PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Just gonna leave this here.

ECB should break the global silence on Pakistan's sad and strange IPL exile | Jonathan Liew | Sport | The Guardian

Not only should the ECB break its silence, but every Cricket board should also at least ask for a credible reason from India that why is this happening. Sports and politics aren't to be mixed.
It’s a very complicated matter. I am personally in favour of things staying the way they are until everything is resolved (and I don’t see that happening under the current governments).
It’s better for Pakistani players not to play in such a hostile environment. For ICC events held in India, obviously they have to go.

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
Avengers
Ok ill try my best to answer this. I'll try my best to not be biased and remember these are not my beliefs, but rather what I think is the reason behind your question.

Why were Pakistani players banned from the Ipl?

It was 26th Nov 2008 when Mumbai was under siege by ten terrorists who made their way from Pakistan to India (which till date is denied by Pakistan). Despite all evidence pointing at Laskar-e-Taiba, Pakistan refused to prosecuting the perpetrators. As a result, the Indian government decided to snap all ties with Pakistan and no longer allowed the Pakistani players to join the IPL.

Can BCCI do anything?

No, the government is more powerful than the BCCI. Even then, the Ipl is seperate from the BCCI. The BCCI does not fully own and dictate the IPL.

With assured safety, cant pakistani players play?

First of all the outrage from the Indian public would not compensate for added pakistani viewership. Also, due to the 4 overseas limit, not more than 3-4 pakistani players will play all matches. Too much risk very little reward.
Also imagine if the pakistani players are attacked while in the Ipl or if there is a repeat of the 2008 attacks. This wouldnt be a cricketing issue then and we might also see the two countries stop playing each other in ICC events

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
As a result, the Indian government decided to snap all ties with Pakistan and no longer allowed the Pakistani players to join the IPL.
Not too long ago, Zimbabwe and South Africa got banned for political interference from their respective governments. Double standards here from ICC for cash-rich India and Zimbabwe/South Africa?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Zimbabwe's suspension had to do with their government interfering in the board's election to get the members they wanted in power. I can't recall South Africa being banned in recent times unless you mean apartheid? Not sure how both of those are comparable to the present situation with the BCCI, which is a completely private entity (although our government is doing it's best to get it's hands deep into it's coffers).

As for the perceived ban, has there been any official ban on Pakistani cricketers participating these days? I remember one being issued informally in 2009 which resulted in the players pulling out of safety concerns. If they were to put themselves in the auction today, it would very likely be a repeat of the 2010 auction where a total of zero Pakistani players were picked up despite even being shortlisted, including former purple cap holder Sohail Tanvir who was very critical of this move. In that case, what could even be legally done? IPL owners do not bid for several good T20 stars in other leagues too, the likes of CdG, Maxi, Lewis, Fizz have all gone unsold in recent times and you cannot pursue a legal case (in what court anyways?) accusing the owners of bias when they could simply point fingers elsewhere at the foreign quota limitation or the wage cap. I don't believe in the theory that Pakistani players won't have anything to offer to the IPL, someone like Shaheen Afridi, Wahab Riaz, Shadab Khan, Asif Ali and even Babar Azam are likely to be picked up if they could be snapped up cheaply. But, will any owner risk taking the potential controversial hit in the current political climate? Further, will any Pakistani player feel truly secure, both externally and internally to put themselves in the auction?

I also don't believe in this fairytale of Sport and Politics being two separate entities. No, through most human history sport has always been political. A football match in the Central Americas brought about a war, equally a football match in Africa laid the foundation for a civil war to end. Popular sporting events like the World Cup and Olympics have been utilized by host countries for 'sportswashing' their image to the global world (Nazi Germany, Argentina's military dictatorship, USSR's communist regime and the upcoming Qatar World Cup to name a few) and you've had a few athletes and countries even pullout or threaten to do so. If Sport and Politics were not to be mixed, you would have never had the apartheid ban on South Africa for two decades for one. Now do I wish for them to be so intertwined instead of being separate entities? No, I wish politics were not this influential on sport but to believe that politics and sports are separate entities which will not be mixed is an unfortunately naive stance IMO, just like how people globally are realizing that politics has always played a huge role in most facets of life ranging from entertainment to even science throughout human history.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  • Jadeja speaking as fast as he gets through his overs.
  • Pandey's speech reads like someone is holding him at gunpoint.
  • Also Virat "right arm quick" Kohli. :lol
  • Darren Bravo sneaking in some nepotism with the mention of his brother too!
  • Interesting that Wasim has been leapfrogged by Babar Azam in the national setup despite the former having more leadership experience.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
  • Interesting that Wasim has been leapfrogged by Babar Azam in the national setup despite the former having more leadership experience.
Reeza “Right Arm Dibbly Dobbly” Hendricks :lol

B

Bigby Wolf

Smith winking his Right Eye.
Reeza Hendricks Dibbly Dobbly bowler.
James Pattinson favorite cricketer - Up and coming fast bowler Peter Siddle.

Users who are viewing this thread