Pakistan tour of South Africa - 2018/19

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I can't understand how Elgar was given not out by the third umpire. It's these small moments that make test match wins/losses. When was the last time two captains bagged pairs in the same test match?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
So i guess Haris Sohail will replace Zaman and Abbas will replace Hasan Ali. Imam saved by the second innings 50 and Sarfraz and Shafiq are under extreme pressure.
In 2013 Ajmal took a 10-fer in Cape Town, so we can hope that Yasir plays a bigger role.

Likely XI

Masood
Imam
Azhar
Haris
Babar
Shafiq
Sarfraz
Amir
Yasir
Shaheen
Abbas

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
150 was always a poor score to defend considering Abbas wasnt there as well but big responsibility lied towards middle order Pakistani batsmen. The team was in such a strong position and it appeard that Pakistan will cruise.to pile up a big score here to defend but suddenly wickets crumbled and history repeated. I strongly feel to drop Asad Shafiq the highly inconsistent batsman of them all. Get Harris Sohail in.

On the other hand, I was impressed with Imam for the very first time. He played with a lot of conviction and played some classic shots.

It wasnt a worst performance from Pakistan, we should realize the tough pitch as well and despite that it gave a run out of money to SA in patches. Good to see SA didnt choke perhaps they could had the score been 200+

The trick is there for South Africa though, Induct a debutant or a lesser known figure and make hime a hero as well as win a match.

As far as Sarfraz goes, There are still two test matches remain and he can regain his form with the bat. We shouldnt forget that he played a crucical role with his bat against Australia recently when Pakistan was 5 down for 50.

Anyhow, My team for the next game if all players required players are fit.

1. Imam Ul Haq
2. Shan Masood
3. Azhar Ali
4. Haris Sohail
5. Babar Azam
6. Sarfraz Ahmed
7. Fahim Ashraf
8. Amir
9. Abbas
10. Shaheen Shah
11. Yasir Shah

Last edited:

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
In addition, Its a bad idea to change captain prior to this close to World Cup. Dont try to mix two different formats. It will unsettle our team. Sarfraz should be backed and should be there as captain till World Cup. That should be our only goal at the moment to show a good performance in World Cup. Rizwan cannot bring that excitement and great performances with his bat remember. Sarfraz is going with a bad patch and he should be supported though he needs to get calmer and shouldnt yell a lot.

I understand Malik appears to be good as captain with his chrisma and all but he has been tried and tested. I wont ask for trouble for team by hoping to have a new captain just before World Cup. Let the team stabilize and dont jump in media bandwagon

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I think after this series we'll be left wondering about what would've happened if things went slightly differently. What if Amla hadn't been dropped and Elgar was given out? What if we had scored a big total in the 2nd innings?
Just like what if we hadn't collapsed at Edgbaston in 2016? What if we hadn't lost 10 wickets in a session in NZ in the tour that followed? What if we didn't fall 40 runs short at the Gabba and not collapsed at the MCG in Australia in late 2016? It's been the same story for most tours outside Asia since 2016.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I think it's time for Shafiq to go and Saad Ali or Usman Salahuddin to be given a chance. I'd say first select Fawad Alam, but that's not going to happen.
None of them are in the squad, so i guess Rizwan could replace Shafiq, or the three openers would all play and Haris replaces him.

Salman.

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Rizwan cannot bring that excitement and great performances with his bat remember.
He has scored hell a lot of runs and is in the form of his life atm.[DOUBLEPOST=1546016108][/DOUBLEPOST]
When was the last time two captains bagged pairs in the same test match?
This is the first instance.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I don't understand this lust amongst Indian and Pakistani fans to drop people after one or two tests. Give people a full series. When you drop guys mid series, you don't help the guy going out and you don't help the bloke coming in.

Most importantly, when touring you don't utilise the experience of the failures of the first tests. People derive practice, adaptation, knowledge and learn from it.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I agree with giving full series to players. Even if the selection is problematic, you should at least give an entire series to players. Having said that, I think much of the frustration boils over from the realization within this fan base that a lot of deserving players aren't picked because they're not the 'in' group. There is far too much favouritism and nepotism within these cultures. Either way, I would go with the same lineup in the second test. The only change I might consider is playing Faheem over one of the batsmen. I would go with Asad Shafiq. To give Rizwan one game in the middle like that might not be fair. A fourth seamer could be handy, depending on the conditions.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I don't understand this lust amongst Indian and Pakistani fans to drop people after one or two tests. Give people a full series. When you drop guys mid series, you don't help the guy going out and you don't help the bloke coming in.

Most importantly, when touring you don't utilise the experience of the failures of the first tests. People derive practice, adaptation, knowledge and learn from it.
You give people full series to those who are new. Not players who are consistently failing.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You give people full series to those who are new. Not players who are consistently failing.
That's true, but if you put the context of Pakistan's batting lineup into it then it doesn't make much sense.

Why should Shafiq go? He scored a century in his last match. Before that, he was out of form but he scored a few 40's which indicated he's coming to form. There's no sufficient reason to justify dropping anyone at this point, batsmen struggled in this test match and both sides bowled well. The Pakistani team probably has to get a hard talk about the collapses from the coach but any "big changes" shouldn't be made next match.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
That's true, but if you put the context of Pakistan's batting lineup into it then it doesn't make much sense.

Why should Shafiq go? He scored a century in his last match. Before that, he was out of form but he scored a few 40's which indicated he's coming to form. There's no sufficient reason to justify dropping anyone at this point, batsmen struggled in this test match and both sides bowled well. The Pakistani team probably has to get a hard talk about the collapses from the coach but any "big changes" shouldn't be made next match.
Do you think Shafiq's responsibility gets over by scoring a hundred on the last game and that to in a losing cause? Why couldn't he finish the game in 4th innings?

Players like Shafiq were preferred over Fawad. What PCB and team gained by investing in Shafiq? Shafiq had to prove that he was worth picking up all those players who have 50+ average and 50+ SR in domestic.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Do you think Shafiq's responsibility gets over by scoring a hundred on the last game and that to in a losing cause? Why couldn't he finish the game in 4th innings?

Players like Shafiq were preferred over Fawad. What PCB and team gained by investing in Shafiq? Shafiq had to prove that he was worth picking up all those players who have 50+ average and 50+ SR in domestic.
I was referring to where you said players "that are consistently failing". Shafiq has been inconsistent, not consistently failing. He's an experienced player from the Mis-You era, Pakistan needs someone like him alongside Azhar Ali. He needs a few matches, you can't just drop him after one test match on an overseas tour.

As for Fawad Alam, there's politics around with him not being selected.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I was referring to where you said players "that are consistently failing". Shafiq has been inconsistent, not consistently failing. He's an experienced player from the Mis-You era, Pakistan needs someone like him alongside Azhar Ali. He needs a few matches, you can't just drop him after one test match on an overseas tour.

As for Fawad Alam, there's politics around with him not being selected.
I agree. But as a senior player you have to deliver more. Hope if Shafiq plays he can perform like Rahane did.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
A little bit of an overreaction from the media regarding the game. Pakistan's attack bowled pretty well for the most part, and they will be boosted by the inclusion of Abbas. The lower order seems weak though, Amir is not a #8. Might be unfair on Yasir, but anyone fancy playing Shadab? The guy can bat and he can do a decent job with the ball too. Might be able to plug a hole in that lower order and strengthen it.

Users who are viewing this thread