massive spike in the last few months, and he has raw pace which can trouble the England batting lineup. He's a wicket taker, but there's some truth to what @bumrahguy said about him despite his over exaggeration of Bumrah and bashing of Umesh. Umesh leaks A LOT of runs whilst picking up wickets. And when he has a bad day it's disastrous for the team and there is a ton of reliance on Ishant.

Nevertheless, my point is that Shami HAS to play. He needs to fill in the role of Bhuvi as only he and Ishant have played in England before. And the fact that people are rating Umesh above Shami on this particular tour is baffling. Shami is a lot better than Umesh, only thing is Umesh has extra yards of pace and can hit the deck hard. Personally, I'd play Shami over Umesh any day depending on the pitch. He needs to play to cover either Umesh or Ishant if they have a bad day. Hardik Pandya cannot fill in that role, and the best man for that is Shami.

I wont take the Bumrah fanboy's comments too seriously. I`ve been watching cricket for far too long and guys like Bumrah, Mallinga, Sohail Tanvirs have come and gone very often. Bumrah is a good T20/ODI bowlers but to call him a test XI certainty is nonsense. Lets analyze Umesh's career. He might have been around for a while but he was only ever given a constant run in 2016 where he was really good at home. If you watched (not just stats) the home series against England and Australia in 2016, he was the best seamer from all the sides back then. Yet, inexplicably he did not get to play a single game when the conditions actually were helpful in SA. Any decent fast bowler would have taken wickets on those wickets in Cape Town and Jo'burg. So, you cannot use stats to compare Bumrah's 3 tests and Umesh's home season which was basically flat tracks. Apart from the 2015-17 seasons, Umesh only featured in one-off tests here and there since 2011. His case is not like Ishant who has played 80 tests. If Umesh had the chance to play at Cape Town/Jo'burg, he would've been really dangerous. Sadly, this team management, just like the modern Indian audience confuses test and ODI performances. That is why someone like Bhuvi was dropped for Bumrah at Centurion. That is also why Pandya is thought of as a test match cricketer. Also, Bumrah's control is overrated. He was the first to leak runs after Bhuvi had SA 12/3 at Newlands. To decide on stats of someone like Umesh, he must be given a longer run in helpful overseas (not Australia) conditions like England. If I`m correct, he hasn't played in SA, England or NZ since his debut in 2011! How is it fair to judge his stats just on averages. He was the most threatening seamer at home in the last 17-odd tests. To judge a cricketer, you have to look beyond stats. Umesh, the LOI bowler is not better than someone like Bumrah but he should be in the XI 9/10 times ahead of Bumrah in tests.

Some of India's best test performances overseas came in the 2002-2011 period. If you look at those, you will find several instances of Indian seamers with little statistical backing winning matches for us. Agarkar, RP Singh, Sreesanth, Munaf and even Irfan (as late as Perth 2008) won test matches overseas for us. They were effective bowling units but hardly statistical legends. And then you had Zak who also is no legend on the averages list but was truly effective in tests and one of the best of his era in the 2007-2011 period. You don't always need an attack of Holding, Marshall, Akram and Warne to win test matches. You need people stepping up. That is why I feel these cumulative averages of an attack and stats don't reveal the potential of this bowling attack. Its likely that they won't perform well but that won't be due to lack of potential. We've travelled with much weaker attacks and won tests in England/NZ/Australia/SA in the modern era. For instance, just take a look at the bowling attacks in Adelaide (2003), Headingley (2002) and Perth (2008). If you look at their numbers, they'd look very underwhelming. Also, the opposition batting in those series were infinitely better than the England/Australia of today. Yet, those attacks did their job.

Bhumi

Club Captain
I don't understand why there is so much doubt around Shami and the apparent fact that he's overrated. Even if he looks like he's put on weight and isn't looking right while he's bowling, he is still a valuable asset to the Test team and particularly this tour as well. He took a five-for in his last outing. He was excellent in the series in South Africa being the joint-highest wicket taker taking 15 wickets in 3 matches @ 17.06.

There is plenty of hype surrounding Umesh and it's understandable. His form saw a massive spike in the last few months, and he has raw pace which can trouble the England batting lineup. He's a wicket taker, but there's some truth to what @bumrahguy said about him despite his over exaggeration of Bumrah and bashing of Umesh. Umesh leaks A LOT of runs whilst picking up wickets. And when he has a bad day it's disastrous for the team and there is a ton of reliance on Ishant.

Nevertheless, my point is that Shami HAS to play. He needs to fill in the role of Bhuvi as only he and Ishant have played in England before. And the fact that people are rating Umesh above Shami on this particular tour is baffling. Shami is a lot better than Umesh, only thing is Umesh has extra yards of pace and can hit the deck hard. Personally, I'd play Shami over Umesh any day depending on the pitch. He needs to play to cover either Umesh or Ishant if they have a bad day. Hardik Pandya cannot fill in that role, and the best man for that is Shami.
You will know as soon as test starts if England bats first -- I think it's better to pick any bowler but MS

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I wont take the Bumrah fanboy's comments too seriously. I`ve been watching cricket for far too long and guys like Bumrah, Mallinga, Sohail Tanvirs have come and gone very often. Bumrah is a good T20/ODI bowlers but to call him a test XI certainty is nonsense. Lets analyze Umesh's career. He might have been around for a while but he was only ever given a constant run in 2016 where he was really good at home. If you watched (not just stats) the home series against England and Australia in 2016, he was the best seamer from all the sides back then. Yet, inexplicably he did not get to play a single game when the conditions actually were helpful in SA. Any decent fast bowler would have taken wickets on those wickets in Cape Town and Jo'burg. So, you cannot use stats to compare Bumrah's 3 tests and Umesh's home season which was basically flat tracks. Apart from the 2015-17 seasons, Umesh only featured in one-off tests here and there since 2011. His case is not like Ishant who has played 80 tests. If Umesh had the chance to play at Cape Town/Jo'burg, he would've been really dangerous. Sadly, this team management, just like the modern Indian audience confuses test and ODI performances. That is why someone like Bhuvi was dropped for Bumrah at Centurion. That is also why Pandya is thought of as a test match cricketer. Also, Bumrah's control is overrated. He was the first to leak runs after Bhuvi had SA 12/3 at Newlands. To decide on stats of someone like Umesh, he must be given a longer run in helpful overseas (not Australia) conditions like England. If I`m correct, he hasn't played in SA, England or NZ since his debut in 2011! How is it fair to judge his stats just on averages. He was the most threatening seamer at home in the last 17-odd tests. To judge a cricketer, you have to look beyond stats. Umesh, the LOI bowler is not better than someone like Bumrah but he should be in the XI 9/10 times ahead of Bumrah in tests.

Some of India's best test performances overseas came in the 2002-2011 period. If you look at those, you will find several instances of Indian seamers with little statistical backing winning matches for us. Agarkar, RP Singh, Sreesanth, Munaf and even Irfan (as late as Perth 2008) won test matches overseas for us. They were effective bowling units but hardly statistical legends. And then you had Zak who also is no legend on the averages list but was truly effective in tests and one of the best of his era in the 2007-2011 period. You don't always need an attack of Holding, Marshall, Akram and Warne to win test matches. You need people stepping up. That is why I feel these cumulative averages of an attack and stats don't reveal the potential of this bowling attack. Its likely that they won't perform well but that won't be due to lack of potential. We've travelled with much weaker attacks and won tests in England/NZ/Australia/SA in the modern era. For instance, just take a look at the bowling attacks in Adelaide (2003), Headingley (2002) and Perth (2008). If you look at their numbers, they'd look very underwhelming. Also, the opposition batting in those series were infinitely better than the England/Australia of today. Yet, those attacks did their job.

Probably the post of the year. Good to see a fan not just dine on numbers but actually watch games and then make conclusions.[DOUBLEPOST=1533113277][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't know how many English supporters are here but that Rashid selection has my head turning!

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
With the series about to start, I've a feeling that:

(1) Virat Kohli will continue to struggle
(2) Adil Rashid will not have a good Test (Indian batsmen usually play leg spin better in Tests)
(3) Shikhar Dhawan will keep his place (at least for the first 2 Tests)
(4) Kuldeep Yadav will have to make way for either Ashwin/Jadeja (at least for the first 2 Tests)
(5) Joe Root will continue to prove to be India's nemesis
(6) Alistair Cook will have a big hundred in one of the Tests
(7) Ishant Sharma will have a fairly decent outing
(8) Mohammed Shami will struggle
(9) Stuart Broad might trouble the Indians more than James Anderson
(10) Lokesh Rahul might turn out to be the shining star for India, albeit in a losing cause

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Overcast conditions are back it seems ... just in time for the tests. Not a green wicket though

Eng batting :(

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Rahul at 3

WTF ... Pujara dropped? For Dhawan

aditya123

National Board President
Defensive team selection. Dhawan gets picked. Why play three openers in the very first test. When one of them is Dhawan, this is an atrocious selection. Pujara might have not been flash abroad but still offers more than Dhawan. Kuldeep should've played instead of Pandya who offers hardly anything. Why is it that only guys like Pujara and Rahane get treated like dirt by this team management?

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I am surprised at Pujara being dropped. He had Kohli's backing going into the game. And Dhawan got a pair in the test.

Barring the top 3, Rest are quite predictable

aditya123

National Board President
I am surprised at Pujara being dropped. He had Kohli's backing going into the game. And Dhawan got a pair in the test.

Barring the top 3, Rest are quite predictable

Dhawan had a pair going into this test for Christ's sake! Pujara at least had some batting time behind him.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Isn't that a good thing? I reckon batting conditions would be best on the 2nd/3rd day?

Not a green pitch though .. I was hoping that we would bat first regardless of conditions and put up a brave performance to get the momentum going

Lets see how we do with the new ball ... need to get the top 3 asap before they settle in and grind us into the ground

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Dhawan had a pair going into this test for Christ's sake! Pujara at least had some batting time behind him.

It is astonishing really

They might both score single digit scores, but Dhawan will also play single digit deliveries, while Pujara might stick around for 50+ which would be invaluable

I was so happy for a moment when Kohli said Rahul is in. And was deflated when he went on to say Pujara is dropped

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Brilliant team selection! :lol[DOUBLEPOST=1533117121][/DOUBLEPOST]Pandya barely justifies his place in the limited overs side, let alone tests. The Dhawan for Pujara is not even worth mentioning. It's the usual bull sh!t to be honest!

Users who are viewing this thread