India tour of Australia - 2018/19

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The tour starts from November 21st and ends on January 18.

Tour will kick start with 3 T20i followed by 4 tests and concludes with 3 ODIs.

Fixtures - https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-series/2699/india-tour-of-australia-2018-19/matches

India T20I Squad:

Virat Kohli(c), Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Dinesh Karthik, Rishabh Pant, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Washington Sundar, Krunal Pandya, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav, K Khaleel Ahmed

Australia T20I Squad:

Aaron Finch(c), Alex Carey, Ashton Agar, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Chris Lynn, Glenn Maxwell, Ben McDermott, D Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa

India Test Squad:

Virat Kohli(c), Murali Vijay, Lokesh Rahul, Prithvi Shaw, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Hanuma Vihari, Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant, Parthiv Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar

PS: I couldn't find any thread for this, let me know if there is one.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Well. India 'A' vs NZ 'A' started today. Shaw, Agarwal and Vihari scored half centuries and Parthiv is closer. Rahane failed yet again. Is it high time to replace him for someone say Vihari who is in good form ? Jinx got lot of opportunities and never really looked good since past 1 year or so.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Rahane is no more Rahane. Not able to make runs against domestic level bowlers. I think his time has come.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
This is the place to play Kuldeep in all tests. Finger spinners are useless in Aus. Mind you, the current Aussie batters aren't anywhere near the Aussie batters of any era prior.

B

Bigby Wolf

Australia still the favorites for me in the test series despite not having their two best batsman in Warner. Australia's pace quartlet is right up there and if you add Lyon to the lineup then they are capable of 20 wickets of any batting team on any surface.

India's batting is heavily depended on one man these days and unlike one day cricket his heroics with the bat don't guarantee you a win.The bowlers did their job by picking up 60 wickets in South Africa and 98 wickets in England perhaps the only thing they can improve on is knocking the tail early just like England... Australia have a long tail as well the likes of Starc,Cummins etc. are more than handy with the bat and can make a significant difference between the two teams.Our batting lineup has failed on two successive overseas tours if somehow they can turn it around alongside the bowlers who are actually doing well then there is a good a chance of winning the series.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Australia still the favorites for me in the test series despite not having their two best batsman in Warner. Australia's pace quartlet is right up there and if you add Lyon to the lineup then they are capable of 20 wickets of any batting team on any surface.

India's batting is heavily depended on one man these days and unlike one day cricket his heroics with the bat don't guarantee you a win.The bowlers did their job by picking up 60 wickets in South Africa and 98 wickets in England perhaps the only thing they can improve on is knocking the tail early just like England... Australia have a long tail as well the likes of Starc,Cummins etc. are more than handy with the bat and can make a significant difference between the two teams.Our batting lineup has failed on two successive overseas tours if somehow they can turn it around alongside the bowlers who are actually doing well then there is a good a chance of winning the series.
My thoughts exactly. It's strange to see people (ex-cricketers including) talk about this being our best chance to win a series in Australia. Statements such as those do not hold weight after two disappointing series. Our inability to wipe out the tail coupled with a brittle and not-so-confident batting line up will prove to be our downfall again. It would either be 3-0 or 2-1 in favor of Australia.

Plus Lyon has had great success against India - just like how Moin Ali has. Decent spin bowling gets our batsmen nervous.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
People can try all that anti-jinx or whatever crap it is. Fact is, if India don't win the test series, it will be very very disappointing. I can't name one batsman who is a certainty in the Aussie line up. Marsh, Khawaja? Both aren't the fittest either. Their bowling line up is envious but the batting is non existent. They'll do mighty well to include Renshaw. Best chance ever to win down under and win big.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is indeed the best chance to win a series in Australia

But I have feeling that it will once again be a case of almost there (haath ko aaya, moonh na laga) because we r just not bothered with addressing our issues

The primary issue of mediocre captaincy can't be fixed. But i hope VK and the 'idiot coach' can pick the right team and the right men in the starting XI

The scheduling is really stupid as well. Tests sandwiched between T20 and ODIs. As an Indian fan one should have been very optomistic of the chances this time, but the failures in the last two series continue to hang in the air.

I am more confident about our women's team winning the T20 world cup than I am of winning the test series down under

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
This is indeed the best chance to win a series in Australia

But I have feeling that it will once again be a case of almost there (haath ko aaya, moonh na laga) because we r just not bothered with addressing our issues

The primary issue of mediocre captaincy can't be fixed. But i hope VK and the 'idiot coach' can pick the right team and the right men in the starting XI

The scheduling is really stupid as well. Tests sandwiched between T20 and ODIs. As an Indian fan one should have been very optomistic of the chances this time, but the failures in the last two series continue to hang in the air.

I am more confident about our women's team winning the T20 world cup than I am of winning the test series down under

Vijay should be given one last chance and so should Rahane,if they fail,then their time is over[DOUBLEPOST=1542534049][/DOUBLEPOST]Honestly I thought we had better chance of winning in England than in Australia. English team were very inconsistent,but then Curran happened. Aussie though is going through transition still has the second best win loss ratio after India in Thier home in 2010s.
And we are talking about winning it,we should first try to draw.
Australian bowling line up:- Starc,Cummins,Hazelwood,Coulter Nile,Lyon

Well we can only hope that the pitches have become ultra fast since our 2014 tour.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Continuing further, Harsha Bhogle too sides with the majority.

But I'm not buying it. Bowling is not a problem, even though we historically have had problems with getting the lower order batsmen dismissed cheaply. It's the batting that worries me. Unlike ODIs, you rarely see one act of brilliance turn the tide around. In Tests, you need 2-3 batsmen to come together and make it happen. There is only so much that V.Kohli can do single handedly. Agree that Australia's batting is fragile too but
  • Their lower order batting is better than ours
  • Their bowlers are good at not letting the opposition's tail wag. So once we are 4-5 down, there's not much to add to the team's total.
That, in my opinion, is what will decide the series.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Vijay should be given one last chance and so should Rahane,if they fail,then their time is over[DOUBLEPOST=1542534049][/DOUBLEPOST]Honestly I thought we had better chance of winning in England than in Australia. English team were very inconsistent,but then Curran happened. Aussie though is going through transition still has the second best win loss ratio after India in Thier home in 2010s.
And we are talking about winning it,we should first try to draw.
Australian bowling line up:- Starc,Cummins,Hazelwood,Coulter Nile,Lyon

Well we can only hope that the pitches have become ultra fast since our 2014 tour.
Time to look beyond Rahane. But I think Vijay should open instead of T20 slam boy KL Rahul. And Coulter Nile is not in Tests.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I think England's tail was containing All Rounders rather than bowlers. That's why we failed to remove them. Curran feels like he's batting too down then what he has shown so far. Rashid can also bat. I think Kuldeep could be the problem maker for any tail ender or all rounder like Curran and Rashid because he is tough too pick.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
As a neutral observer (although admittedly a bit on India's side during this series), I am looking forward to seeing some Virat Kohli action in Australia. I still remember his battles with Mitchel Johnson. It's great cricket. Also, looking forward to seeing Prithvi bat in Australia. I think people are a bit too quick with the Tendulkar comparisons there. He looks a special talent surely. But growing up in the 90's I can safely say that with Tendulkar, it wasn't just the ability, it was the disposition, the attitude and the kinds of bowlers he faced. Either way, would love to see the teenager give some back to Australia.

Quick question, is there a reason Dhawan wasn't part of the test side? I've always favoured him as an opener for India in all formats. I think the management has been a bit harsh on him as far as Tests are concerned.

From the Aussie perspective, I hope they don't tone down the sledging too much. Obviously they needed to have a closer look at their habits and cricketing culture. But, when it's done right, it's nice to see a bit of chatter in the middle, as long as it isn't over the line. It's half the fun of watching test matches, esp in Australia.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Quick question, is there a reason Dhawan wasn't part of the test side? I've always favoured him as an opener for India in all formats. I think the management has been a bit harsh on him as far as Tests are concerned.
There are many reasons, not just in test but other formats aswell. You people might find this funny or kiddish (lol) but I have noticed something in Dhawan which is actually the fact.

Dhawan has been a last match opportunist for most of his career. I honestly believe he has more potential than what he exhibit on the field. Apart from few series and ICC tournments, where he has performed consistently, he has been the last match performer for India. He will play horribly throughout the series and when the time comes and captain and management say, 'hey you have to prove yourself or else you won't be the part of the team in next series', he generates some miraculous power in him and outperforms everyone in that last match of the series. There are many examples for this, research it online and you'll get to know.

He eats up a position of a quality player and later justifies his role through his performance in the last game lol. My question is, if you can perform in the last game, why not perform from start of the series? And if same thing happens to some junior players like Karun Nair or Agarwal or Pandey, they endup warming the bench for whole series and get dropped in the next series. This is the logic of BCCI selection committee.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  • Their lower order batting is better than ours
  • Their bowlers are good at not letting the opposition's tail wag. So once we are 4-5 down, there's not much to add to the team's total.
I disagree with this. Starc and Cummins are no Sam Curran who has a natural allrounder ability and known to produce 30-40 runs to the teams total consistently even in county cricket. Starc and Cummins can bat, but they are far too inconsistent to be any real serious threat like a lower order batsman like a Woakes or Curran who are far capable at adding a good chunk of runs to the total down the order. I think you are overestimating Australia's lower order. They are far less powerful than England's lower order which contains allrounders which allows them to bat deep.

And with Bhuvi back in the side, his batting ability also reinforces India's lower order. He is a far more potent batsman than Starc/Cummins. Having Jaddu/Ashwin and Bhuvi definitely raises more hopes for a much improved lower order batting performance.

Australia's fast bowlers are lethal for batsmen down the order but as said before Bhuvi and Ashwin/Jaddu are no slouch with the bat as well.

Users who are viewing this thread