Pakistan tour of South Africa - 2018/19

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
What a talent this kid Azam is! I missed it live, but good decision to record it.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Good comeback by the bowlers, now we need to get Bavuma and QdK quickly and then wrap up the tail. I'd say a South African lead of below 50 would be excellent

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I still think Pakistan missed an opportunity not playing the fourth seamer (Faheem) over another batsman. He would suit these conditions as he seams it off the deck, rather than relying on swing in the air. It's not like the batsmen do much anyways.

It's a bit early, but not a convincing start this for Imam. Someone like Sami Aslam should have been given a longer go at it. Players like him and Asad Safiq need to feel some heat. There are too many higher quality players waiting in the wings like Fawad Alam. Similarly, Shan Masood should be given a longer run in ODI's if anything. His List A numbers are much better than first class cricket. Why in the world would keep dragging him along in Test match cricket. It makes no sense. Maybe some limited overs success might give him some confidence. He looked ok though, it has to be said. I just hope there is a clean filtering of the selection committee and we get some sensible people in there, but, that is always too much to ask in Subcontinental cricket.

Also, what a pleasure to see Steyn again. The only true last remaining remnants of a real fast bowler. Although with the likes of Rabada, Bumrah, Cummins, etc. there seems to be a bit of a reemergence. Probably one of the best ever, Steyn. Nice to see Babar go at him too. Was thrilling test match cricket to watch.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I still think Pakistan missed an opportunity not playing the fourth seamer (Faheem) over another batsman. He would suit these conditions as he seams it off the deck, rather than relying on swing in the air. It's not like the batsmen do much anyways.

It's a bit early, but not a convincing start this for Imam. Someone like Sami Aslam should have been given a longer go at it. Players like him and Asad Safiq need to feel some heat. There are too many higher quality players waiting in the wings like Fawad Alam. Similarly, Shan Masood should be given a longer run in ODI's if anything. His List A numbers are much better than first class cricket. Why in the world would keep dragging him along in Test match cricket. It makes no sense. Maybe some limited overs success might give him some confidence. He looked ok though, it has to be said. I just hope there is a clean filtering of the selection committee and we get some sensible people in there, but, that is always too much to ask in Subcontinental cricket.

Also, what a pleasure to see Steyn again. The only true last remaining remnants of a real fast bowler. Although with the likes of Rabada, Bumrah, Cummins, etc. there seems to be a bit of a reemergence. Probably one of the best ever, Steyn. Nice to see Babar go at him too. Was thrilling test match cricket to watch.
I agree Faheem should've played here instead of playing 3 openers (Fakhar, Imam, Shan). Also of all the three openers Shan had the most sound technic and confidence to play in these conditions.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Look at that talentless Imam UL Haq.. Just there because of his uncle who's paid these proteas to allow him to get a fifty. Shame on him! :clap

Am I stable enough to comment though? :lol[DOUBLEPOST=1545913451][/DOUBLEPOST]
I agree Faheem should've played here instead of playing 3 openers (Fakhar, Imam, Shan). Also of all the three openers Shan had the most sound technic and confidence to play in these conditions.

Shaan Masood has always been solid. He seems to have added a bit of stroke play to his game and there's definitely a change in mindset as well.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Disappointing shots from Ali and Shafiq. Overall though, Pakistan's intent and approach has been refreshing and brilliant to say the least.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Pakistan did a fairly good job conisdering the wicket. South Africa with these kind of pitches is asking for trouble to their own batsmen against our bowling lineup. Had Abbas been there South Africa would have bowled out under 100.

IF Pakistan somehow manages to set a target of 200. South Africa can choke big time here. Even 180 plus should be a defendble total here.

Steyn and Rabada are the real heroes for South Africa bowling. Styen though on his farewell run in my view doesnt hold much longer international future.

Oliver is another stephen finn, he was lucky playing against Pakistan being a lesser known figure. He wont be spare by other teams I m afraid.

Aamir, Shaheen and Hasan must fight harder here and wrap SA up

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
When the entire team is trying to show intent, Sarfaraz shows what he is capable of and that is a pair. As a captain you should be playing better. HE HAS TO GO! Post his captaincy he has started showing nerves and the pressure. Either relieve him or send him back to Domestic to get back his mojo. Shoaib Malik can lead the limited overs side and Ali or Azam can lead the test side.

B

Bigby Wolf

150 odd is still defendable on a wicket like this and a great chance for Pakistan to go 1-0 up in the series.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
150 odd is still defendable on a wicket like this and a great chance for Pakistan to go 1-0 up in the series.
It's indeed good considering the conditions and pitch. But South Africa will be playing on Day 3 surface not Day 5. So will not be a huge difference. Our bowlers will need to bowl their skin out to win this one.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
When the entire team is trying to show intent, Sarfaraz shows what he is capable of and that is a pair. As a captain you should be playing better. HE HAS TO GO! Post his captaincy he has started showing nerves and the pressure. Either relieve him or send him back to Domestic to get back his mojo. Shoaib Malik can lead the limited overs side and Ali or Azam can lead the test side.

I don't think he deserved an appointment in the first place. I also don't buy this BS that no-one else in PAK is capable of leading. The entire problem began with the appointment of Azhar Ali in limited overs. Because of that, they didn't make him test captain. Just like Pujara, Azhar Ali never gets credit for the runs he makes. In my opinion, he's one of the most complete test batsmen in world cricket and that's a job he should have landed post Misbah. I never felt he deserved to be in the limited overs squad, let alone lead it.

Coming to Ahmed, I think he's a terrific limited overs opener and a superb keeper. But, that's about it. He is not test material and he's a god awful captain in any format. It makes me so angry when Pakistan fans talk about the champion's trophy victory because they played good matches against India and England but the weaknesses were well and truly visible earlier. It makes me angry because I expect a team like the 90's from Pakistan. I don't think this lot is as talented but the difference in attitude and intent is chalk and cheese. As far as test cricket is concerned, I think after the SA led Smith side, Pakistan has been one of the best teams of the last ten years. Their bowling is always world class and while you're world class in that aspect, you will always be good in that format. Younus, Misbah, Shafiq and Ali have all been very very under rated. Sarfaraz is just awful tactically, but with the world cup looming he can't be sacked.

Hopefully, after the 2019 world cup, both India and Pakistan will see new captains. It will do the cricket for both countries a world of good.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
No one called Imam talentless. Discussions were about whether he is a team player in the way he plays, and whether his position is deserved, which is not legitimized by one innings. Secondly, he was dropped much earlier on in the game.

Nonetheless, I don't think 150 is a good target. Pakistan's bowling is good enough to eek out a win here, definitely. But this seems a bit below par. I think around 200 would have been a decent target here. Pakistan might miss Abbas.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Well that was superb from Amla and Elgar. 119 runs partnership in a 150 runs chase does put the nail in he coffin. South Africa's middle order is fragile and Pakistan did have armory in the bowling department but Amla was just a sheer class. He needed that innings as he has had a very poor year compared to previous years and his talent.

Users who are viewing this thread