Bready Cricket Club, Bready, Northern Ireland

Aug 27, Mon Ireland vs Afghanistan, 1st ODI
Civil Service Cricket Club, Belfast

Aug 29, Wed Ireland vs Afghanistan, 2nd ODI

Aug 31, Fri Ireland vs Afghanistan, 3rd ODI

Afghanistan
T20I squad: Asghar Stanikzai (c), Mohammad Shahzad, Usman Ghani, Hazratullah Zazai, Shafiqullah Shafaq, Samiullah Shinwari, Mirwais Ashraf, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Aftab Alam, Fareed Ahmad

Afghanistan
ODI squad: Asghar Stanikzai (c), Mohammad Shahzad, Javed Ahmadi, Ihsanullah, Rahmat Shah, Samiullah Shinwari, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Aftab Alam, Sayed Shirzad, Dawlat Zadran, Wafadar Moman

Ireland teams not announces yet

Bhumi

Club Captain

Ireland pick uncapped Delany for T20Is and ODIs against Afghanistan

August 17 2018

prv_1534500134.jpeg

Joshua Little, who hasn't played T20Is since January last year, finds a place in the squad for the shortest format of the game.

David Delany, the uncapped 20-year-old medium pacer, has been picked by Ireland for both the three-match T20I and the three-game ODI series against Afghanistan, commencing on August 20. Joshua Little, the left-arm paceman, has also made it to the T20I squad.

Delany picked up a couple of wickets in the second T20 game for Ireland 'A' against Bangladesh 'A' in Dublin this week. Delany has played 10 T20s, snaring 8 scalps. Delany, who made his List A debut against Northern Knights last year,has also taken part in six List A matches, bagging two wickets. As a result of an injury to Little, Delany was also drafted into the Ireland set-up for the T20Is versus India "in a development capacity" last month.
Meanwhile, Little, who hasn't played T20Is since January last year, finds a place in the squad for the shortest format of the game. The promising pacer had withdrawn his name from the T20I series against Afghanistan in 2017 as he wanted to pursue higher education. However, he returned back to cricket and played in the Under 19 World Cup held in New Zealand in 2018 and ended up with seven scalps.

James Shannon, who impressed in the first T20I of the two-match series against India with a brisk fifty, finds a place in both the squads. The Belfast-born batsman has played just a solitary ODI and that came against Pakistan way back in 2013. Stuart Poynter, the Durham and Ireland 'keeper-batsman, who was a part of Ireland's squad for the T20I series versus India, has been left out.

Ireland will depend on the likes of Paul Stirling, Gary Wilson and Kevin O'Brien to do the bulk of the scoring. Stirling, in particular, has been in form, evidenced by the 440 runs he has amassed for Middlesex in the T20 Blast so far. He has also collected 399 runs at an average of 39.9 in the ODI format this year. On the bowling front, the Ireland camp will hope for the veteran pacer, Boyd Rankin, to put up good performances in both the formats. Tim Murtagh, the experienced Middlesex pacer, bolsters the pace attack in the 50-over format.

"The T20I squad is one with an experienced spine surrounded by young, exciting and talented players who want to show they belong in the international arena," Andrew White, the chief selector said. "We're very keen to see what younger players like David Delany and Josh Little can bring to the set-up. Josh, for instance, brings us some much-needed variation with his left-arm pace and ability to bat powerfully down the order, and as we know variation is key to success in the T20 format.

"Although we're in discussions about more, at this point we only have nine T20 Internationals in the schedule between now and the T20 WC Qualifier tournament in 2019, so it is essential from a squad and individual perspective that we are providing some of our key players as much experience in the format as possible," he added.

"A number of players, like Andrew Balbirnie and Andy McBrine, have stood out with outstanding performances during this recent Ireland Wolves series and we hope they can bring their form into the Afghan series. We are also hoping Paul Stirling can bring his red-hot form from county cricket with Middlesex to the international side. On his day he can have a devastating impact upon the opposition. Like the T20I squad, the selectors had a look at a wide pool of candidates and chose the squad best equipped for the challenge ahead. Again, we are looking at what young David Delany can offer as variety," he noted.

All the three T20I matches will be played at the Bready Cricket Club stadium in Northern Ireland. Th first of the three ODI matches will take place in Belfast on August 27. The second and third match of the rubber will also be played at the same ground on August 29 and 31 respectively.

The T20 International squad

• Gary Wilson (c), Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, David Delany, George Dockrell, Josh Little, Andrew McBrine, Kevin O'Brien, William Porterfield, Boyd Rankin, James Shannon, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Stuart Thompson.

The one-day international squad

• William Porterfield (c), Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, David Delany, George Dockrell, Andrew McBrine, Tim Murtagh, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Boyd Rankin, James Shannon, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Gary Wilson.

[URL='https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/103654/ireland-pick-uncapped-delany-for-t20is-and-odis-against-afghanistan&text=Ireland pick uncapped Delany for T20Is and ODIs against Afghanistan&via=cricbuzz'][URL='https://plus.google.com/share?url=https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/103654/ireland-pick-uncapped-delany-for-t20is-and-odis-against-afghanistan'][URL='https://www.planetcricket.org/forums/whatsapp://send/?text=Ireland%20pick%20uncapped%20Delany%20for%20T20Is%20and%20ODIs%20against%20Afghanistan%20-%20https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cricbuzz.com%2Fcricket-news%2F103654%2Fireland-pick-uncapped-delany-for-t20is-and-odis-against-afghanistan%20%28Sent%20via%20Cricbuzz%29'][URL='https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/103654/ireland-cricket-team-pick-uncapped-delany-for-t20is-and-odis-against-afghanistan#top'] [/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Last edited:

Mr C P McQuillan

School Cricketer
I'm going to the ODi on the 27th at Stormont. To my shame its my first time attending a match at Stormont. Any guidance on the set up of the day there would be welcome. Is it a bring loads of grub and have a picnic kind of affair or it a bit more burger vans etc. My gf who is going is a super picky veggie hence the query.

Bhumi

Club Captain
I'm going to the ODi on the 27th at Stormont. To my shame its my first time attending a match at Stormont. Any guidance on the set up of the day there would be welcome. Is it a bring loads of grub and have a picnic kind of affair or it a bit more burger vans etc. My gf who is going is a super picky veggie hence the query.
If I were of you, I can go to see T20i I think Afghan had edge over Ireland in that format.

Anyway have fun

Bhumi

Club Captain
https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news...istan-resume-budding-rivalry-1st-t20i-preview (8.30 pm IST)

Ireland, Afghanistan set to resume budding rivalry
August 20, 2018

Ireland have a poor record against Afghanistan in T20Is.
If you're a fan of Afghanistan and Ireland cricket, 2018 will go down as a year to remember. Less than 12 months since being awarded Full Member status by the ICC, the two teams took their first step in cricket whites, and against two stalwarts like Pakistan and India. The result didn't go their way but the fact that they'd pulled off a journey all the way up until a Test debut was worth all the applause.

As teams yearning for more cricket against top sides, Ireland and Afghanistan are on the same side of the boat. And yet, there appears to be some room for a budding rivalry in limited-overs, with each looking over the shoulder of the other when it will come down to qualification for a big multi-team event.
As far as T20I numbers are concerned, Afghanistan hold the aces. They have a 7-3 head-to-head record, with the last three successive victories coming in the bilateral series in 2017, played in India. Afghanistan also have a far superior overall record in the format - winning 44 games out of the 66 they've played - and have a 100% win-record this year (5 wins in 5). Ireland have played one T20I more than Afghanistan, but have only 27 wins to show for themselves. The 2018 tally is abject too - with 1 win, 4 losses and a tie in six fixtures.

But with a T20 WC still more than a year away, there's an opportunity for Ireland - currently ranked 17th - to rework their record against the eighth-placed Afghanistan in their own climes.

When: Ireland vs Afghanistan, 1st T20I, August 20, 2018, 4:00 PM Local time

Where: Bready Cricket Clu, Bready, Northern Ireland
What to expect: Cold cloudy evening with chances of showers. The Bready Cricket Club has hosted just two international games before - one of which was abandoned without a ball being bowled. The only game that was played was a T20I back in 2015, which Ireland lost to Scotland by six wickets.

Team news

Ireland
The bowling attack of the home side has two young additions - the 20-year-old uncapped medium-pacer David Delany and the 18-year-old left-armer Joshua Little - who debuted against Hong Kong two years ago. The two tyros will complement the senior likes of Boyd Rankin and Stuart Thompson.

Squad: Gary Wilson(c), Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, David Delany, George Dockrell, Joshua Little, Andy McBrine, Kevin O Brien, William Porterfield, Boyd Rankin, James Shannon, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Stuart Thompson

Afghanistan
Besides chasing series honours, there are a few personal milestones up for grabs for a few of the batting stalwarts. All-rounder Mohammad Nabi is just 5 runs away from 1000 T20I runs, while Samiullah Shenwari and captain Asghar Stanikzai need 34 and 37 runs respectively for the landmark.

As for the bowling unit, Rashid Khan proved to be a thorn in Ireland's flesh - with 9 wickets in three games in India.
Squad: Mohammad Shahzad, Usman Ghani, Hazratullah Zazai, Shafiqullah Shafiq, Asghar Stanikzai(c), Samiullah Shenwari, Mirwais Ashraf, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Aftab Alam, Farid Malik

What they said:
"I don't think opportunity or performance are more important than results. We're playing Afghanistan at home, there's a good rivalry between the two countries, and the series we've played against them has been close. Anytime you play for Ireland, against Afghanistan at home, you know you want to win it." - Ireland captain Gary Wilson.

Resources
© Cricbuzz

Bhumi

Club Captain
zazai hits 33 ball 74 for Afghanistan in 18/18 vs Ireland
I will post link for live game or info in audio video // 2nd game today at 8.30 pm ist

First game Ireland beaten by 16 run vs Afghanistan spin .

Last edited:

Bhumi

Club Captain
Free
cricketgetway.com

You need to register first

Ireland in their own back yard beaten 2/0
Ireland surrender vs mujeeb and Rashid 79 all out in 2nd game
I20i

Afghanistan 160
Zazai 82.Asghar Afghan ( Changed name) among run
Chase 4 wickets

Ireland 79 allout

Bhumi

Club Captain
Last t20i washed out but tomorrows ODI Ireland might beat Afghanistan because last series they beat Afghanistan in Asian sub-continent 2/1.over -all, Ireland beat Afghanistan 9 times in ODI while, beaten 8 times vs AFG.

Wafadaar and Zazai will debut (Fast bowler) for Afghanistan in ODI

Last edited:

Bhumi

Club Captain
Afghanistan under pressure right from 2nd over.Ireland won toss.

AFG.
After 10
25/2

Last edited:

Bhumi

Club Captain
Afghanistan 197 for 4
211/9
227/9

MURTAGH 10/1/31/4
Rankin 3 for 42

Ireland need 228

61 for 3 off 21

Last edited:

Bhumi

Club Captain
Both O'Neill dismissed run out-
Neil 11 & Kevin 22 against better Afghanistan fielding.

Nabi/Rashid and Mujeeb-
too much for home team on slow wicket.all 3 pick, 2 w each.

Ireland 198 all out Lost by 29 runs only Balbirnie with 54 and Wilson 38 shines.

Balbirnie also took 4 catches to joined big list of international star who took 4 catches (other than keeper ) in an innings.

Proteas J.Rhodes took 5 at Bombay vs Westindies in hero cup.ODI.

Cong.Afghanistan for 1/0

Bhumi

Club Captain
Cong Ireland to level 1/ 1

Afg.16/4 to 100/7
182 for 9

Some terrific bowling by All Ireland bowlers.

Ireland 183/7
Simi singh 36*,Balbirnie 60
Rashid 3 for 27 off 10

Desider tomorrow

Ireland seamer Murtagh with county Experiences now took 8 for 54 in 2 game @2.22 must be record

Users who are viewing this thread