My thoughts for the future iteration for BA cricketing series

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
One thing I would love but I'm sure won't happen is first person catching / fielding.

You know the pre-game bits in PUBG where you get apples to throw? I've been bouncing them off things and getting trying to get into position for the catch and doing running overhead catches, sort of thing.

Can't actually take the catch, of course, but it looks / feels perfect when it bounces off my chest.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
One thing I would love but I'm sure won't happen is first person catching / fielding.

You know the pre-game bits in PUBG where you get apples to throw? I've been bouncing them off things and getting trying to get into position for the catch and doing running overhead catches, sort of thing.

Can't actually take the catch, of course, but it looks / feels perfect when it bounces off my chest.
The throwing mechanic in PUBG would be great for fielding, including the switch to an underarm throw.

Hitting a direct hit for a run out would be just as satisfying as getting a kill with a grenade.

Last edited:

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Hitting a direct hit for a run out would be just as satisfying as getting a kill with a grenade.

Holy crap yes, strong agree. And I think if diving slip catches were possible that would blow my mind. I'd stand there for a full innings for a few good chances.

It's not going to happen, though. Would prob eat up a load of dev time and only add value for single player fielding.

ETA

hmm, although I guess it depends on how jarring flipping from bowler to first person fielder would be.

I can't imagine a lot of players would want to flip into first person mid delivery.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Holy crap yes, strong agree. And I think if diving slip catches were possible that would blow my mind. I'd stand there for a full innings for a few good chances.

It's not going to happen, though. Would prob eat up a load of dev time and only add value for single player fielding.

ETA

hmm, although I guess it depends on how jarring flipping from bowler to first person fielder would be.

I can't imagine a lot of players would want to flip into first person mid delivery.
One way I think fielding would be improved is thinking about grouping what you are able to do into close fielding (slips, keeper, around the bat, return catches), inner ring fielding and outfielders.

For close fielding I think a mild slowing of the action with a XYAB above possible catchers (including keeper). You trigger which one you want to go for the catch. I think this would work better than the current mini-game (it's one of the reasons I use fully auto fielding at the moment). If you've seen the glory kills in Doom I'd imagine it working in a similar way. You essentially trigger an animation but the flow of the game is hardly interrupted. Something like that could perhaps incorporate variation to catches, dives, drops.

Something similar for outfielders, with the XYAB selection determining how you attempt to gather the ball. Depending on fielding ability of the player in question might mean some try a slide and gather and end up looking like fools. Likewise you might be able to choose between triggering a player to attempt a safer jumping tap back or a riskier tap back catch. I like the simplicity of being able to do something spectacular with the minimum possible input. When the ball is in hand a PUBG style mechanic would be great.

For inner ring fielders, mostly thinking those in your Mid On, Deep Mid On distance, I'd put Short Mid Ons in the close bracket. A balance of the two. I do feel like a system that prevents the game from being slowed down, unless absolutely necessary, is the best way to go. So for a catch there is keeping the default camera, like for close fielding but with ball in hand you are able to control the throwing action.

It might not necessarily be something that enhances test matches but in the shorter formats, where all round fielding is a key component, it could really add some enjoyment were the fielding a bit more dynamic.

In terms of switching the POV I think it has to be as smooth as a camera angle switch. Maybe an option for first-person or third-person over the shoulder could at least mean that those not interested in a first person switch could choose.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I've mostly played solo career type games, and I've never got used to the feel.

I don't know if it's different playing team games but in solo fielding I always feel like I'm so slow to get off the mark. Haven't found a way to get dives happening.

It feels quite a lot like my real fielding, which these days is so slow I'm nearly going backwards.

graham

Club Captain
My thoughts are just make the game work stright out the box , no waiting for the holy grail of updates.
To many bugs for the pick up and buy people , cricket game fans show so much patience .
The academy creations teams,grounds etc just doesn’t work correctly it’s become a bit of nighmere to use.
We live in hope !

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I'm not that fussed about commentary, I'd sooner see more on-field sound (umpires, players, crowd etc), but if there is going to be commentary it'd be nice to have a different way of doing it. I think making it non-repetitive is really tough because you'd need waaaaay too much audio to fill the length of games. So, I guess my suggestion for the commentators to have defined roles and perhaps greater focus on major incidents and achievements. Taking the three in Ashes, Michael Slater is obviously the anchor role but how about having James Taylor chip in with stats and Mel Jones with some more general comments or opinions.

For example; Virat Kohli scores a hundred against you. James pitches in with some stat information (minutes, boundaries, balls faced, 30th career century). Then Mel comes in with 'well, it's a fine knock but you've got to remember he was dropped on 3.' It'd be a nice, but cruel, reminder of something that happened earlier in the match. Even though incidents might be repetitive it could feel more specific to events in each match rather than the generic commentary for every action.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
The throwing mechanic in PUBG would be great for fielding, including the switch to an underarm throw.

Any video link showing that please..

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Good excuse to show off one of my finest hours :D
This is a good video showing off the actual mechanic in game, with the throwing arc, which doesn't appear in the replay.(skip to about 1 minute in)
Nice the second video shows the proper animation, and I can imagine syncing with the game really well.. Even on the run throw will be nice.. Even a trajectory line like it shows in the game for direct hit would be really good, so its not a perfect hit everytime..

Users who are viewing this thread