Premier League

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
I'd say this is a good signal of intent. All three signings in Wilson, Fraser and Lewis will bolster your ranks without a doubt as well as Hendrick who is a reliable fringe player. Still a lot of room for improvement with Saint-Maximin but he has looked very promising, but with these players around him I think Newcastle are gonna look pretty threatening going forward this season.

I'll see your optimism, and raise you Steve Bruce's idea of attacking football. See tonight and one Carroll, Andy starting over Almiron.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
And this game is why I was never enthusiastic or on board with the Doherty signing. He is barely an upgrade on Aurier and when you're signing someone as a replacement you want the player to be a moderate upgrade at the very least. Richarlison made numerous runs unmarked with James switching play frequently and this could have been a heavy defeat had the Brazilian bloke actually figured how to shoot.

A midfield of Winks and Hojbjerg is extremely stale too. Neither is going to provide the progressive passing or movement required to break down an organised defence. Hojbjerg in particular was shocking, never thought he was going to be top six quality and it showed today. We need Lo Celso back desperately or Ndombele back to full fitness to actually play through the midfield.

Everton were superb though, can see them doing a Leicester like run this season if James stays fit. Their midfield had three new signings and it looked like they were all playing together for years![DOUBLEPOST=1600024550][/DOUBLEPOST]
2-0 win though so the boy is doing summit right!

Steve Bruce strangely has been a manager who has performed an adequate to good job in most jobs he has taken somehow, despite playing some dodgy football. But then, it is West Ham who have looked like they are on the cusp of a riot for several seasons now which might come true this season.

D

Dutch

And this game is why I was never enthusiastic or on board with the Doherty signing. He is barely an upgrade on Aurier and when you're signing someone as a replacement you want the player to be a moderate upgrade at the very least. Richarlison made numerous runs unmarked with James switching play frequently and this could have been a heavy defeat had the Brazilian bloke actually figured how to shoot.

A midfield of Winks and Hojbjerg is extremely stale too. Neither is going to provide the progressive passing or movement required to break down an organised defence. Hojbjerg in particular was shocking, never thought he was going to be top six quality and it showed today. We need Lo Celso back desperately or Ndombele back to full fitness to actually play through the midfield.

Everton were superb though, can see them doing a Leicester like run this season if James stays fit. Their midfield had three new signings and it looked like they were all playing together for years!
Ancelotti is a cunning little bloke. And I never tire of Mourinho becoming a cropper.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England

Everton were superb though, can see them doing a Leicester like run this season if James stays fit. Their midfield had three new signings and it looked like they were all playing together for years![DOUBLEPOST=1600024550][/DOUBLEPOST]

Steve Bruce strangely has been a manager who has performed an adequate to good job in most jobs he has taken somehow, despite playing some dodgy football. But then, it is West Ham who have looked like they are on the cusp of a riot for several seasons now which might come true this season.

Steve Bruce actually has one of the worst managerial records in the Premier League of all managers in visage of 100 games +

Bevab

Staff Member
Steve Bruce actually has one of the worst managerial records in the Premier League of all managers in visage of 100 games +

I imagine that his record has fallen off the cliff in recent seasons, he seemed better in the earlier days. A club of Newcastle's size with a passionate fanbase deserves way better than him and the crook Ashley though.[DOUBLEPOST=1600028362][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ancelotti is a cunning little bloke. And I never tire of Mourinho becoming a cropper.

Never was onboard with the Mourinho appointment but thought he earned himself a bit of goodwill with his post-lockdown form. I cannot see him as a manager who will perform with what he has though, over the last decade he has always needed a few key signings to get his teams performing well and Tottenham look unlikely to sign anyone of that calibre.

D

Dutch

I imagine that his record has fallen off the cliff in recent seasons, he seemed better in the earlier days. A club of Newcastle's size with a passionate fanbase deserves way better than him and the crook Ashley though.[DOUBLEPOST=1600028362][/DOUBLEPOST]

Never was onboard with the Mourinho appointment but thought he earned himself a bit of goodwill with his post-lockdown form. I cannot see him as a manager who will perform with what he has though, over the last decade he has always needed a few key signings to get his teams performing well and Tottenham look unlikely to sign anyone of that calibre.
Yeah Tottenham had their chance to go stellar a couple of years back but faltered in their Premiership chase and their Champions League demise. I can see them falling away from the top again and become sub top again. Arsenal on the other hand are going in the right direction. I am really looking forward to see if Ole can keep the momentum going.

Bevab

Staff Member
Yeah Tottenham had their chance to go stellar a couple of years back but faltered in their Premiership chase and their Champions League demise. I can see them falling away from the top again and become sub top again. Arsenal on the other hand are going in the right direction. I am really looking forward to see if Ole can keep the momentum going.

One thing that is missed out by most is that Tottenham are one of the bigger clubs hit hardest by the pandemic. You've finally opened one of the best multi-purpose stadiums in Europe that went way over budget? Too bad, now with the pandemic you don't earn money from gate receipts for quite sometime and the other events you want to host may take even longer.

I'm expecting them to finish in sixth place with two options then unfolding. If he wins a trophy (best case scenario: Europa League securing Champions League qualification) I'm expecting Mourinho to stay as he will no doubt point to that as a sign of progress very publicly. I expect this to then lead onto the classic third season Mourinho filled with sub-optimal performances, rants for not getting him the signings he asked for, a mid-table position around Christmas and his sacking.

In the second timeline, he has no trophy and Levy realises that the club has grown tired of his mentality, they fall out and he is sacked before pre-season. We then try to get a fresh, young and project-oriented manager in (dream would be Nagelsmann whose Bayern dream is not going to happen for a while given the impact of Flick).

No matter what happens though, I expect the club to operate with a reduced ambition of just making into European football while waiting for the stadium to pay itself off. While we don't have a Wenger who guarantees Champions League football despite the sale of key players and lack of funds, given the massive amounts in the TV deal these days and the revenue possible from the stadium I expect us to get back into serious contention sooner than later. The signings of Doherty, Hojbjerg and a potential 'backup' striker already point to this reduced ambition. Once the club is back on a much more financially secure footing, we might see a serious attempt at last from ENIC to establish the club firmly in the top four. Or else, we are sold to a prospective owner now that we have a big stadium and are worth more than a billion.

The only things breaking this cycle would be overachievement from our manager(s) with the limited resources and the key issue will be holding onto the talents at the club. Would someone like Lo Celso still want to play here when they could challenge for top honours in a bigger club?

D

Dutch

Jack grealish is an utter legend: signs a new 5 year Aston Villa deal despite some very keen interest.

"This is my home, this is my club!"

Users who are viewing this thread