Boxing Thread

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Being more than 10 years the junior I expected no less from him tbh. Now that this is out of the way, any fight other than against either Wilder, Fury or Luis Ortiz from here on in would be a distraction IMO.
Eddie Hearn has said Joshua v wilder would be biggest fight in uk history, do you go along with that. He also stated fury’s fights are all boring and no boxing involved. He said stylistically Joshua v wilder would be much better fight?

He also said Joshua wants to fight wilder next, and Joshua said once wilder beats fury he wants to fight him and get match arranged before the fury / wilder fight in December

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Eddie Hearn has said Joshua v wilder would be biggest fight in uk history, do you go along with that. He also stated fury’s fights are all boring and no boxing involved. He said stylistically Joshua v wilder would be much better fight?

He also said Joshua wants to fight wilder next, and Joshua said once wilder beats fury he wants to fight him and get match arranged before the fury / wilder fight in December
Hmm not sure about that...Bruno v Lennox Lewis, Eubank v Nigel Benn, Froch v Groves come to mind. Although I'm rarely tuned in to the business side of things so in terms of gross/fight purse it might be since there's far more money in boxing nowadays being a sport that is run by the casual fans and of course heavyweights are the superstars of boxing and of sport in general.

But yeah I totally agree, styles make fights and in terms of viewing pleasure Wilder v AJ is more far more likely to produce fireworks.

El Loco

ENG....
What an end to Groves v Smith. 7th round KO for Smith, first time I've seen him fight live and didn't realise how effective his reach was, really potent from long range.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
What an end to Groves v Smith. 7th round KO for Smith, first time I've seen him fight live and didn't realise how effective his reach was, really potent from long range.
That was tonight and not a Saturday?

El Loco

ENG....
ITV box office ?? Just don’t understand why only boxing seems to be PPV?
Yeah it seems to be a given nowadays that world title fights are no longer free to view. Even when there's hardly any promotion in the lead up!

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Yeah it seems to be a given nowadays that world title fights are no longer free to view. Even when there's hardly any promotion in the lead up!
That final point is shocking really, just blatant greed. Oh like most sports really !

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
I mean as someone who's into sport in general did you know that this fight was on?
Excellent point, no I didn’t
At least sky promote their fights , didn’t see any promotion by ITV?

El Loco

ENG....
Excellent point, no I didn’t
At least sky promote their fights , didn’t see any promotion by ITV?
Exactly! I might be wrong but as far as I've seen all ITV do is show the occasional 5 second ad and for the most part just a static screen with the event details hardly any fight montages, build-up, face-offs or anything! Then have the gall to expect people to pay for it.

This was a good fight and I'm sure would've caught the British public's imagination if exposed properly. Smith is actually promoted by Eddie Hearn too he was out there tonight. Say what you want about him but one thing he does is actually put bums on seats!

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Exactly! I might be wrong but as far as I've seen all ITV do is show the occasional 5 second ad and for the most part just a static screen with the event details hardly any fight montages, build-up, face-offs or anything! Then have the gall to expect people to pay for it.

This was a good fight and I'm sure would've caught the British public's imagination if exposed properly. Smith is actually promoted by Eddie Hearn too he was out there tonight. Say what you want about him but one thing he does is actually put bums on seats!
Yeah Eddie and Barry both know how to promote sporting events. What you said about itv is shocking and totally agree. If only BBC could compete for the rights but then would they promote it any better ?

El Loco

ENG....
Yeah Eddie and Barry both know how to promote sporting events. What you said about itv is shocking and totally agree. If only BBC could compete for the rights but then would they promote it any better ?
I remember BBC used to broadcast a bit of boxing back in the day but can't really recall what the build-up was like. I think David Haye's first loss to Carl Thompson was shown on BBC IIRC. Do you know if there's any reason why they stopped showing it?

HBO just announced the other day that they're dropping the sport after 45 years which is a massive shock as they had become the cornerstorne of live boxing coverage, which leaves a gap wide open though.
Eddie Hearn has opened up a new streaming outlet called DAZN (pronounced The Zone :p) and has been steadily adding foreign talent to his stable so can expect that to takeover in the coming years.

Users who are viewing this thread